Long, rambling tale of our Viking Rhine Getaway on the Mani 8/26/16

Cyber Kat

Okay - I promised balcony pics in my last post, so I'm trying again ...

p394588860-3.jpg

Yay! You can see we are rafted here. One of the few times. Most time we had a lovely view of the riverside or the portside. We were headed out on an excursion or off to lunch at this point so it wasn't a problem.

The back cushions were nice. There's a little piece of the round table at the bottom. It was enough for some drinks.

And here is the other chair ...

p216436593-3.jpg

Not huge, by any means, but adequate. We felt we this and the extra room inside were worth the up charge.

Continuing on where I left off ...

We walked around the ship, checking it all out.

This is the Sun Deck with the putting green & herb garden

p874427893-3.jpg

We went up to the Sun Deck and watched the HUGE Regent Seven Seas Navigator back out of it's slip and turn around in a very tight space with lots of small boats bobbing about.

Another shot of the Sun Deck with the Movenpic Hotel in the background. Docked next to it is the Azamara Quest.

p713636166-3.jpg

This is the Regent Seven Seas Navigator backing out

p800557746-3.jpg

And now it's turned around and heading out. BIG ship

p810963715-3.jpg

After that we went down to change for dinner.

People mostly dressed for dinner in casual, yet comfy clothes. Men were dressed in short sleeve shirts - polo or woven. Women wore pants, capris and nice tops. A few skirts here and there. I saw Bermuda length shorts on both men and women from time to time. But everyone looked appropriate!

I wore pants or a comfy knit skirt, I'd brought just in case I needed one, and LL Bean t-shirts with a scarf or jewelry. I re-wore the t-shirts for excursions later on. I actually got more wear out of the skirt than I thought I would. It was cooler in the hot weather than my Bermuda shorts.

My husband wore polos and dockers or sometimes his jeans - neat, clean jeans, of course!

And that's six pics, so I'm moving on

That Regent ship was the Seven Seas Voyager - I don't know where I got Navigator

Each night they had a cocktail hour from about 5:30-7:00 with the Daily Briefing at about 6:15pm.

I'd heard these Daily Briefings were crowded, but we never had a problem getting a seat. The other guests were mostly 50's & 60s. Some were older, a few younger. There was one couple in their late 20s - early 30s who seemed to have a wonderful time, and had no problems fitting in (when they weren't glued to their cell phones). They would look up, with a surprised expression at finding themselves among others, and just start chatting as if they'd been chatting all along. I thought they were fun.

This is the lounge - plenty of seats

p582052020-3.jpg

p643731798-3.jpg

Unless you have the Silver Spirits package, you pay for drinks during cocktail hour (except for 2 champagne toasts during the Welcome Dinner and the Captain's Dinner on the last night). We thought the prices were reasonable.

I have to admit that we snuck out a few minutes early, because I'd heard there was a mad rush to the restaurant at the end. I don't think I ever saw the mad rush, and a couple of times, I stayed to the end, while my husband went ahead. Of course, you do have 180-190 people all moving at once. so I guess it could seem chaotic, but it wasn't really. We had 185 passengers on our cruise out of a possible 190.

The first night, we took a table for 6 at the window and were joined, by a couple from Scotland and another couple from Canada - lovely people. Everyone we met were lovely with 1 exception - there's always one. I'll get to him later.

This was "our" table and the people we sat with. We have no idea what this sailing vessel was, but we all took pics!

p1011726300-3.jpg

Each night we took that table or another in that section. We sat with couples from England, Northern Ireland, Canada and a couple of times we had repeat dinner companions. One time we had 2 couples that were from Utah, and not Mormons. Stereotyping, I know - sorry, I just expect people from Utah to be Mormons. :o

We were finishing up dinner on the first night, with dessert & coffee and I noticed the most glorious sunset. I tried to get some pics - but it was through the glass (the last day of the cruise, I learned that my camera has a "through glass" setting - could have made good use of that on the buses!). I think some of these came out okay.

p1020930209-3.jpg

p657267935-3.jpg

As we returned to our cabin after dinner, we noticed that we were moving. YAY! We were on our way! Rhine here we come! Next stop Kinderdijk!

Saturday, August 27

From the Viking Daily ...

Today's Weather: Partly Cloudy 58-76° F

Café Breakfast: 6:00-11:00 AM at the coffee stations

Continental Breakfast: 6:00-11:00 AM A selection of beverages & breakfast items on the Aquavit Terrace.

Restaurant Breakfast: 7:30-10:00 AM a few more items on a buffet than on the Aquavit Terrace, plus some dishes cooked to order. They also had champagne if you wanted or wanted to make a mimosa with the OJ.

This was pretty much the same every day. The times varied slightly depending on the port and schedule for the day's activities.

We usually did the Continental breakfast, but twice I ate in the restaurant. I'd have done it more often, but we don't eat eggs, because we don't like them. My husband is worse than I am - he can't sit at a table if others are eating eggs. I can tolerate pretty much anything but poached or soft boiled. There are no tables for 2 so it was difficult. You can't exactly tell people, "You can't sit here if you're eating eggs!"

The Continental Breakfast was usually bread, cheeses and cold meats, yogurt with a fruit topping. They make the yogurt on the ship and it was so good! They also had small dishes of muesli - that was also very good. There was a selection of muffins, pastries, cold cereal, coffee, tea, and orange juice. No champagne :(.

I usually grabbed a cup of cappuccino from the coffee station to have with breakfast. It was very good from that machine. And they had caramel or hazlenut syrup that you could add if you wanted to. I did want to try the hot chocolate, but the weather was just too warm, and I consider hot chocolate a cold weather drink. Just me!

In the restaurant they had a big bowl of the muesli and you could add all sorts of dried fruit and nuts to it. I really liked that. They also had small plates with smoked salmon and another kind of fish. I'm not sure what the second was. It was a white fish. I love smoked salmon and it came with capers, a slice of onion, cream cheese and a bagel chip. You could get bacon, hash browns/home fries, sausage and scrambled eggs from the buffet there, or you could order eggs or pancakes (sometimes waffles) from the wait staff.

So there are plenty of breakfast options.

There was a presentation on Dutch Water Management at 9:30 in the lounge. I think we caught part of this. I don't recall, because the Kinderdijk guide spoke about Dutch water management as well.

We arrived at Kinderdijk at around 10:00 AM as scheduled. I had read on the Cruise Critic boards to avoid the rush to pick up the boarding cards and tour assignments. We usually stopped at the reception desk for these on the way to breakfast.

A word about tour assignments:

On our cruise there were A, B, C, D and sometimes and E & F groups. There was no "easy walk" group for Kinderdijk because it's all flat, but there were for many of the others. If you get assigned to the D group in Kinderdijk - or whichever is the first port on the Basel to Amsterdam route - you're going to be stuck in the last group each time. You can ask to get assigned to another group, but we really didn't think about it until we realized that we were nearly always the last group. Being the last group, means that your free time is limited or comes at the beginning of the tour - which we found inconvenient.

Our D group was the last to leave the ship for the walk over the road to the Kinderdijk site. There were other groups ahead of us on the first stop, so we went into the little souvenir shop first. We didn't have much time, because then she was moving us along, and we had a very short window at the end in the other shop because we had to get back to the ship.

We were also kind of rushed through the windmill because only so many can go in at a time.

That said - I enjoyed the tour. Our guide had some interesting tidbits to share, and the site is beautiful. I wish we had, had more time to do the little boat tour, because you got better views of all the windmills. There is also a more modern pumping station that has the workings exposed for viewing.

Remember when I was talking about the other passengers and that most were nice, but there was one PITA in the crowd? Well, this is where he made his first appearance. He was kind of a big guy, and he seemed to have some issues with walking. He didn't hold up the group, but it seemed like he was ALWAYS in front of me. I would pass him, and a few minutes later, no matter how fast I walked - there he was. He seemed oblivious to the fact that there were other people. Every time I'd go to take a photo - he would step right in front of me. I have so many pics of this guy's back, arms, head. Good thing they are digital and I can delete instead of paying to have prints developed like in the old days.

He was also always asking the guides strange questions, and then questioning there answer.

No big deal in the scheme of things. It was just weird and kind of frustrating - like he was attached to me with a tether of some sort. Or perhaps it was my camera that was the attraction! We never really had any conversation with him - so who knows, perhaps he was nice!

Our first look at the Kinderdijk windmills

p898525989-3.jpg

These were some of the pilings they use to shore up the dikes

p1067884650-3.jpg

And we're getting closer to the windmills

p739049125-3.jpg

And a map of the site

p860360733-3.jpg

And I've got to leave you for a bit ... but I'll be back!

You explain how Viking operates with such detail. I'm not sure I understand about the groups. All pax don't leave and return at the same time? This is different than other lines I've traveled on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are the included tours. They break up the total number of people into smaller groups so you're not touring with a huge mob. There were usually 4. We each had our own bus and our own guide. Sometimes the slow walkers rode on the bus with another group.

There was time between the groups in some places and in others each group did similar routes in different directions.

In Kinderdijk there was really only one route so we were staggered. Same with Marksburg Castle. The passages in the Castle were narrow and many rooms small. We were the last group through, so we were a little rushed in some areas, but the guides were pretty good at stretching [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Something I forgot to mention ...

For all tours, you also need your Quietvox audio receiver. I had a love-hate relationship with these things. The ones we had were smaller and lighter than other ones I've see pictures of. They have a lanyard strap that goes around your neck, but I have long hair that I wear in a braid, plus my city bag and everything kept getting tangled.

Here's a tip: If you have some kind of bag with 2 water bottle slots, put the receiver in there. That worked out so much better.

The earpiece is not adjustable and mine seemed too small. It rubbed on the back of my ear and made it sore. Also you all have to swipe the receiver part on a special cardboard thing with electronics inside, so it would pick up the right transmission for your guide. This technology needs some work, because too often, it didn't - work, that is.

The guides hated that part and so did we. But when they worked, they were great. You could hear everything the guide said, while you were taking photos or looking at something interesting. They were also great because if the sound started breaking up, you knew you needed to catch up!

So our tour passed the more modern pumping station on our way to tour one of the windmills. Most of the women passed this by, but I found it fascinating, so here's a pic!

p982105093-3.jpg

And I took this photo along the way, because I liked the waterlilies and the little house across the way

p565064668-3.jpg

When we passed the second souvenir shop, and there were people outside giving away samples of cheese. It was quite yummy, but I'm not sure what the cheese was. They had several different kinds for sale.

We made our way along the path toward the Museum Windmill Nederwald. We crossed one of the drainage canals on a lovely little bridge, and there were children swimming there. It was hot!

This is the path. It's very flat, so easy walking.

p850265829-3.jpg

And we're getting closer to the windmills

p981640866-3.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos. The sun was so often in the wrong place at the wrong time, but this time it played to my advantage

p724853330-3.jpg

This was the little bridge we crossed to get there

p912903863-3.jpg

And that's 6 - I'll do the inside in the next post

The windmill was interesting to see. I couldn't believe that the couple who lived here at one time had 13 children. It's a small place for a couple, let alone 13 children.

I only looked around the bottom floor. There was a line for the upper floor, and I have issues with stairs - I fall down them. I think I take too big a step, and don't get my foot in the right place. These stairs were steep and narrow, and we were running late, so I skipped that part. The upper floor was the sleeping quarters for the children and some of the mechanics of the windmill.

This is the main living/eating and parents' sleeping area

p1050901976-3.jpg

The tiny bed was for 2 people. They slept sitting up because they thought only dead people lay flat out.

Stove and clothes "dryer"

p1056468497-3.jpg

Their table

p1055012708-3.jpg

Keep in mind that people volunteer to live in these and keep them up today. Kinda cramped in here!

Pantry ...

p700687722-3.jpg

Part of the mechanics to make the windmill work

p649883001-3.jpg

And the stairs!

p1019093831-3.jpg

That's 6 and I've got some errands, but I'll be back!

"don’t quite get the socks, but I guess if your feet get cold."

Did you ever get your answer about the socks?

I saw folks in the Business class of United put them on when they took there shoes off and would walk around the cabin in them. Then discard them when it was time to get off. I figured mine would come in handy when I got home to wear around the house.

Thanks for all of this! I have now put two sorts of ear phones in my carry on bag so's not to forget them. That was a helpful tip, we have had problems with these devices in the past......

It is 4.5 weeks to our Rhine Getaway. Is anyone else going from Basel on 30th October?

Thanks for all of this! I have now put two sorts of ear phones in my carry on bag so's not to forget them. That was a helpful tip, we have had problems with these devices in the past......

It is 4.5 weeks to our Rhine Getaway. Is anyone else going from Basel on 30th October?

I don't sail this itinerary until NEXT year about that time. I hope you post and share your experience. Curious how the weather treats you.

Something I forgot to mention ...

For all tours, you also need your Quietvox audio receiver. I had a love-hate relationship with these things. The ones we had were smaller and lighter than other ones I've see pictures of. They have a lanyard strap that goes around your neck, but I have long hair that I wear in a braid, plus my city bag and everything kept getting tangled.

Here's a tip: If you have some kind of bag with 2 water bottle slots, put the receiver in there. That worked out so much better.

The earpiece is not adjustable and mine seemed too small. It rubbed on the back of my ear and made it sore. Also you all have to swipe the receiver part on a special cardboard thing with electronics inside, so it would pick up the right transmission for your guide. This technology needs some work, because too often, it didn't - work, that is.

The guides hated that part and so did we. But when they worked, they were great. You could hear everything the guide said, while you were taking photos or looking at something interesting. They were also great because if the sound started breaking up, you knew you needed to catch up!

Do you recall any hearing-impaired special equipment? My mom wears hearing aids and typically doesn't take them out to use other earpieces.

Do you recall any hearing-impaired special equipment? My mom wears hearing aids and typically doesn't take them out to use other earpieces.

My husband wears hearing aids in both ears and although we have not found any special equipment for the audio boxes on river cruises, he does very well with the standard provided equipment in lieu of his hearing aids. He has found the set up to work well for him and has complimented it.

My husband wears hearing aids in both ears and although we have not found any special equipment for the audio boxes on river cruises, he does very well with the standard provided equipment in lieu of his hearing aids. He has found the set up to work well for him and has complimented it.

TY for the info. I would hate for her to miss out.

It was mentioned at one time that the earpiece is specifically designed for the left ear. There are some of us (specifically, me!) that have total hearing loss in their left ear. Has anything changed? Are right-ear earpieces available, or does not have to wear the thing upside down in your right ear, which I'm pretty sure isn't super-comfortable.

If not, I may have to bring my own earpiece when the time to cruise comes.

It was mentioned at one time that the earpiece is specifically designed for the left ear. There are some of us (specifically, me!) that have total hearing loss in their left ear. Has anything changed? Are right-ear earpieces available, or does not have to wear the thing upside down in your right ear, which I'm pretty sure isn't super-comfortable.

If not, I may have to bring my own earpiece when the time to cruise comes.

You can bring your own set of earbuds/headphones as the connection is a standard one. We saw several people switch their AudioVox ear piece out for a double set of earbuds. I will probably do that next time as the included ear piece is rather "edgy" sometimes and can feel harsh on the ear.