Pacific Princess itinerary change from Kusdasi to Sarande Albania

Cornish Maid

had notification last week which I am completely okay with due to ongoing unrest and out of an abundance of caution port change from Kusdasi to Sarande, Albania. This is a tender port and wandered if anyone has any information on this port and Albania for example, currency, what is there to do and are taxis or hop on hop off buses available. Any information and advice would be much appreciated please.

The last time we were in the area, there was little in the way of

tourist interstructure. This was three years ago. This would

be one place that I would consider a Princess tour. We went to

a town up in the mountains, with an arch bridge that was the highlight.

We were able to purchase so handmade items from the local women.

Please note this is a place you need to dress covered.

I guess we'll start seeing a lot more ships calling here, because they need a non-EU port to avoid charging VAT on all onboard purchases. Kusadasi was their best draw for that. So if you have to pay up for a ship's excursion, figure it's using what otherwise would have been VAT down the drain...

You absolutely will want to visit the UNESCO Heritage Site of Butrint. Princess is offering an excursion that goes there. http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=E&exType=S&tourCode=SN2-200

You might also try to search to see if there are private guides that will pick you up at the dock to take you there. But if Sarande were on my itinerary, I would make a point of getting out to see that archaeological site.

Edit to add....

A quick bit of research reveals that while the port of call is called Sarande (with and "e"), the tender will actually arrive at the ferry dock in Saranda (with an "a"). They are close to one another. And there will be taxis at the dock. If there is one thing that you can always count on, it is that the locals who depend on visitors for income will know the schedule inside and out and will be there to greet you. It will be a small port with limited facilities. But you have the advantage of being on a small ship so your passenger load won't overrun it. If you don't want to take the ship's excursion to Butrint, you can apparently take a taxi and hire your own guide at the site entrance. See here:

http://www.butrintfoundation.co.uk/#!contact/c1d94

Edited by JimmyVWine

wondered if anyone has any information on this port and Albania for example, currency,

Currency is the lek. 100 qindarka = 1 lek.

The Albanian currency is called "Lek". It is impossible to buy or use Leks anywhere else -- you cannot even exchange Leks outside of Albania, as it is a restricted currency. They do accept Euro in some places in Tirana, and also Pounds and American Dollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_lek#Second_lek

The Albanian currency is called "Lek". It is impossible to buy or use Leks anywhere else -- you cannot even exchange Leks outside of Albania, as it is a restricted currency. They do accept Euro in some places in Tirana, and also Pounds and American Dollars.

We were there on a P&O ship in early August the town is small but the national park was interesting however there are 2 levels so not for everyone with a lot of steps and walking round, we bought a fridge magnet and two beers using euros and had no problem. No work worrying about currency if you are only on a day stop.

had notification last week which I am completely okay with due to ongoing unrest and out of an abundance of caution port change from Kusdasi to Sarande, Albania. This is a tender port and wandered if anyone has any information on this port and Albania for example, currency, what is there to do and are taxis or hop on hop off buses available. Any information and advice would be much appreciated please.

Already a current thread on this......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2393807

Seems not wise to do a tour on your own.

Seems not wise to do a tour on your own.

Why is that? The vast majority of visitors who arrive at Sarande Dock (and who visit Butrint), are not associated with cruise ships. So by definition, they tour "on their own" and make out just fine. This isn't really a "cruise ship port". It is a port now being used as one at least for the time being. They are quite accustomed to receiving day guests who ferry over from Corfu. When the ships' tenders arrive, it will be exactly the same, only with more people arriving at the same time. From what I now see on the Princess website, there is only one excursion available through the ship and I doubt that it can accommodate everyone. So once it sells out, others are going to have to be willing to tour on their own, elsewise they will have to stay on board the ship.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Why is that? The vast majority of visitors who arrive at Sarande Dock (and who visit Butrint), are not associated with cruise ships. So by definition, they tour "on their own" and make out just fine. This isn't really a "cruise ship port". It is a port now being used as one at least for the time being. They are quite accustomed to receiving day guests who ferry over from Corfu. When the ships' tenders arrive, it will be exactly the same, only with more people arriving at the same time. From what I now see on the Princess website, there is only one excursion available through the ship and I doubt that it can accommodate everyone. So once it sells out, others are going to have to be willing to tour on their own, elsewise they will have to stay on board the ship.

Thanks for the info.