Travel Scooter on Celebrity

jasm8449

I've researched both the Travelscoot and Smartscoot, and am leaning towards the Smartscoot for it's ease of getting on and off given my hip issues, and 3 speeds. Does anyone have experience with a Smartscoot on Celebrity S class ship who can speak to the experience?

Edited by jasm8449

I don't know of these particular brands but I have seen an assortment of different ones onboard. As some are quite luxurious a request is that you get one that is as small as possible to meet your needs as they can be a bloody nuisance in lifts, getting on and off the ship and in dining rooms at busy times. Some scooter riders are very inconsiderate but expect consideration from their fellow passengers

Thank you beanb41 and chezmarylou for your responses. I am aware of these issues. I also remember how rude and inconsiderate some able-bodied passengers were when my DH broke his foot on an excursion and spent the rest of the cruise in a wheelchair. ie, the game of 'Race to get on the elevator'. So there's enough blame to go around. But I don't want this post to turn into yet another one on that topic.

I've been cruising for 20 years on Celebrity, but this will be my first time with a scooter, and this particular lightweight, folding model. That is why I am asking for advice from anyone who has personal experience with a Smartscoot in particular.

I have rented scooters many times while on most of the Celebrity ships. You are right you would be surprised how rude some able bodied people are. I have a bad knee and rent from

Special Needs Group

302 NW 1st Street

Dania Beach Florida

954 5850575

They deliver it to your cabin and pick it up from your cabin you can even take it off the ship but bring your charging cables with you!!!!

Good luck!!!

We travelled with friends, one of whom had a very significant disability. He used a lightweight foldable scooter (a Lexis brand) for our trip. I looked at the Smartscoot photos. It seems lighter than the Lexis, so perhaps our experience will be useful.

Getting on and off the ship was easy for embarkation and disembarkation. However, the ports of call were a different story. In ports with steep gangways, we needed assistance getting off and getting back on. In some ports crew members assisted with pushing the scooter up the ramp (not enough power to make it all the way up). Sometimes, going down was the problem. He sometimes needed to use a wheelchair to get off the ship and we dissassembled the scooter, carried it down and put it back together there.

I wish you a very happy cruise. Be safe!

Cynthia

My wife has a TravelScoot and just loves it. It goes through the cabin doors and we found a great place to store it when she doesn't use it. You can see in the below pic that it fits perfectly under the counter. Since the TravelScoot only weighs 35 pounds and can folded up, it can go regular car trunks if you rent a car or need a taxi.

IMG_2990.jpg

Before my both hips were replace 9 years ago ,I owned a collapsible scooter . If we could not get a handicap cabin ,the room attendant would take the scooter at night & charge it ready for the next morning ;). The scooter I bought from a company in NJ has gone out of business

These are great and my husband has been renting for the last 2 cruises thru special needs BUT REMEMBER, there is the issue of the weight of the individual. If you contact the companies Celebrity recommends, they will ask you questions as to weight and cabin info. We have always had great success. My husband needs a larger scooter but we always book a cabin with the bed near the sliding doors. This makes storing it so much easier. Plenty of room to get around it. On Summit the cabin stewardess did take it down to charge at night and it was right there when we opened the door in the a.m. But on the S class ships they want it in the cabins. I'm sure it changes from ship to ship like everything else but it definitely works wonders for those with walking issues.

Good luck.

I don't know of these particular brands but I have seen an assortment of different ones onboard. As some are quite luxurious a request is that you get one that is as small as possible to meet your needs as they can be a bloody nuisance in lifts, getting on and off the ship and in dining rooms at busy times. Some scooter riders are very inconsiderate but expect consideration from their fellow passengers

My DH has used his scooter aboard the Solstice. He must use it as he had most of his foot removed. He can walk sort distances but nut far. Twice we have sailed on the Solstice. I will tell you that my DH IS a gentleman, he is polite and never pushy. I was amazed at how rude fellow pax were! We would have to wait and wait for an elevator as NO one wanted to make room for him on "their" elevator. Most of the time we could see that if pax would take a few steps back there would be plenty of room. Finally, we learned that I would have to get on the elevator, push the "hold open door" button and insist that people move back so that my husband could get on! AFTER 5-6 elevators passed us by! SO IT is no wonder they think I am rude - "they" forced me to be rude!

My DH has used his scooter aboard the Solstice. He must use it as he had most of his foot removed. He can walk sort distances but nut far. Twice we have sailed on the Solstice. I will tell you that my DH IS a gentleman, he is polite and never pushy. I was amazed at how rude fellow pax were! We would have to wait and wait for an elevator as NO one wanted to make room for him on "their" elevator. Most of the time we could see that if pax would take a few steps back there would be plenty of room. Finally, we learned that I would have to get on the elevator, push the "hold open door" button and insist that people move back so that my husband could get on! AFTER 5-6 elevators passed us by! SO IT is no wonder they think I am rude - "they" forced me to be rude!

Lifts seemed to be the easiest and less controversial of scooter encounters. There is plenty of room to accommodate both scooter and able bodied as long as each treats the other with a little courtesy. Those that are grumpy are going to be grumpy all cruise and unfortunately a grumpy scooter driver is going to be tainted even more because they stand out more and have limited options moving around the ship. We had a circumstance with crew trying to assist a lady off a steep gangway going ashore and were abused up hill and down dale for their efforts by the lady concerned. This was despite warning about going ashore in this particular port regarding scooters and wheelchairs.

I have even seen some people try to take their scooters ashore in tenders. Sometimes it just pays to acknowledge that not everything is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

We agree, he knows that there are some things that he just cannot do. In one port we took the tender ashore, they always help him aboard, and then we just take our time walking the pier. Then we can take a bus tour or a cab tour and later we can usually find a place to sit, get a snack and people watch. We manage if we are careful and take our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife has a TravelScoot and just loves it. It goes through the cabin doors and we found a great place to store it when she doesn't use it. You can see in the below pic that it fits perfectly under the counter. Since the TravelScoot only weighs 35 pounds and can folded up, it can go regular car trunks if you rent a car or need a taxi.

IMG_2990.jpg

Which ship were you on that the TravelScoot went thru the door

• 3 months later...

Perhaps you should try to put yourself in their place! My DH has 1/2 of his foot, this resulted from an injury he received after working 30+ years as an RN. He spent his entire career working with Psychiatric patients, both adolescents and adults, both severely to mildly ill. After surgery over 6 years ago he still has a portion of the wound that will not heal, so we contend with an active wound that bleeds at times not to mention the pain, the neuropathy and huge inconvenience. So we are terribly sorry if we disturb you by getting on the elevator with his mobility scooter but he has been unable to master the steps with his scooter. Perhaps the next time someone with a scooter needs to get on an elevator all of you could move back, just a little, to let them on, with you?

I, being a practical joker when appropriate, carry a magnetic sign that

says Handicap Priority and when necessary I place it next to the directional

switch. It works. I am not currently handicapped but appreciate respecting.

don

I have taken 7 cruises with my travelscoot. It fits through the regular cabin doors for inside, balcony and suites on the Infinity, Solstice, Silhouette Equinox and Eclipse, and RCCL Freedom, Allure. The vexing problem is that on the Silhouette,( twice in an Aqua Class Stateroom)the Solstice and the Equinox, our CABIN STEWARD would repeatedly place the scooter outside the cabin ( when I was using my walker as an alternative) and thn I would return to find it outside the cabin door.

Strange!

I have taken 7 cruises with my travelscoot. It fits through the regular cabin doors for inside, balcony and suites on the Infinity, Solstice, Silhouette Equinox and Eclipse, and RCCL Freedom, Allure. The vexing problem is that on the Silhouette,( twice in an Aqua Class Stateroom)the Solstice and the Equinox, our CABIN STEWARD would repeatedly place the scooter outside the cabin ( when I was using my walker as an alternative) and thn I would return to find it outside the cabin door.

Strange!

I am surprised they would move it, except to clean under it; but, they should have put it back where you had it. I put my wife's TravelScoot under the desk, as shown in the photo in post 16. there was no reason for the attendant to move it.

I, being a practical joker when appropriate, carry a magnetic sign that

says Handicap Priority and when necessary I place it next to the directional

switch. It works. I am not currently handicapped but appreciate respecting.

don

Perhaps you should try to put yourself in their place! My DH has 1/2 of his foot, this resulted from an injury he received after working 30+ years as an RN. He spent his entire career working with Psychiatric patients, both adolescents and adults, both severely to mildly ill. After surgery over 6 years ago he still has a portion of the wound that will not heal, so we contend with an active wound that bleeds at times not to mention the pain, the neuropathy and huge inconvenience. So we are terribly sorry if we disturb you by getting on the elevator with his mobility scooter but he has been unable to master the steps with his scooter. Perhaps the next time someone with a scooter needs to get on an elevator all of you could move back, just a little, to let them on, with you?

Try reading post #14 before casting dispersions