How to SUCCESSFULLY Make a 7:50A Flight on Disembark Day - Allure/Port Everglades

Nado44

Got into the disembark line at 6:00 am. About 50 other pax were already in front of us... The only thing we'd do differently is get into the disembark line earlier, i.e. 5:45 am. By 6:15 am, the line grew to be a very long one.

Bob was right.

I don't think I would ever not listen to Bob.

I'd move the lining up part earlier, say 5am.
Edited by marci22

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2016 at 7:45 AM, Nado44 said:

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

Night Before: Pack Standard Sized Carry-On Bags

5:30A - Mobile Check-In via phone

6:00A - Line up for Self-Disembark

6:30A - Disembark

6:40A - Global Entry/Passport Control

6:45A - Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL Airport

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05A - Proceed to Gate

7:20A - Boarding

7:40A - Doors close

7:50A - Take off

I'm a type A traveler and this would stress me out.  Glad there are those who like living on the edgy. I'm sometimes envious.  🙂

On 9/25/2016 at 5:44 AM, Nado44 said:

We SUCCESSFULLY boarded our 7:50 am flight!

We had breakfast at the WJ once it opened at 5:30 am. Got into the disembark line at 6:00 am. About 50 other pax were already in front of us. Disembarkation began promptly at 6:15 am. Cleared passport control/customs by 6:30 am. Our taxi got us to FLL airport by 6:45 am. We checked in our two overstuffed carry-on bags and breezed past other pax courtesy of being pre-cleared via TSA Pre-check. We were in our seats by 7:20 am.

Would we do it again? Absolutely, but only as a last resort. The only thing we'd do differently is get into the disembark line earlier, i.e. 5:45 am. By 6:15 am, the line grew to be a very long one.

Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurances! I'll be posting a review of our cruise (Allure/President's) in the next few days.

Cheers!

I'm totally impressed.  How stressful.  Wow.  Good for you, though. 

Just last Sunday we were off Allure at 7:10am, in the Uber at 7:26am, and dropped off at FLL at 7:37am.  No lines anywhere in Terminal 18.  Walked off our bags and barely stopped moving until we hit the curb.  The key is to pack lightly!

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, BlueHerons said:

Glad you made it!

Please don't do this again.

As for odd things that can happen, a boat crashed this morning in the Government Cut (Miami Marlins Jose Fernadez was killed) and it shut down all shipping traffic for several hours to the Port of Miami.

There are just so many things that can happen.

Be thankful, don't recommend this to anyone else, and book a later flight next time.

Pushing your luck to end up ruining your next holiday.

Yes it can!  Never travel with me what can go wrong does when I'm on the trip.  I use to be a "same day" traveler when going on cruises.  This one time we were going on a cruise on the Oasis leaving Sunday.  Got a special early flight out that necessitated leaving the house at 4:30am to get down 95 and to the Philadelphia Airport super early.  No problem...Sunday at 4:30am?? Ah..not.  First thing we were stopped 2 miles from home at a railroad crossing.  A freight train took 20 minutes to pass.  OK we got this..ah...not.  Once on 95 there was maybe 3 cars on the road...great!!  Well after about 2 exits there were police cars across the highway blocking it totally and making cars get OFF 95.  I asked a cop why.  He said they are moving hazardous material and 95 is closed ...all the way to the airport (this is about 25 miles).  So in a pre-GPS world we had to try and figure how to get to the airport another way.  Dumb luck we did, we really had no idea.  Made it but talk about stress.  Anyway, same day no more.

Edited by Floater4life

10 hours ago, Crism said:

Just last Sunday we were off Allure at 7:10am, in the Uber at 7:26am, and dropped off at FLL at 7:37am.  No lines anywhere in Terminal 18.  Walked off our bags and barely stopped moving until we hit the curb.  The key is to pack lightly!

Doors close 10 minutes before departure. That gives you three minutes to get through TSA and get to your gate.

On 9/4/2016 at 9:57 AM, impatientlywaiting said:

On our last cruise, Alaska Airlines changed our flights without telling us. When we called and explained that there was NO WAY we could catch an 8:00 a.m. flight after getting off a cruise ship, they changed it without question and no change fees.

I wouldn't chance it! But that's just me! Good luck!

No- change your flight to something around 11 in order to remove stress.  We have been on many cruises.  Occasionally, you disembark later then you think as the port customs officers come late to clear the ship- then you have to disembark, even with self disembarkation a line,  and get to the airport- clear the security ( we have TSA pre-check- but still a line) then get to your gate and board.  You are supposed to arrive at least one hour before your scheduled flight-  

Nice to see this old thread get resurrected. LOL.

In hindsight, early self-disembark and Global Entry were both key. I remember being pushed in a certain direction/path by a cruise terminal employee when I showed my Global Entry pass. 

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

No- change your flight to something around 11 in order to remove stress.  We have been on many cruises.  Occasionally, you disembark later then you think as the port customs officers come late to clear the ship- then you have to disembark, even with self disembarkation a line,  and get to the airport- clear the security ( we have TSA pre-check- but still a line) then get to your gate and board.  You are supposed to arrive at least one hour before your scheduled flight-  

Fyi, they made their flight...2 years ago.

On 9/4/2016 at 6:45 AM, Nado44 said:

As experienced cruisers, we know not to book early am flights on disembarkation day. However, due to an involuntary airline schedule change and other circumstances, we have no choice but to book a 7:50A flight out of FLL. Rebooking our cruise, flying out of MIA, taking a later flight or overnighting are not options at this point. We will also be packing light and traveling with only carry-on bags.

What else should one do or consider on disembarkation day in order to make the beeline?

Night Before: Pack Standard Sized Carry-On Bags

5:30A - Mobile Check-In via phone

6:00A - Line up for Self-Disembark

6:30A - Disembark

6:40A - Global Entry/Passport Control

6:45A - Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL Airport

7:00A - Check in Bags up until 7:05A cut off point (Otherwise, self-carry bags onto aircraft)

7:05A - Proceed to Gate

7:20A - Boarding

7:40A - Doors close

7:50A - Take off

Timeline is really optimistic.

Last Sunday’s self disembarkation didn’t start until 7am.

Depending on gate, it takes a lot longer to go through TSA than the five minutes allowed.

Most airlines board by zone. They allow 1/2 hour to board. You better be in one of the the first groups.

Better have a real good Plan B.

7 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Timeline is really optimistic.

Last Sunday’s self disembarkation didn’t start until 7am.

Depending on gate, it takes a lot longer to go through TSA than the five minutes allowed.

Most airlines board by zone. They allow 1/2 hour to board. You better be in one of the the first groups.

Better have a real good Plan B.

Plan A worked.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Plan A worked.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Plan A worked.

Plan A worked with a 7am walk off? 6:30 maybe, 7am, I seriously doubt it. 40 minutes to get off the ship, go through customs, get to the airport, go through TSA, and make it to the gate, and wait for your zone to be called  to board.

Besides, you aren’t even the original poster so we don’t even know if his Plan A worked for them.

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Plan A worked with a 7am walk off? 6:30 maybe, 7am, I seriously doubt it. 40 minutes to get off the ship, go through customs, get to the airport, go through TSA, and make it to the gate, and wait for your zone to be called  to board.

Besides, you aren’t even the original poster so we don’t even know if his Plan A worked for them.

Youre right, I’m  not the OP however I read all the 2 year old posts and the OP has come back several times and said that it all worked out.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

One thing I forgot, as well as everyone else did is the Allure, as of Monday, sails out of Miami. I've never cruised in or out of Miami, but according to a Google search, the distance between the airport and cruise terminal is 8.9 miles and should take about 24 minutes just for the trip.