Upgrade Fairy

JoRoy218

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday to receive an email re: upgrade offer from Deluxe Balcony to Mini-Suite. Always the skeptic, I checked out the location of the cabin before accepting. Regal Princess and New England, we're ready! Anyone else have the same luck recently?

Yes I believe it is. We originally booked DB mid-aft for $1500pp and was offered mini-suite in mid-forward for additional $229pp. These cabins are listed for $2499. We were just talking the other day about booking inside cabins on future cruises in order to cruise longer. Just can't cruise enough huh? Enjoy your cruise!

It seems like Princess now offer upsells instead of the free upgrades that they used to do. I've Just taken 3 upsells for 2017 from mini suites to full suites saving about £500 ($650) on each one, from their listed price. I hope that as they are so way out, time wise, that I've done the right thing and that I'll be a happy bunny on this one:)

It seems like Princess now offer upsells instead of the free upgrades that they used to do. I've Just taken 3 upsells for 2017 from mini suites to full suites saving about £500 ($650) on each one, from their listed price. I hope that as they are so way out, time wise, that I've done the right thing and that I'll be a happy bunny on this one:)

For sure.......its all about the extra $$$. :(

It seems like Princess now offer upsells instead of the free upgrades that they used to do.

Can't say that I blame them. With literally thousands of people booked for a cruise, they are almost assured of finding people who will pay for that which they used to give away.

On our July cruise to Alaska, we booked an obstructed view guarantee on the Coral. We were assigned E505 (what we paid for) about 3 weeks before sailing.

Apparently Princess wanted our cabin. They offered an upsell to a balcony for $250 each. We declined. Then they offered the same upsell for 4200 pp. We declined. Finally, the upgraded us to a mini which didn't have a balcony. That we were thrilled with. It was right at the front of the ship net to the door to the out side viewing area.

I was just offered an upsell on our New England Oct cruise. 5 day cruise. We have an obstucted deluxe balcony and was offered mini suite for $150pp. We did not take the upsell. Do you all think we should have? We are very happy with the location of the balcony we chose.

Laura

I was just offered an upsell on our New England Oct cruise. 5 day cruise. We have an obstucted deluxe balcony and was offered mini suite for $150pp. We did not take the upsell. Do you all think we should have? We are very happy with the location of the balcony we chose.

Laura

Since you asked, this is an upsell I would have taken.

Laura

I would have turned it down too. We were offered a similar upsell once. We had one of the big balconies, on the Island Princess, for a four-day cruise. For $100pp, we could have upgraded to a mini-suite. Basically we would have gotten a sofa, an extra TV, and a bathtub, but the balcony was half the size. :eek: IMHO, it wasn't worth it.

I would have turned it down too. We were offered a similar upsell once. We had one of the big balconies, on the Island Princess, for a four-day cruise. For $100pp, we could have upgraded to a mini-suite. Basically we would have gotten a sofa, an extra TV, and a bathtub, but the balcony was half the size. :eek: IMHO, it wasn't worth it.

The room we have is in the front of the ship with a large balcony but there are mini suites right next to our cabin which make me question it.But that money we save can go toward our drink package!

Laura

Can you tell me why? Maybe I can change my mind.

There is no right or wrong answer, as we all have different wants and needs. As for me, I would take the upsell. On this particular itinerary, I don't think that the larger balcony outweighs the addition of the sofa sitting area (or bathtub.) On port days, you will be off the ship. On sea days, (10/23 and 10/26), there won't be any scenery to see from the balcony, and it could be pretty chilly and/or rainy. While one never can be certain in advance, I would hedge my bet that I might want a small but usable balcony and a sofa as my seating options instead of large balcony and the edge of the bed. Plus, my wife is pretty insistent on having a bathtub on any trip longer than 2 days. But I concede that this is purely idiosyncratic.

There is no right or wrong answer, as we all have different wants and needs. As for me, I would take the upsell. On this particular itinerary, I don't think that the larger balcony outweighs the addition of the sofa sitting area (or bathtub.) On port days, you will be off the ship. On sea days, (10/23 and 10/26), there won't be any scenery to see from the balcony, and it could be pretty chilly and/or rainy. While one never can be certain in advance, I would hedge my bet that I might want a small but usable balcony and a sofa as my seating options instead of large balcony and the edge of the bed. Plus, my wife is pretty insistent on having a bathtub on any trip longer than 2 days. But I concede that this is purely idiosyncratic.

But, as a deluxe obstructed, this does have a couch! I wouldn't have taken the upsell either (unless it was to one of the minis right at the front). Those cabins on the royal and regal are our absolute favorites!

Was pleasantly surprised yesterday to receive an email re: upgrade offer from Deluxe Balcony to Mini-Suite. Always the skeptic, I checked out the location of the cabin before accepting. Regal Princess and New England, we're ready! Anyone else have the same luck recently?

Got an upsell offer on our upcoming Alaskan Cruise on The Ruby. For $150pp got into a front mid aft balcony (BB)from an aft aft obstructed ocean view room. I grabbed that one up! Originally booked just an obstructed OV to use the "saved" monies for Alaska's expensive tours. Now I have both tours and BB balcony cabin!! Can't wait!

Pooh

Can you tell me why? Maybe I can change my mind.

Sorry for the delay, ran out the door after my post. For MYSELF, I would like the extra room, sofa, and bathtub. Given the information you posted, your balcony sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise. We are booked on the Regal Christmas cruise in an obstructed balcony. I would love an upsell, but, if not, am very satisfied with the great price I am getting on the sailing.

ETA: I understand completely using the $300 towards the drink package! Also, see where you have the sofa already.

Marie

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Upgrades continue to exist!

My DH and I are booked on the 10/27/16 Regal Princess repositioning cruise from NY to the Caribbean,disembarking in Fort Lauderdale

We booked a Deluxe Balcony cabin ( DB) on Caribe deck.

This past Monday, we received an e mail from Princess notifying us of a complementary upgrade to a Mini Suite (MB). At no cost to us, we now have a cabin with a comfortable sitting area,a large bathroom and a balcony measuring 72 square feet.

The deluxe balcony had a balcony measuring 44 square feet. This size difference is appreciated by us because we enjoy room service breakfast and afternoon snacks on the balcony.

I do not know how Princess decides on how upgrades are given to passengers.

There are a number of theories about this.

We are Platinum level on Princess,after cruising with them since 2004.

It has taken us 12 years to get this upgrade.

Not sure of the rhyme or reason for moving us to this Mini Suite,but we are very pleased and look forward to.an enjoyable cruise !

He never comes to my house :eek: Congratulations have a Great Cruise!!

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO