Viking Tulips & Windmills-- weather question

kpgclark

My husband and I are considering booking a March 31 sailing on Viking for the Tulips & Windmills cruise. We have never sailed a river before but have done a bit of ocean cruising. Anyhow I'm wondering what the weather might be like on the cruise that week. Is it too chilly to appreciate a balcony stateroom? Can you sit outside much or is it too cold to enjoy the exterior spaces especially when sailing. Thanks in advance for your response.

I looked at the weather but it is hard to gauge with the wind/sunshine etc if it is worth it for a balcony. I'm just wondering what most people's experience is with it. For example, do people generally sit up on the deck with jackets and enjoy the cool weather or do most stay indoors?

Chances are if it is nice, people will sit up top to enjoy the full 360 view. However, during the day you will be on shore visiting the sites and villages...touring.

Distances the ship will travel will be short and most likely happen overnight, not much of picturesque, serene scenery.

RB

We sailed this itinerary first week of April 2015 - we had nice weather. We had a regular stateroom since it was early in the season andweather can be nippy, and also the fact that there is not a lot of sailing time during the day - we did not feel the circumstances warranted the extra cost. We do not spend a lot of time in our cabin, whether ocean or river cruise. It was just wonderful visiting Holland during tulip season!

Edited by CJcruzer

My husband and I are considering booking a March 31 sailing on Viking for the Tulips & Windmills cruise. We have never sailed a river before but have done a bit of ocean cruising. Anyhow I'm wondering what the weather might be like on the cruise that week. Is it too chilly to appreciate a balcony stateroom? Can you sit outside much or is it too cold to enjoy the exterior spaces especially when sailing. Thanks in advance for your response.

I use this website for the weather in the exact ports I'm visiting: http://www.cruiseoutlook.com I see you're from Pennsylvania so the weather won't really be much different from what you're used to. We've been on 2 Viking river cruises now, both times in "aquarium" cabins, the ones with only the porthole window. We've decided that we enjoy the scenery so much that next time around we're springing for what they call the French balcony. No space for chairs but a full length sliding glass door. I wouldn't care what the weather was like outside if I had that much of a view in my cabin!

Booked for a March 18th cruise! Have to go when it is spring break. Standard cabins are sold out, so went for the balcony since we got such a great price. It will be a roll of the dice as far as the weather goes. Planning to take jackets, scarves, etc. Even in chilly weather, there will still be much to see and do, as well as great food.

I did Uniworld's Tulips and Windmills in the second half of April 2010 from Antwerp to Amsterdam. (They have since changed the itinerary.) We didn't have much rain but it started out quite cold. I wore a heavy fleece with a scarf, gloves and earmuffs and was grateful for all. By the time we got to Keukenhof the weather had improved immeasurably; I spent the day in just a top with 3/4 length sleeves.

But that is about a month after your trip. I would expect quite cold weather.

We did this cruise in late April of 2016.

We had a wonderful time. It was the perfect time for the tulips.

However, we had all kinds of weather. Rain, ice, and snow but it was not constantly so it did not interrupt our excursions or our enjoyment.

Be sure if traveling in March and April to take winter hats and gloves and a weatherproof jacket. You can always layer underneath your jacket with sweaters. Some of the passengers were buying jackets, gloves, and hats to wear. Hats and gloves take up so little space why not pack them.

When we went to Delft on the second or third day, I purposely found a flower market and bought 5 dozen tulips for 6 euros. I took the flowers back to the ship because I wanted tulips in our room while we were sailing. As we boarded the Viking ship on our return, the concierge asked if I needed a vase. Within 5 minutes, a steward was at our door with a large vase with water. They lasted the whole trip.