disembarking at port canaveral - flight from Tampa

mupix

We reach port canaveral at 7.30AM back from a disney cruise. I was wondering if booking a flight out of tampa at 2.30 pm is okay or should I book for a different time. Checking out the map it looks like a 2.5 hr drive from port canaveral to tampa airport. Assuming we disembark by 9 Am and pick up a rental by 10 , we should still make it to Tampa by 1 PM.

Looking for opinions...thanks

We live about midway between the port and Tampa. If all the stars align and there are no traffic accidents, you would make it. Interstate 4 can get very congested. But I haven't flown out of Tampa in years, so don't know the airport and wait times there.

I'm such a wimp, I would probably choose a later time to avoid possible stress.

Try posting on the Florida departure board. You may get better information there.

Fly out of Orlando .That trip on I-4,is brutal .It takes you past all the exits for theme parks and backs up regularly .It would probably take you 21/2 hours under perfect conditions but any glitch and good luck .I would rather drink bleach than drive on I-4.

Why would you fly out of Tampa when Orlando is right along the way and much closer? :confused:
Please tell me that there is some reason why you would bypass MCO for TPA? The price differential needs to be huge and/or the routing factor. You're looking at more traffic, longer distance and usually higher flight costs at TPA.

Coming from Port Canaveral we take the toll road 417 between the Beachline and I-4. That bypasses a lot of Orlando congestion to the South.

The interstate through the heart of Tampa is under construction and can get backed up Westbound even on a weekend.

Personally, I'd be nervous about that flight time as the airport just announced construction on the entry roads then there is the unknown security screening lines.

Please tell me that there is some reason why you would bypass MCO for TPA? The price differential needs to be huge and/or the routing factor. You're looking at more traffic, longer distance and usually higher flight costs at TPA.

Since OP has not returned to answer the question of "Why?" I'm guessing we'll never know.

• 3 weeks later...