Customs question

Sunchaser46

I'm going on a back to back cruise on the Regal in March, 2017. Can anyone tell me how things will work when we are back in Ft. Lauderdale port at the halfway point? Will we have to clear customs before we leave the boat? Is it a long process? Thanks!

There is no Customs requirements. There is, however, some Immigration requirements. Princess may handle them on board, or more commonly require certain procedures to empty the ship. You will receive specific directions as to what you need to do. A little search of the board would find many discussions on the topic.

There is no Customs requirements. There is, however, some Immigration requirements. Princess may handle them on board, or more commonly require certain procedures to empty the ship. You will receive specific directions as to what you need to do. A little search of the board would find many discussions on the topic.

I agree. For our cruise, we were asked to assemble at the Princess Theatre.

There is no Customs requirements. There is, however, some Immigration requirements. Princess may handle them on board, or more commonly require certain procedures to empty the ship.
Correct. You do not have to pack your bags and make a Customs declaration on a B2B but you do have to go through Immigration as you are re-entering the US.

If everything goes okay it should take about 45 miutes to one hour. On my first b2b there were 30 or 40 passengers the good old days 20 mins. On my last b2b 450 passengers on the Royal Princess in January. Two people came late and everyone had to wait until they showed up. We were there for an hour and a half. :mad: :mad:

Tony

My experience mirrors Tony's. The procedure depends on how many cabins are doing B2B cruises. IF everyone shows up when and where instructed, it is a very brief process. If some jerks can't follow instructions, it will tie up everyone until the offenders are located and forced to comply. When Princess is making announcements in 3 languages, you know you have an issue!

Our last B2B was Aug, 2016. Since only a small number of guests were involved, it took maybe 20 minutes.

Since it appears the OP is planning on going ashore on turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale, it should be noted that they are free to do so as soon as the ship is cleared for disembarkation. Only catch being that they will not be able to return to the ship until boarding for new passengers starts. So if their plans fit that timetable no need to report to the designated lounge and be held up by any stragglers.

Edited by fishywood

If everything goes okay it should take about 45 miutes to one hour. On my first b2b there were 30 or 40 passengers the good old days 20 mins. On my last b2b 450 passengers on the Royal Princess in January. Two people came late and everyone had to wait until they showed up. We were there for an hour and a half. :mad: :mad:

Tony

That seems to be happening more and more lately for some reason. :mad:

It's a good day to leave the ship early on your own & do pretty much anything except waiting around for the stragglers to show up to go through immigration.

The day is pretty much wasted being on board so make the best of it & go to the beach or even shopping. ;)

I'm going on a back to back cruise on the Regal in March, 2017. Can anyone tell me how things will work when we are back in Ft. Lauderdale port at the halfway point? Will we have to clear customs before we leave the boat? Is it a long process? Thanks!

You basically have 2 choices

1) Leave with the disembarking passengers -- at any time you

wish, starting with the walk offs. You then can not reboard until

the new passengers start boarding -- usually around noon.

2) Stay on the ship, and follow princess's procedures for everyone

clearing immigration at the same time. This usually involves everyone

going off as a group, passing by immigration, and then going right back

on. Sometimes, immigration will come on to the ship and clear everyone.

Personally, I would always pick 1, as I hate waiting around.

Here is an example:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48524163&postcount=1

Ft. Lauderdale. If you wish to leave the ship you can do so at any time up until the final departure time. You can return anytime after general boarding has started, not before. You will have to take your cruise cards*, passports, intransit card supplied by the ship, and a completed U.S. Customs form showing zero dollars being imported. Once you leave the ship you will have to go through the immigration lines in the terminal like everyone else. When you return to the ship show your intransit card and you will be passed right through.

*If you are in the same cabin for both legs of the cruise you will have one cruise card for the entire voyage. If you are changing cabins you will have a new cruise card for the 2nd leg. If you have a 2nd card you need to bring this with you to be able to re-board.

There will be detailed instructions delivered to your cabin one or two days before disembarkation. Just follow them. If you decide to stay on the ship DO NOT be late to the meeting location. Attendance at the muster drill is optional on the 2nd leg.

Edited by sknight

You will have to take your cruise cards*, passports, intransit card supplied by the ship, and a completed U.S. Customs form showing zero dollars being imported.

We've never gotten any clear instructions as to what show on the customs card. I just put down what we've spent so far on the trip & never been questioned. I suppose they just assume I'm departing the ship like everyone else. During a B2B I unload unneeded items in my car so we don't have to carry everything on the last day- purchases, laundry, etc.

When we depart the ship the final time we declare a total dollar declaration for the whole cruise. Of course we never go over the total dollar allowance so it really wouldn't make any difference anyway- except for the liquor.

Turn around day we treat it as a port day in Florida. Leave the ship early and enjoy the port. We don't return till after embarkation begins and crowds thin out.

Sometimes we meet friends.

One time Princess did a tour to Sawgrass Mills Shopping center and had a very nice day there.It wasn't listed on tours. Only ones listed was ones that ended at airport. However, on board it was offered.

Edited by san diego sue

Turn around day we treat it as a port day in Florida. Leave the ship early and enjoy the port. We don't return till after embarkation begins and crowds thin out.

Sometimes we meet friends.

One time Princess did a tour to Sawgrass Mills Shopping center and had a very nice day there.It wasn't listed on tours. Only ones listed was ones that ended at airport. However, on board it was offered.

I might say the same thing if we were in San Diago during a B2B. ;)