past experience?

chloes nana

Hi fellow CC'ers. I will be sailing from Quebec to FLL next month and I have a question about the flights. I have never had to do connection flights before, so I am confused.:confused: We booked with Air Canada, and they have us booked on a United flight to Montreal, then our connecting flight into Quebec is through Air Canada.

Soooo does my luggage forward on or do I have to retrieve it in Montreal and recheck it? Our layover is not that long, and my husband HATES airports, so I am trying to make this as stress free for him, (and me) as possible. Thanks for any input.

Hi fellow CC'ers. I will be sailing from Quebec to FLL next month and I have a question about the flights. I have never had to do connection flights before, so I am confused.:confused: We booked with Air Canada, and they have us booked on a United flight to Montreal, then our connecting flight into Quebec is through Air Canada.

Soooo does my luggage forward on or do I have to retrieve it in Montreal and recheck it? Our layover is not that long, and my husband HATES airports, so I am trying to make this as stress free for him, (and me) as possible. Thanks for any input.

Your luggage should be checked all the way through. Just confirm with your baggage tags and at the airport.

Assuming it works the same as it does when we go to the U.S., you will go through Immigration/Customs. Go through with declaration, pick up bags, walk through and put them back on the belt. Montreal also has the capacity to show you a pic of your luggage and confirm it is yours so you will need to check the procedure.

For us returning to Canada, we do need to pick up the luggage (and yes we have a connecting flight) and put it back on the belt. Very easy and there are luggage carts there ;)

Your luggage should be checked all the way through. Just confirm with your baggage tags and at the airport.

Assuming it works the same as it does when we go to the U.S., you will go through Immigration/Customs. Go through with declaration, pick up bags, walk through and put them back on the belt. Montreal also has the capacity to show you a pic of your luggage and confirm it is yours so you will need to check the procedure.

For us returning to Canada, we do need to pick up the luggage (and yes we have a connecting flight) and put it back on the belt. Very easy and there are luggage carts there ;)

As always, right on point. Kazu knows her stuff!!

Sounds as if Montreal has its act together. I hope Toronto has improved since our transfer there in June 2013. Then it was a long walk from where our Quebec flight was gated to the luggage retrieval. Then the conveyor belt broke down. Then the US security line was humongous. Not a good day.

You will arrive in the International section of the YUL main building. Depending on the gate, you have a short or long walk and will be directed to the Customs area. After going through Customs, you will probably have your connecting flight leave from the outlying terminal with Gates 17-34 which has the turbo-prop commuter planes for the short flight on to Quebec City. There is an underground tunnel to that terminal.

Quebec City has a fixed taxi rate from the airport to the downtown area.

You will arrive in the International section of the YUL main building. Depending on the gate, you have a short or long walk and will be directed to the Customs area. After going through Customs, you will probably have your connecting flight leave from the outlying terminal with Gates 17-34 which has the turbo-prop commuter planes for the short flight on to Quebec City. There is an underground tunnel to that terminal.

Quebec City has a fixed taxi rate from the airport to the downtown area.

so my luggage goes on without me having to mess with it? Just my DH and I have to clear customs, correct?

so my luggage goes on without me having to mess with it? Just my DH and I have to clear customs, correct?

Not quite. After going through primary with the Canada Border Services Agency, you will need to pick up your bags at the luggage carousel. Assuming that you aren't referred to secondary for further examination, you will take your bags to a drop off point, then proceed through security before heading to your departure gate.

Edited by Fouremco

If you or your spouse are of a certain age and/or have any mobility issues, you might want to consider requesting assistance for your transfer in Montreal. I request assistance for my mother (sometimes the connection times are tight and there are distances to travel through airports) and both of us LOVE IT! It makes things so much easier; the airport personnel know where they are going and the processes. I love it even if they just take her and her carry-on and I walk (most of the time I get to ride along, too). One gets whisked through priority security and customs lines. It's awesome.

OP

When you say you have a short time between flights, just how short is the time between your connecting flights?

Even just connecting in the states, I make certain that we have at least 3 hours between flights -- just in case anything goes wrong.

oh my goodness! I stand corrected! I am flying in to Toronto, not Montreal. And there is a roughly a 2 hour layover. Any info now?..

Edited by chloes nana

Oh my goodness Kazu, I was wrong. I am flying into Toronto not Montreal and then on to Québec! Any info on Toronto Pearson?

oh my goodness! I stand corrected! I am flying in to Toronto, not Montreal. And there is a roughly a 2 hour layover. Any info now?..

Same procedure as in my earlier post. I fly through Pearson on my way back to Ottawa at least a couple of times a year and I'm quite familiar with the process. Barring a major disruption, two hours is plenty of time; most of our connecting flights are closer to one hour and I've never missed one yet.

After dropping your bags, you do have a bit of a walk, but I did it without difficult in April, only three months after open heart surgery.

Oh my goodness Kazu, I was wrong. I am flying into Toronto not Montreal and then on to Québec! Any info on Toronto Pearson?

Procedure is pretty much the same as per Fourmenco's post.

Now, when we go to the U.S. In Toronto, we do not need to pick up bags (unless you have something in them that bears inspectin ;))

But comnng back to Canada, we do need to go through customs, pick up the bags and then put them back on the belt. Two hours should be good. It can go realy fast and really slow, so, whenever we are going to the U.S. I want a minimum of two hours - suspect it works in the reverse>

I do know that Canadian Customs is friendlier than U.S. :)

Same procedure as in my earlier post. I fly through Pearson on my way back to Ottawa at least a couple of times a year and I'm quite familiar with the process. Barring a major disruption, two hours is plenty of time; most of our connecting flights are closer to one hour and I've never missed one yet.

After dropping your bags, you do have a bit of a walk, but I did it without difficult in April, only three months after open heart surgery.

thanks so much for your assistance, so even though it says I arrive and depart at terminal T1, the distance to customs and back is what you are referring to correct?

Procedure is pretty much the same as per Fourmenco's post.

Now, when we go to the U.S. In Toronto, we do not need to pick up bags (unless you have something in them that bears inspectin ;))

But comnng back to Canada, we do need to go through customs, pick up the bags and then put them back on the belt. Two hours should be good. It can go realy fast and really slow, so, whenever we are going to the U.S. I want a minimum of two hours - suspect it works in the reverse>

I do know that Canadian Customs is friendlier than U.S. :)

thanks Kazu for all your help. I like to be somewhat prepared with the airport particulars. I will search now for a terminal map of Toronto and I should be good to go.

thanks so much for your assistance, so even though it says I arrive and depart at terminal T1, the distance to customs and back is what you are referring to correct?

Correct, but AC in Terminal 1 probably will give you a shorter walk than some other terminals.

This link may help answer all of your questions:

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx##

While going through a new airport for the first time can be daunting, it's an easy connection and you'll have lots of time.

Correct, but AC in Terminal 1 probably will give you a shorter walk than some other terminals.

This link may help answer all of your questions:

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx##

While going through a new airport for the first time can be daunting, it's an easy connection and you'll have lots of time.

thanks so much for that link! What a fun informative site. I think I might survive this even with my DH in tow. :)