Bahamas in Winter?

funnyfarm9988

Okay, condsidering a short cruise to the Bahamas in January-February 2017. What is the weather like then and whats a good destination.

The weather in The Bahamas in January and February can be much like Florida. If a cold snap goes through it will be cooler, but it could also be quite pleasant. It tends to be much windier that time of year, so even if it is warm, it can feel cooler. A hoodie is usually your friend cruising the Caribbean that time of year.

we're doing a 3-day to Nassau in December and only plan to shop and eat and drink. And drink. Did I say drink? it'll be plenty warm by the whisky.

We live in Florida and never go to the beach. I'm not worried about water temp as we don't really do a lot of water stuff and I think everything else will be fine. I expect it to be warmer than Orlando and Orlando in December is, more often than not, shorts and t-shirt weather.

But I'll let ya know after we get back.

Water temps in the ocean can get chilly - but there is plenty of people swimming anyways during the winter in Florida/Caribbean. If there isn't a cold front, it can be plenty hot and nice.

To put it in perspective. Water temps in the Northeast get in the mid 70's during the summer. In Florida, they are in the mid/low 70's in winter. It's not that bad.

Edited by BNBR

I was in Orlando in February, and in the nine days I was there, the lows were everything from 40-65 Fahrenheit and the highs were between 55-85. There should be less variation in the Bahamas given that it is surrounded by the ocean, but the weather should be similar. If you get a strong cold front that moves through, expect cooler temperatures.

A freezing temperature has never been recorded in the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in Orlando in February, and in the nine days I was there, the lows were everything from 40-65 Fahrenheit and the highs were between 55-85. There should be less variation in the Bahamas given that it is surrounded by the ocean, but the weather should be similar. If you get a strong cold front that moves through, expect cooler temperatures.

It has snowed in the Bahamas.

We went out of NYC 2 years ago in January. We happened to hit that Polar Vortex that no one had ever heard of before! The first port was Port Canaveral in Fl. It was pretty cold there. We went to Nassau and Freeport. Both of those days were in the low 70's. We went to a resort in Nassau and spent the day on the beach. I went in the water and thought it was fine. BUT, I'm from Massachusetts and I'm used to NH and Maine water! It was below zero at home while we were on the cruise so we felt pretty lucky to be enjoying 70 degree temperatures!

Like always the weather can be hit or miss. Check the forecast for the Bahamas often so you will know how to pack. It's pretty comparable to the weather in Florida.

We went to the Bahamas this past February. We wore shorts and snorkeled in Freeport at Paradise Cove Deadman's Reef. We did the Frommer's walking tour in Nassau and were sweating. Had an awesome time though! When we got back to Charleston, it was a bit chilly.

Little bit of luck involved with a winter trip to the Bahamas, just like hoping a hurricane doesn't come through during a summer/early fall trip there.

Cruised out of Charleston at the end of last December, went to Nassau and Freeport and we were lucky to have a 70 degree day going out of Charleston and it was mid 80's the rest of the trip.

Could be 80 and beautiful... Could be windy and 50s ... Depends if the cold fronts are on your side...

Ok....let's say it's 2 days of 80 and beautiful after 4 days of being windy and 50s. Will the ocean water be warm enough to swim?

Edited by VASOXFANN

I live in south florida, and there can be very big differences between Orlando and here in the winter. Orlando gets much colder, there can be a 20 degree difference (or more) easily. More then likely, it will be similar, though the cold snaps are not as bad down here.

Ok....let's say it's 2 days of 80 and beautiful after 4 days of being windy and 50s. Will the ocean water be warm enough to swim?

The water temperature doesn't vary that much. It will be about 70 degrees in January and February. That's not too cold for some but it's too cold for me. :)

Edited by CruisinCrow

How cold is too cold...how warm is warm enough? Very subjective. Kind of like is the food in the MDR good? Depends on your personal preferences. I hope you get what works for you!!!:)