Four hours in Ensenada

PrevailingConditions

On the return leg of the 14 day round trip from San Francisco to Hawaii aboard the Grand Princess we make a 4 hour visit to Ensenada, Mexico. While stationed in San Diego many years ago I visited Ensenada many times but my wife hasn't. She would like to find a Margarita and a bowl of nachos near the cruise port. I really am interested in venturing into the city. If you have a good suggestion, Thank you?

There are quite a few bars within walking distance of the ship or you can take the ships transportation to downtown. Be aware the locals are very aggressive to get you to check out their stores as you walk by. Also a lot of begging on the streets. That said, you can have a great time in the downtown area enjoying your margarita. There are 2 very famous bar/restaurants there, one chain claims to be where the margarita was invented. I can't for the life of me remember the names of the 2nd one but Pappas and Beers (?) is one I believe

There are quite a few bars within walking distance of the ship or you can take the ships transportation to downtown. Be aware the locals are very aggressive to get you to check out their stores as you walk by. Also a lot of begging on the streets. That said, you can have a great time in the downtown area enjoying your margarita. There are 2 very famous bar/restaurants there, one chain claims to be where the margarita was invented. I can't for the life of me remember the names of the 2nd one but Pappas and Beers (?) is one I believe

Hussongs would be the other....

On the return leg of the 14 day round trip from San Francisco to Hawaii aboard the Grand Princess we make a 4 hour visit to Ensenada, Mexico. While stationed in San Diego many years ago I visited Ensenada many times but my wife hasn't. She would like to find a Margarita and a bowl of nachos near the cruise port. I really am interested in venturing into the city. If you have a good suggestion, Thank you?

Just don't go too far.

I agree. We had to walk along in groups with fellow passengers just not to be intimidated. Other than that, we had a nice stroll.

I would avoid Papas and Beers. There are better places. Check Trip Advisor or look for Ensenada under the port section here on Cruise Critic for ideas.

Edited by ar1950

If you are looking for a "nice" place to take your wife I suggest you go somewhere other than Hussongs.

When we were there the group that we were with looked at Hussongs first and then went to Papas and Beers. I'm not sure, but, Hussong might have been a better place. Relatively speaking of course. I would advise avoiding them both. ;)

YMMV

Edit: To OP (PrevailingConditions), forget that I suggested Trip Advisor. I just looked at the reviews for both of these places and can only guess that someone had way too many watered down margaritas when they wrote those reviews (the relatively few one and two star reviews not withstanding).

Edited by ar1950

Several restaurant recommendations, starting with the least expensive.

Taquiera Mexico Lindo for tacos. In between Papas & Beer and Hussongs. The owner, Martín makes a very good scratch margarita. About 10-15 minute walk https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d1651490-Reviews-Taqueria_Mexico_Lindo-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

Guadalajara for birria. On Macheros between Ave Primera and Ave Segundo. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d3544806-Reviews-Birrieria_La_Guadalajara-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

This restaurant is closer to port, about 10 minutes. It's also has more seating.

Hacienda Del Charro on Ave Lopez has chickens on a rotisserie in the front window, hand made tortillas. We share half a chicken, be warned that it comes with lousy French fries. They makes good margaritas.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d8396117-Reviews-Hacienda_Del_Charro-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

Also 10-15 minutes from port.

Many restaurants serve Molcajete. A hot lava bowl filled with meat, cheese, napol, served with rice and beans. One is ample for two regular people.

FWIW never seen nachos in Ensenada.

Be very careful off Ave Primera/Lopez. The sidewalks have potholes.

We're doing HI in October. Taking a group and going to Guadalajara for dinner in Ensenada. Last time we went to Taquiera Mexico Lindo.

Edited by SadieN

I almost never get off the ship in Ensenada anymore (and I've been there a lot with the west coast cruises I tend to take.) Last year, I was with one of my daughters who wanted to see the place, so we went into town on the shuttle. The town was full of tourists from two ships, and the well-known beer places were packed. We saw the ship's shopping host having lunch at a place in the middle of town, so we figured that must be an okay spot. We had fish tacos and they were not bad. The problem is the wandering vendors selling trinkets. They pester you while you eat. I wouldn't say don't get off the ship, but maybe after your wife sees the place, she'll be satisfied and won't want to return. Everyone raves about the wine tour. I've never done it, but people say it's worth the trip. That might be an idea for you.

Papas and Beers I was there once I did not like it.

Tony

Maybe cause the 4hr stop is too short for the "free" tequila shots to rev up the wet T-shirt contest. A Carnival ship in town pumps up the party in town so much more. Was always the must stop for my boys.

Our first time in Ensenada we got off the ship and found a geocache then returned to the ship. On the walk into town there were small children trying to sell individual Chicklets gum pieces and other such stuff. Second trip we did the two winery tour. It was much better than being in town.

Our steward on the first trip was from Mexico. She warned us to be careful and asked that we please not judge her country or the Mexican people by Ensenada. This was before getting off the ship and was completely unsolicited advice. Apparently she didn't have a good opinion of the town.

Edited by Thrak

We really enjoyed the two winery tour, walked around in town after that and were hounded by vendors. That was it, back to the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having at one time worked in a huge winery we already knew a lot about the way things work. Of course the two winery tour in Ensenada is two small wineries. The lunch was fine and the wine they included was "OK". Be aware that the wine they have for sale at one of the stops can be had much cheaper in a store than purchasing it there at the winery.

I am not a particularly adventurous guy, but I have walked into Ensenada from the cruise port multiple times. Yes, I definitely stay on the streets where I see plenty of other gringos.

I can't say that the vendors are overly agressive. I find that a courteous "No, thank you" with a big smile works just fine. If I'm able to engage my brain quickly enough, I'll say, "No, gracias." :)

Here's something that I have noticed. Drivers are very courteous to pedestrians. Every time I walked up to an uncontrolled intersection, cross traffic stopped if I gave even the slightest indication that I wanted to cross the street. I would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.

• 1 month later...
Birrieria La Guadalajara Gets my vote. it's a cruise ship crew favorite, the food and drinks are good and not too expensive and the wifi is free !! We go there every time we are in Ensenada. :D

http://www.birrieriaguadalajara.com/menu.pdf

Leo, I had never heard of Birria, but, from the descriptions that I have now read, it sounds delicious.

I have to ask, though, what is the currency is that menu you posted? The "$" symbol makes me want to think U.S. dollars, but twenty-six U.S. dollars for a bottle of beer is not inexpensive.

Leo, I had never heard of Birria, but, from the descriptions that I have now read, it sounds delicious.

I have to ask, though, what is the currency is that menu you posted? The "$" symbol makes me want to think U.S. dollars, but twenty-six U.S. dollars for a bottle of beer is not inexpensive.

it's in pesos

Ensenada itself is a "town" of well over half a million people. They see the cruise ships coming and the prices are jacked up substantially. Get away from the tourists, high prices and vendors by doing a cruise line winery tour if they offer a shortened version of it. Get a taste of the 'real' Mexico.

The Guadeloupe Valley is gorgeous and takes about 45 mins. to get there but is well worth the more authentic, normal side of life. http://www.visitmexico.com/en/guadalupe-valley-in-ensenada There are no vendors hawking their wares and no little kids sent out by their parents to earn money. It reminds me very much of the wine region of Southern California. It's definitely worth the visit and some of the wine is surprisingly good!

Menu prices are in pesos. Both countries use the $ symbol. USSD$ is sometimes used for American.

Does Birrieria La Guadalajara accept American dollars? Do you have any suggestions on transportation from the cruise ship to the restaurants?

Yes, they accept American money. Decent exchange rate, posted by the register.

We walk there. Not more than 10 minutes. There will be shuttles and taxis at port. IIRC the shuttle stops way past the restaurant.

Be careful going down Macheros. At night use a flashlight. The sidewalk has a few stairs, the last one is high and uneven. Mom finds it easier to walk in the street.

Edited by SadieN