Passenger death on Pacific Jewel

This lady DID NOT DIE because of Gastro. Never proven and never will be proven. One thing is certain though, she was 79 and she died on a wonderful cruise. What better way to go! We all will go one day and if I had to choose,

a cruise would be my choice, so lets not start-up this rumor mill, P&O is

not responsible for this ladies demise! Bon Voyage!

Please don't shout.:)

I was simply adding the link to the report.

Edited by Aussieflyer

There are numerous sites if you google them that show the number of reported deaths on cruise lines. There may not be a death on every cruise but there seems to be quite a few.

These sites show accidental or suspicious deaths including suicides. They do not include deaths from natural causes which would be the vast majority.

Edited by Aus Traveller

These sites show accidental or suspicious deaths including suicides. They do not include deaths from natural causes which would be the vast majority.

Some do show natural deaths as well, of course it is the generally only the ones that get reported that make the list.

This is one of the ones I saw, it even has the latest one that started this thread.

Since the list dates back to 1959! it would seem to support the argument that numbers of passengers do not die every long cruise. At least one third of the list includes unnatural causes, suicides, sinking etc. I also feel that the deaths listed for the Costa Concordia sinking was substantially higher than any number I have read on that incident

Since the list dates back to 1959! it would seem to support the argument that numbers of passengers do not die every long cruise. At least one third of the list includes unnatural causes, suicides, sinking etc. I also feel that the deaths listed for the Costa Concordia sinking was substantially higher than any number I have read on that incident

However, not all the deaths (especially the natural ones) would make the news and therefore the website.

That is an interesting list, but it is not comprehensive. I note that the earliest entry for an Australian-based ship is 2002. The list covers occasional entries as far back as 1909 with around 10 during the 1900s and even some deaths ashore of cruise industry personnel. In the list there is the complete death toll for the Costa Concordia. If we take all these out that doesn't leave quite so many for worldwide cruiseship deaths.

Scanning down the list I have noted seven entries for Australian cruise ships. Surely no-one is suggesting that there have only been seven deaths on Australian-based cruise ships? I cannot really say "since ....." because the list goes back to 1909 and the first Australian entry is 2002. Even Diane Brimble's unfortunate death that we would all be aware of, is NOT on the list.

None of the deaths I know of personally are on the list. These are a person from next dinner table; a person in nearby cabin; the several times we have seen a hearse on the dock; when Captain Froud of the Sun Princess announced that a crew member who was taken ashore during the cruise had died.

Edited by Aus Traveller

That is an interesting list, but it is not comprehensive. Scanning down the list I have noted seven entries that cover Australian cruise ships. None of them are ones I know of personally (person from next dinner table; person in nearby cabin; the several times we have seen a hearse on the dock; when Captain Froud of the Sun Princess announced that a crew member who was taken ashore during the cruise had died).

But one poster claims that those who get to shore didn't die on the cruise.

But one poster claims that those who get to shore didn't die on the cruise.

If people die after they get home, then I agreed they didn't die on the cruise. If someone is evacuated from the ship and dies before getting to hospital (as happened on a cruise my daughter was on), I think they could be counted as dying on the cruise. Incidentally, that gentleman's death was not included in the list.

Edited by Aus Traveller

If people die after they get home, then I agreed they didn't die on the cruise. If someone is evacuated from the ship and dies before getting to hospital (as happened on a cruise my daughter was on), I think they could be counted as dying on the cruise. Incidentally, that gentleman's death was not included in the list.

I had a look at the link to see if a death on our Dawn Princess, September 2014 cruise was listed. It is not listed. I cannot accept that the list is accurate.

So I suppose it falls back to ones own interpretation of very common. In this case I feel that if a certain person's interpretation of the phrase was used in an advertisement there would be grounds for a Dept of Fair Trading case.:p

My interpretation of common is that it happens to the majority of people.

With this reasoning 'Death' is very, very common as it happens to everyone., However 'Death on a cruise ship' is not common at all as it happens to such a small minority of people.

That said, deaths do occur on cruise ships and it does happen regularly.

It is far more dangerous in Hospitals where so many more deaths occur.

I had a look at the link to see if a death on our Dawn Princess, September 2014 cruise was listed. It is not listed. I cannot accept that the list is accurate.

The list only seems to be having those that have made the media.

as for Ms Brimble, she did make the list :(

•P&O Cruises - Pacific Sky, Dianne Brimble, Drug Overdose, September 23, 2002

Edited by MicCanberra

My interpretation of common is that it happens to the majority of people.

With this reasoning 'Death' is very, very common as it happens to everyone., However 'Death on a cruise ship' is not common at all as it happens to such a small minority of people.

That said, deaths do occur on cruise ships and it does happen regularly.

It is far more dangerous in Hospitals where so many more deaths occur.

My interpretation of "deaths are common on cruise ships" means that they happen many times on cruiseships, not that they happen to the same person many times. ;) I could question the word "regularly", :D because deaths do not occur at regular intervals and are more likely on cruises with an older demographic (usually longer cruises). We go on longer cruises (from 35 nights to the World Cruise) so are likely to be on a cruise where this occurs.

My interpretation of "deaths are common on cruise ships" means that they happen many times on cruiseships, not that they happen to the same person many times. ;) I could question the word "regularly", :D because deaths do not occur at regular intervals and are more likely on cruises with an older demographic (usually longer cruises). We go on longer cruises (from 35 nights to the World Cruise) so are likely to be on a cruise where this occurs.

The original was "very common".

I do not believe it is very common at all. Until I see some sort of official documentation then it is quite clear that it is a rare event. When was the last time we heard in the news that someone died on a cruise ship due to natural causes. The only time I can recall is just now so the fact that it made the news proves that it will likely make the news when people die and given that there is a lack of news about many people dying on ships then it just proves it is rare event.

Trust me the terminally ill or people on deaths door do not travel on cruise ships. I have elderly relatives who are not there yet but mobility and other health complications makes it almost impossible to travel.

I do not believe it is very common at all. Until I see some sort of official documentation then it is quite clear that it is a rare event. When was the last time we heard in the news that someone died on a cruise ship due to natural causes. The only time I can recall is just now so the fact that it made the news proves that it will likely make the news when people die and given that there is a lack of news about many people dying on ships then it just proves it is rare event.

Trust me the terminally ill or people on deaths door do not travel on cruise ships. I have elderly relatives who are not there yet but mobility and other health complications makes it almost impossible to travel.

This is the first time I can recall that there has been a report of someone dying of natural causes on a cruise ship, so that does not mean it has never happened before. It is not usually reported in the media and only happened this time because the family brought it to the attention of the media. If it wasn't for the good-old 'P&O bashing' and noro tags that were attached to it, it would not have been reported this time. It is in the best interests of all cruiselines not to publicise deaths on board.

I believe the list where the link was provided was a list of deaths that had been reported in the media. I have seen several people on cruise ships who were very elderly and very unwell.