HAL Canceled Our Cruise... What Now?!?

BigWino

Yesterday I was reading USA Today and learned that Oosterdam would no longer be sailing to Europe this Spring. We had a deposit on the TA, what happens next?

Very disappointed to learn about the cancellation of the itinerary. Even more disappointed that HAL didn't have a way of contacting us and I learned of my vacation's cancellation through the press.

Boo HAL this is now no more :(:

countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=BigWino&date=3-31-2017&text=Transatlantic to Barcelona. Then Paris in the Spring!&ship=Oosterdam

Yesterday I was reading USA Today and learned that Oosterdam would no longer be sailing to Europe this Spring. We had a deposit on the TA, what happens next?

Very disappointed to learn about the cancellation of the itinerary. Even more disappointed that HAL didn't have a way of contacting us and I learned of my vacation's cancellation through the press.

countdown.pl?image=vfin&name=BigWino&date=3-31-2017&text=Transatlantic to Barcelona. Then Paris in the Spring!&ship=Oosterdam

If you scroll down this page you will see a huge thread on the Oosterdam sailings being cancelled. HAL has made arrangements for you to sail on other ships with the same per diem. Oosterdam is not the only one doing Europe.

It seems that HAL did notify the passengers either by email (if they booked directly with HAL) or through the TA's if you used a TA.

If you found out reading the paper, no wonder you are upset. But, HAL has made arrangements, scroll down to the Oosterdam thread and have a read and contact your TA or HAL (depending upon how you booked).

Contact your TA or HAL (depending upon how you booked).

You. Might also want to check your "junk" mail.

Edited by kazu

We are in the same "boat." I just found out yesterday, too. Here's the email my TA sent me from HAL:

Due to the increasing demand for more Alaska cruises, Holland America Line will redeploy ms Oosterdam from the Mediterranean to Alaska for the summer of 2017, where it will sail seven-day cruises roundtrip from Seattle.

Unfortunately, your client's Mediterranean sailing has now been cancelled and all current bookings will need to be rebooked. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and would like to assist you with rebooking your clients to another voyage.

Choose any Mediterranean voyage and your clients will be re-accommodated in the same (or equivalent) stateroom category at the same per diem rate paid or lower. On our website we offer a variety of Mediterranean itineraries, below are 2 sample voyages to consider. In addition a Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked:

* $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Pinnacle Suite bookings

* $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Neptune Suite bookings

* $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Signature Suite bookings

* $100 per person (up to $200 per stateroom) for Verandah Stateroom bookings

* $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Ocean-view Stateroom bookings

* $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Interior Stateroom bookings

12-Day Adriatic Dream

12-Day Mediterranean Rivieras

Your clients may select any Northern Europe voyage and the above Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked. Please note, your clients would be responsible for any difference in the per diem fare.

All the above Shipboard Credits are denominated in USD.

Cancellation Protection Plan cost and Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.

Should your clients elect not to rebook, we will refund any funds paid to Holland America Line in full.

We value each of our guests and travel partners and look forward to working with you.

Kind Regards,

Holland America Line

If you booked through a TA, wait for him/her to contact you and see what you will be offered by HAL.

This has happened to us a few times over the years. Most recent time was fall of 2015. We were booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks in the Caribbean in November. Then HAL decided to keep her in Europe a little longer. We were given the choice of a couple other ships and different weeks along with a nice shipboard cred credit. The amount of shipboard credit that is offered depends on the cabin category you book.

The Oosterdam will be going to Alaska next spring/summer. There was a thread on this last week.

• 1 month later...

I was on the Oostetdam sailing from Spain to Ft Lauderdale Mov 2017. I booked through a travel agent and was notified of the cancellation by email. HA did book us on another crui for the same rate. Very generous as the Transatlantic sailing was less expensive. The cruise we selected was 2 days longer. We were charged the same per diem daily rate for each additional day booked. We were happy with the cruise. Very generous of HA. The shipboard credit made the expense of two extra sail dates a nice insentive. hope your new cruise works out to your advantage!!

OP Did you use a TA? I its certainly part of their job tgo nogt only lerarrn of such cancerllations but also to tell their customers

If you used a TA you likely should speak with them.

If you booked on your own, how about CaLLING HAL TO get your questions answered ?

Edited by sail7seas

The Oosterdam repo changed other itineraries, too. We were booked on Amsterdam for a 14-day Alaska cruise in late May. They changed it from a Sunday to the preceding Monday. We were offered the Oosterdam 7-day to sail on the same date, but that ain't the same thing. 14 days is not the same as a 7 day B2B. Several folks on our roll call had already booked air. I don't know what they will end up doing as a result of the Oosterdam/Amsterdam thing out of Seattle.

Fortunately we can adapt, albeit with a lot of whining, and will depart May 22 instead of May 28.

Jim

The issue with this is that the meager OBC doesn't begin to cover the cost of r/t airfare between North America and Europe.

Additionally some people take TA's as they don't want to fly or unable to do so due to medical reasons.

I would also point out that on a TA the costs are pretty well set, on a European itinerary there will be costs associated with visiting ports. We looked at a TA and could take one for about $3000 including hotels at the beginning and end, alcohol, gratuities, airfare, pretty much everything except the actual cruise fare. The same length cruise in the same cabin only with Med ports and r/t airfare would tack in an additional $6000 minimum.

Additionally some people might take a TA for the shear experience of cruising, and might not be mobile enough for many of the European ports. It's not like swapping and eastern for western Caribbean or a Barcelona to Rome over Rome to Venice.

I don't think there should be a one size fits all solution, as swapping a TA for a Med cruise is no where near comparable.

The issue with this is that the meager OBC doesn't begin to cover the cost of r/t airfare between North America and Europe.

Additionally some people take TA's as they don't want to fly or unable to do so due to medical reasons.

I would also point out that on a TA the costs are pretty well set, on a European itinerary there will be costs associated with visiting ports. We looked at a TA and could take one for about $3000 including hotels at the beginning and end, alcohol, gratuities, airfare, pretty much everything except the actual cruise fare. The same length cruise in the same cabin only with Med ports and r/t airfare would tack in an additional $6000 minimum.

Additionally some people might take a TA for the shear experience of cruising, and might not be mobile enough for many of the European ports. It's not like swapping and eastern for western Caribbean or a Barcelona to Rome over Rome to Venice.

I don't think there should be a one size fits all solution, as swapping a TA for a Med cruise is no where near comparable.

I don't understand your complaint, if that is what it is. The Oosterdam itinerary that the OP was talking about was a westbound TA. Aren't there other ships doing westbound TA's in 2017? Unless I am misunderstanding, it is a matter of substituting one ship for another. I didn't understand that HAL was limiting a substitute cruise to only European cruises. I fully understand why someone might not want a port-intensive Med cruise. Nor do I, and that is why we take the TA's. Surely there must be other HAL ships doing them. No?

I don't understand your complaint, if that is what it is. The Oosterdam itinerary that the OP was talking about was a westbound TA. Aren't there other ships doing westbound TA's in 2017? Unless I am misunderstanding, it is a matter of substituting one ship for another. I didn't understand that HAL was limiting a substitute cruise to only European cruises. I fully understand why someone might not want a port-intensive Med cruise. Nor do I, and that is why we take the TA's. Surely there must be other HAL ships doing them. No?

Perhaps I misunderstood. I read it as anyone displaced would need to choose a Med cruise, not a different TA. If they are willing to offer a comparable TA at the same per diem for the same or better cabin, no worries. That said, it still could negatively impact a small population depending on the departure port, etc. I would hope they would manage the handful of special situations to come up with an equitable solution. For example someone booked into a HA cabin and there are none left on any of the crossings for example.

If I learned about a major change to my vacation in the newspaper, I'd be plenty mad at HAL and/or my TA! It's especially tough to have a TA cancelled because that isn't something the ship will do every week and you can just reschedule.

Reading this thread makes me wonder about insurance. We always do ours independently. So if your cruise is cancelled and you have to rebook, what happens to the insurance? They covered you for the time between buying it and the cancellation, but they don't have to pay since you get your money back. If you rebook, will any of the travel insurance companies let you move the insurance to the replacement booking? I'm thinking probably not, but curious to know if anyone has been in that situation.

In cir umstaances such as cdescribed here, some insurance companies, SOMETIMES will approve and permit co eravgvge for the cancelled cruise b e traqnsfderrred to a new booking. OIne must call gther company tgo get answer for their specific policy. They often vary so much, there is no one answer fits all.

HA was very lenient with our cancelled Transatlantic Oostetdam cruise. We rescheduled a trip to Hawaii with lots of sea days. We also considered a cruise through the Panama Canal. They would allow either itinerary for the same per diem rate. We were charged for the 2 additional days as the Hawaii trip was longer. The additional days were charged at the same daily rate. Very generous. Shipboard credit was also added. A full refund was another option.

We had something similar on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody. But they gave us only two weeks to make the switch the last two weeks in November. Yep, over Thanksgiving. Between Rhapsody OBC, Norovirus OBC and Next Cruise OBC, we had maybe $550. Tried to save some Shore Excursions for buying on the ship, but they sold out. Got a nice Specialty Dining Package though.

On HAL Rotterdam, they had some pretty fancy specialty dining offerings, including one (probably like Chef's table on other lines) well over $100 per person.

Edited by knittinggirl