Celebrity won't honor their price on a Tuesday Xciting Deals special

melissy123

I have bookmarked the webpage for the Tuesday newsletter Celebrity Cruise Lines puts out for the "Xciting Deals." Saw a great deal on a Panama Canal Cruise. This sale was only good for 9/6 and 9/7. On 9/5 we called Celebrity, but were told to call back 9/6 at 7 a.m. Eastern Time. We did call back at 7 a.m. Eastern Time and then were told they couldn't find the sale, and we should call back at 10 a.m. Not trusting this information, we called back right away and spoke to another agent. Nope, they still couldn't find the sale. 5 hours and numerous phone calls later we were given different information: it was a mistake; it was a typo; no, it wasn't a mistake but there were limited cabins available and those were all gone; or they had withdrawn the sale price as of 9 a.m. and only if we had made the reservation before then. We spoke to Customer Service several times and documented who we spoke to, but the ultimate result is that Celebrity won't honor the price that was on their Xciting Deals.

They finally admitted the price was a mistake and they have no intention of honoring that price.

So stewed about this for the last few days, and thought why don't I turn to the experts.

Who do I go to at Celebrity to escalate this?

Is Celebrity pretty much not going to take responsibility for honoring an advertised price?

Are you referring to the October 7, sailing? If so, there is excellent pricing on their website NOW for this cruise for OV and balcony. Even with added perks, it is a DEAL, imo. We would book it in a heartbeat if my dh were not recovering from surgery. We are booked for next October for a lot more. If you are talking about anything less than $799, then yes, it could have been a pricing error, and no they do not have to honor it. What was the pricing, and category?

Marie

If you are a captain's club member you can always try calling them.

That said, based on the Terms and Conditions of the Exciting Deals (see below) my guess is you're out of luck.

The Exciting Deals rate program is valid for new bookings only, is not combinable with any other offer or promotion and does not count towards tour conductor credits. Exciting Deals ends

on the date as stated above at 11:59PM EST. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy, in U.S. or Canadian dollars as noted. This offer is based on stateroom availability

and may be withdrawn without notice. Governmental departure taxes and fees are additional. Certain restrictions may apply. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. ©2016

Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships’ registry: Malta, and Ecuador 16051061

Edited by RickT

I think I recall seeing that PC deal last week & thinking that it must be an error.

As RickT noted, the offer can be withdrawn at any time. Celebrity made a mistake & withdrew the offer. But it is typical Celebrity in that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, thus giving lame excuses.

Chalk it up to a life experience & move on.

I know you mean Infinity. Millie is on her way to Japan. However, you are absolutely right that the price of an inside eastbound is $799 and an outside $999 (including one perk.) Wow, I wish we could go.

The deal on your link is now gone and replaced with a new one available 13th - 19th, westbound Infinity $1299 o/v and $999 inside. More money, but you do get a few extra hours going east to west :D:D.

Edited by TeaBag

They finally admitted the price was a mistake and they have no intention of honoring that price.

So stewed about this for the last few days, and thought why don't I turn to the experts.

Who do I go to at Celebrity to escalate this?

Is Celebrity pretty much not going to take responsibility for honoring an advertised price?

I called Celebrity about their error and posted this image on FB advising them that someone forgot to add a 1 preceding the 299 price.

Since I booked just a few days before I could see there was an error otherwise I would have been "miffed"

Excitin%20Deal_zpsexylrtoj.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Summit. Was using the computer lounge to search for cruise deals. Saw $299 for an inside come up for the October 7 E/B canal cruise. When I clicked on it the next screen a was for some 4 night cruise somewhere else. Also had Verandas shown as available, but when you clicked on it to book, it gave you an inside. I thought it was an issue with using the 'free links' on the lounge computers but I've had similar issues since I've been home. The website is whacked.

You can still get an inside for $799pp and an OV for $999pp on the 90 day ticker. ;) :D :cool:

The 15 night December 9th trip to Santiago is only $689pp for an inside and $749pp for an OV.

Shareholder benefit of $250 OBC SHOULD still apply as well. :)

Not bad for 16 or 15 nights on Celebrity...

Edited by teecee60

Regarding the OP's question we would submit that pricing errors (with online marketing) is pretty common with most cruise lines (and many other sellers). Bottom line is that merchants make pricing errors (in advertising) all the time and they are generally not legally bound to honor an honest error. As to moral obligations, that is totally up to the merchant (this case the cruise line) and they are free to do as they please.

Hank