Home made wine

terkatz56

I have asked Holland via chat if bringing home made wine on board is allowable. They said generally, no, but to contact Ship services. Has anyone had any experience with this? It would be properly sealed (corked and shrink wrapped)

I have a friend that has made some and I would like to take it as my corkage free bottle.

I have asked Holland via chat if bringing home made wine on board is allowable. They said generally, no, but to contact Ship services. Has anyone had any experience with this? It would be properly sealed (corked and shrink wrapped)

I have a friend that has made some and I would like to take it as my corkage free bottle.

I haven't tried it and I wouldn't. Too many nice wines to bring on ;)

The problem as I see it is they can't i.d. it as real wine. It will be in a bottle with a label,, but it won't have the code that purchased wines have. How does security know it is wine or that something else hasn't been put in and a wine label stuck on? JMO.

My daughter and son-in-law make their own wine and it is quite good. They bottle and cork it in regular wine bottles and even have their own labels. In this case, I think it would be fine, as the securty people would never know the difference (IMO).

Using non-standard wine containers might raise a red flag however, plus if you do this be sure the amount of wine (per bottle) falls under HAL's limits.

Do any of you bring on a plane your 2 bottles of wine in your checked luggage? We will be flying out of DC to Rome, HAL transportation to the ship, not sure if we will have time to purchase at the airport in Rome. :eek:

I would bring in my checked, VERY WELL wrapped, but I believe it is just one bottle that is corkage free. I will get a hold of ship services on Monday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do any of you bring on a plane your 2 bottles of wine in your checked luggage? We will be flying out of DC to Rome, HAL transportation to the ship, not sure if we will have time to purchase at the airport in Rome. :eek:

Hi there

Why don't you just buy your wine at the DC airport duty free store. You would then be allowed to carry it on to the plane and not risk breakage in your luggage.

hope this helps

Sea Belle

Agree with Nic6318.

A couple of years ago we were flying to Copenhagen for planned arrival a day prior to sailing with plans to purchase wine in Copenhagen. Our flight from Toronto was delayed 24 hrs and we arrived just in time for sailing. I ended up purchasing wine in the duty free shop in the Toronto airport. Worked great and no risk of breakage.

I have brought back many bottles of wine from Europe in my checked luggage with no problem, but I have never brought any wine to Europe. As a back up, there should be plenty of time to pick up a couple bottles of very good Italian wine from the many stores in Civitavecchia.

We don't bring wine as our choices are limited here and we can find better choices in most pre-cruise ports, but I have certainly packed duty free liquor bottles in my luggage. I have special containers for them that protects the clothing and so far, they have not failed me and the bottles are intact.

If you do decide to bring the wine in your checked in luggage, don't forget to remove it and carry it on when you board your ship.

We've flown with wine plenty of times. Take a look at Wineskins or Vinolock bags. They're bottle shaped, heavy duty wine bags. There is also a company that makes a double wrapped, padded, absorbent bag. It's kind of special purpose, designed for things that might leak, like and older Port.

We were on the Eurodam and our friends are home winemakers. He checked both in his suitcase and took them out at the port. When they asked what was with the funky label, he told them he is a home wine maker. They let him in. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SLOTheta