Flying to Miami for cruise

pharmSCgirl

Hey, so I am planning a really last minute cruise. It would leave next monday. Looking for a cheap flight to Miami. Still not sure whether we will be going Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. Do they both have where they will pick you up at the airport? Or shuttles that will take you there. Never been on either cruise line so I'm kinda freaking out. Any and all info is welcome. Thanks!

Most people recommend taking a taxi from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami cruise port. The taxi is most likely less expensive for 2 or more people.

Edited by clarea

Not necessarily specific to RCI or NCL, but even though they can take your last minute booking most cruise lines cut off the addition of pre-cruise "extras" such as airport transfers to the booking anywhere from 4 or 5 days to a couple weeks before the sailing date.

But as already mentioned, the cost of a taxi from MIA to PortMiami will be less than the cost of two transfers.

You should plan to fly into Miami on Sunday, if your cruise leaves Monday. This is Labor Day weekend; a busy time for travel.

Suggest you purchase airfare ASAP. Use this webpage to search for airfare (you'll have to search Southwest's page separately if you are interested in their prices) and then go to the airline's webpage to book:

http://www.matrix.itasoftware.com

As stated already, just take a cab to/from the ship.

Edited by 6rugrats

Cheap flights may be hard to find this close to departure date: probably about $400 from Columbia, SC. If OP is still in South Carolina, driving is an option. Amtrak to Miami would be less expensive than flying - and bus could be considered. The problem with grabbing a great, cheap last minute cruise fare is that it usually cannot be paired with a great, cheap last minute air fare.

Also try airfare to Fort Lauderdale. We have an upcoming cruise out of Miami, but for us (Atlanta), airfare is cheaper if we fly to FLL instead of MIA. There are five of us, so the saving is significant. We will rent a car in Miami for drop off in FLL, where we will drop four off at port, and then the driver will go to the car rental near the port and be shuttled back to the port. Again,with five, the savings will be significant. Don't know if it would pay off for you, but at least check the price. We always go a day early and we have a hotel in Miami.

Also try airfare to Fort Lauderdale. We have an upcoming cruise out of Miami, but for us (Atlanta), airfare is cheaper if we fly to FLL instead of MIA. There are five of us, so the saving is significant. We will rent a car in Miami for drop off in FLL, where we will drop four off at port, and then the driver will go to the car rental near the port and be shuttled back to the port. Again,with five, the savings will be significant. Don't know if it would pay off for you, but at least check the price. We always go a day early and we have a hotel in Miami.

I agree with this. We live in NJ and the flights are always cheaper from Newark to FLL compared to MIA.

Do you know what rental car agencies are closest to port of Miami that offer a free shuttle back to port when dropping off rental? Edited by roe2ship

Hey, so I am planning a really last minute cruise. It would leave next monday. Looking for a cheap flight to Miami. Still not sure whether we will be going Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. Do they both have where they will pick you up at the airport? Or shuttles that will take you there. Never been on either cruise line so I'm kinda freaking out. Any and all info is welcome. Thanks!

You are hoping for a cheap flight on Labor Day weekend? I'm hoping to win the lottery and I'll bet my chances are better than yours.