Is the food better on Celebrity than on Royal Caribbean?

Tishybabe

We only cruised one last year on the Med with RC and although we caught the cruise bug the food was standard fare and really disappointing. It wasn't bad but it wasn't v good either.

We are not foodies at such but like our food and different tastes ie we love sushi and I would have loved to find some at the lunch buffet for example ...

We only ate in the main dining room and didn't try any of the fee paying eateries.

Please advise. Looking at booking a Baltic cruise on the Eclipse.

Thanks

subjective item you have mentioned, young Tishybabe. We find the Celebrity MDR food to be pretty good. A nice variety from which to choose. But... Princess has passed Celebrity up on MDR food, in our opinion. We have found RCL food to be not up to Celebrity standard.

Now, the Specialty restaurants are much better on Celebrity than of mass market lines. In Our Opinion.

Not a foodie, but the only Royal cruise I did, in 2012 on Oasis was awful. And don't get me started on the coffee. Now I will say that quality may have improved since then; don't know. Celebrity has been consistently better on the three cruises I have done. Not super great, but there are some very tasty dishes served. And we really enjoyed the buffet. This past April with the switch over to a new coffee brand, I was one happy camper. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In our experience Celeb better in MDR and also at specialty venues for the most part.

.Royal on Oasis had a standout Diamond gathering each night with a great buffet

Celeb coverting Bistro on 5 to Sushi on 5 (a la carte) and no longer has sushi at the buffet.

Some cruisers LIKE RC food. Some like Carnival. Obviously it is subjective.

And on top of that, we find some ships on the same line are better than another. So...you have to figure it out.

We find Princess has better courses than X. But since there are many choices on both, we haven't been turned off by those two lines.

We are considering Liberty of the Seas for our second cruise. In a grand suite. I know there is no butler service on Freedom class ships, but there is a suite lounge with breakfast and lunch. Anyone care to weigh in on the difference between a suite class on Celebrity and a Suite on a Freedom Class RCI ship?

Currently aboard Summit, but have sailed both lines quite a bit. Have always found X a bit more sophisticated and Royal more family oriented. Tonight in mdr for instance had escargot off the every day menu followed by mushroom risotto and beef wellington. DW had duck l'orange. Yesterday was coq au vin and lobster pappardalle. Not sure you'll find these types of dishes on Royal.

Well food is very subjective, but yes overall the food on Celebrity is slightly better than the food on Royal Caribbean, although we've always loved both.

Celebrity has the most amazing FRESH burgers and hot dogs at the Mast Grill on the pool deck which is complimentary. The buffet on Celebrity is also amazing with a dedicated Chinese and Indian counter for every meal (I've seen more Brits at the Indian food counter than Indians)

I've done the Baltic on Celebrity and it was one of my best cruises till date (link of detailed picture review in my signature below). I loved the Allure of the Seas since we love big ships and the sheer number of places that you could get food was fantastic.

In our experience Celeb better in MDR and also at specialty venues for the most part.

.Royal on Oasis had a standout Diamond gathering each night with a great buffet

Celeb coverting Bistro on 5 to Sushi on 5 (a la carte) and no longer has sushi at the buffet.

Still sushi in the buffet . And very nice too .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Desserts on Celebrity are far and away better than the ones on Royal.

Soups and salads are about the same.

Entrees are more complex and generally better prepared on Celebrity over Royal.

Buffet is fresher with more variety on Celebrity - and that goes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We equally cruise X, RCL and NCL. We love them all, and as long as I'm at sea, I'm a happy girl. But every time we come back to X, we look at each other, smile, and realize which cruiseline has the best food (X). And omg if you splurge with the specialty restaurants, they are often as good or better than 4 star dining here in Philly or NY.

We've sailed on both RCL and Celebrity and I think you will find the food about the same on both lines. Not good, not bad, just ok.

I would agree with this assessment. However, I do think on both lines that the food is on occasion better than just OK. Usually, we find the food good and now and then very good. As another poster noted...food is VERY subjective. :)

Just came back from Celebrity Solstice 2 days ago. No sushi in buffet. Was told they discontinued it since Sushi on 5 started operating.

That must be a very recent change. We were on the Solstice Aug 19th sailing and sushi was served every evening in Oceanview Café...even with Sushi on 5 open.