When to Book Shore Excursion?

JudyA01

Hi there,

It's our first time to cruise.

We are booked on Voyager of the Seas on December 20 Sydney to South Pacific.

Is it better to book the Shore Excursions on board or prior to boarding? I don't know if there's any difference on price when booking on board.

If we book it now, would we be able to cancel the excursion if the weather is bad?

Thanks in advance.

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Judy, find the thread for your cruise and read about all the private excursions that are planned. My guess is that most of those private excursions are totally booked... we book a year in advance.... minimum 6 months in advance. The good private tours go quickly.

We don't do ship excursions, but even those sell out early.

If the weather is bad the shorex will cancel so you don't need to. HOWEVER usually if you want to cancel you generally have to cancel 24 hours prior or you won't get a refund. Make sure you read the terms and conditions for your cruiseline.

If there is something you absolutely want to do book prior, as it might sell out before you even board.

You can always check on board for cancellations.

If you book private excursions, read carefully what will happen if the ship doesn't make the port, or arrive on time. Some insurances will cover and some will not. This is one advantage of ship's excursions, you WILL receive a full refund if the ship doesn't dock or arrives late and it is cancelled.

As well, any excursions you book prior to boarding will be charged to your credit card immediately. It may seem like a drag, but it's really the only way to ensure people don't book it and then not show up.

If you wait to book excursions until you board, your on board account will then be charged and added to the bill which you settle at the end of the cruise.

I see you just found and posted on your Roll Call today, so that is definitely the place to discuss shore excursions, tour sharing, and ride sharing. We are not permitted to discuss it anywhere else on these forums.

Have fun!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.... You all helped me decide and have now booked the ship excursions.

We booked exclusively ship's excursions on our Med cruise a few years ago. It was what felt most comfortable for us, and everything worked out perfectly.

Your tickets should be in your cabin when you arrive; if not, let your cabin steward know.

If the weather is bad enough for the tour company to cancel....they will refund your money. There is no price difference in booking ahead or on the ship. Get a guidebook before you start booking ANYTHING...you might find that what interests you is easy to do on your own! Excursions are costly...and usually, unneeded.

If the weather is bad enough for the tour company to cancel....they will refund your money. There is no price difference in booking ahead or on the ship. Get a guidebook before you start booking ANYTHING...you might find that what interests you is easy to do on your own! Excursions are costly...and usually, unneeded.

This is totally not true. Many private tours state upfront that money is not refunded if tour is canceled by the passenger due to not arriving in port...I.e. Bad weather. Read the fine print.

Also, sites like TripAdvisor have excellent third party reviews of private tours and are much more up to date than published guide books.

Edited by Pudgesmom

This is totally not true. Many private tours state upfront that money is not refunded if tour is canceled by the passenger due to not arriving in port...I.e. Bad weather. Read the fine print.

Also, sites like TripAdvisor have excellent third party reviews of private tours and are much more up to date than published guide books.

I would never book a private tour where I had to pay upfront. I've only used companies that are paid when I arrive at the dock.

I would never book a private tour where I had to pay upfront. I've only used companies that are paid when I arrive at the dock.

We have to pay a deposit but it said that if we do not make port then we will be refunded. I wouldn't pay up front for an excursion if I wasn't able to get a refund for something beyond my control.

I have a couple of private excursions booked. I payed only a deposit and have it in writing it is refundable if the ship doesn't make it into port or is cancelled because the ship arrives late.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Since we are first time cruisers, we decided it's best for us to book the ship's excursions.

Just for peace of mind that the ship will wait for us if the excursion is running late back to the ship.

Regards,

Judy

Thanks Babysis.

Since it's our first time to cruise, I'm thinking of booking the ship excursions, just in case ...

Judy

Just in case of "what"? In answer to your question, book them as soon as you decide what excursions you want to go on. The good ones may be sold out before you board.

DON