Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

Thanks for your fast response, Bob, But I still don't get it. How foreign is foreign? Chief?

Closed end cruises based out of the US have to visit any foreign (non US) port to be legal.

Cruises from one US port to a different US port also have to visit a foreign (non US) port and that foreign port has to be farther away from the US, such as ABC or South America.

Closed end cruises based out of the US have to visit any foreign (non US) port to be legal.

Cruises from one US port to a different US port also have to visit a foreign (non US) port and that foreign port has to be farther away from the US, such as ABC or South America.

Thanks, but weird!:eek:

Thanks for your fast response, Bob, But I still don't get it. How foreign is foreign? Chief?

There are lots of threads that have discussed this in detail. Try searching PVSA, Passenger Vessel Service Act, or Jones Act, which is how many refer to it incorrectly. Chengkp75 is the expert and has explained it better than anyone.

There are lots of threads that have discussed this in detail. Try searching PVSA, Passenger Vessel Service Act, or Jones Act, which is how many refer to it incorrectly. Chengkp75 is the expert and has explained it better than anyone.

Yes. I'm aware of "the Jones Act" We have done many repo's....guess that's why we've been to Aruba countless times.

But is there a measuring distance? I'll have to look up Chief's answer.

Yes. I'm aware of "the Jones Act" We have done many repo's....guess that's why we've been to Aruba countless times.

I believe the distant ports are listed by name,country, etc., not distance.

I could be wrong but I believe that if RCI ships were US flagged/registered, it wouldn't be an issue. Wasn't it initially set up to protect US shipping who transport passengers? I think that is what I remember my husband telling me. He worked on ships in an Oil support industry and had similar problems moving ships around different ports and countries.

I could be wrong but I believe that if RCI ships were US flagged/registered, it wouldn't be an issue. ... .

You are correct, the law applies to non-US flagged ships. However, there is a lot more to having a US flagged ship than running up a different flag. I'll leave the details to the Chief.

You are correct, the law applies to non-US flagged ships. However, there is a lot more to having a US flagged ship than running up a different flag. I'll leave the details to the Chief.

One detail that I remember from previous discussions is that in order to be American flagged the hull of the ship has to be built in the US. This instantly disqualifies all of Royal's current fleet.

The Jones Act that you are aware of is the misnomer, it deals with cargo only.

When dealing with passengers it is the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA)

It is the same rules except one is cargo and the other passengers.

The term "distant" is defined in law and lists what ports/countries qualify.

One detail that I remember from previous discussions is that in order to be American flagged the hull of the ship has to be built in the US. This instantly disqualifies all of Royal's current fleet.

Congress passed and exception for NCL a few years back for 3 ships. One was started in the US and completed in Germany. One was built in Germany and one was an existing ship that was reflagged. The real killer is the requirement to have a mostly USA crew and USA employment laws. I believe the number is about 75%. NCL America operated all 3 in Hawaii for a while. They had a lot of staffing issues and gave up on 2 of them. (reflagged). There is still one in Hawaii.

Looks like it's anything outside a described area:

However, in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Is there any comparable to this law in Europe that I should be aware of, as my trips are getting more "extreme" (another way of saying "expensive" as I keep tacking on multiple parts to them)

Not exactly the same thing but they need to try to stop in at least one non-EU country while in Europe to avoid a 20% tax on all products and services on board. Very occasionally they have a cruise which doesn't include an appropriate port which means that everything sold on board has to have this level of tax (in addition to tips etc). Actually, now that I mention it, I realise I've booked a cruise which will have the 20% tax on everything -- bummer! Oh well.

Edit: Very happy to be fact-checked here as my figures may be off but I definitely remember hearing about others suffering from this if their cruise didn't stop in, for instance, Gibraltar etc.

Not exactly the same thing but they need to try to stop in at least one non-EU country while in Europe to avoid a 20% tax on all products and services on board. Very occasionally they have a cruise which doesn't include an appropriate port which means that everything sold on board has to have this level of tax (in addition to tips etc). Actually, now that I mention it, I realise I've booked a cruise which will have the 20% tax on everything -- bummer! Oh well.

Edit: Very happy to be fact-checked here as my figures may be off but I definitely remember hearing about others suffering from this if their cruise didn't stop in, for instance, Gibraltar etc.

Thanks-- I know about VAT taxes (which are unfortunate but not a deal breaker); just want to make sure I won't be standing at a port and told I cannot board!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest that you spring for the longer European itinerary. One week cannot do justice to the places you want to see, and you would just have to go back at some point, anyway. 12 nights would be more economical in the long run. JMO :)

I'm definitely leaning towards the 12 night. I mean, what's another $2,000 at this point...lol

Besides, The Radiance class ships are my favorite so far

And a 12 nightner would save me from the VAT tax

Edited by Jax129

Thanks, but weird!:eek:

Even weirder is that Royal takes so long to contact passengers trying to do these b2b's. This is not a new law -- there should be a flag in the computer that prevents these combinations from being booked in the first place.

Bob has done an excellent job explaining PVSA, IMO. I understood what he was saying, and I tend to be easily confused. :D :D

I'm definitely leaning towards the 12 night. I mean, what's another $2,000 at this point...lol

Besides, The Radiance class ships are my favorite so far

And a 12 nightner would save me from the VAT tax

Factor in what it would cost to take that longer cruise in the future (air, hotels, rising costs), and all of a sudden it looks like a bargain! :) And the VAT adds up. Good luck! :)

We just debarked from a 9 day Greece/Italy cruise and because they removed Turkey from out itinerary, all onboard purchases were subject to VAT. All ports we visited were EU countries. Sorry I don't know the exact percentage since I didn't buy anything onboard.. They were also not allowed to sell cigarettes nor liquor in the duty free shop onboard so all that was removed from the onboard shop.

When we did Serenade back in 2015, we tried to do the b2b and this is the letter we got from Air2Sea on why we could not do it.......

Dear Ms lafever,

Thank you for your letter on 02/23/14

Unfortunately the agents advised you correctly. We cannot allow you to embark in Cape Liberty on the first cruise and disembark in Fort lauderdale on the second one as the ship does not reach any port that would be at least 600 Nautical miles away from the closest US shore in between the two.

Please do nto hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

When we did Serenade back in 2015, we tried to do the b2b and this is the letter we got from Air2Sea on why we could not do it.......

Dear Ms lafever,

Thank you for your letter on 02/23/14

Unfortunately the agents advised you correctly. We cannot allow you to embark in Cape Liberty on the first cruise and disembark in Fort lauderdale on the second one as the ship does not reach any port that would be at least 600 Nautical miles away from the closest US shore in between the two.

Please do nto hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks Patti, the word distant was too vague for my brain.

Now we have a measurement .

Anyone know what the chances are of RCL releasing Caribbean schedules for May 2019 by July 1st of this year? I think they have through April 2019 right now.

May 2019 will likely come out in March/April 2018.