Mdr

conom

At times we love the "al fresco" dining on the terrace. This summer we had the best view I think we ever had from a dinner table in Monte Carlo. Saw the whole city from our table and it was just wonderful. So you need to pick and choose where you dine. There is no one perfect place. :):):)

We did the same.....wonderful view, great dinner. ;)

We enjoy the GDR. On vacation, we'd rather be served than do Buffet. The food in the Terrace is good, but we'd rather be seated and be served our courses individually by the wait staff.

I lived in Europe for four years and came to enjoy a slow paced casual dinner, enjoying the food, wine, and company of those seated with me. Some fellow Americans can't handle it. They prefer the "flip that table" attitude of many upper scale restaurants where they serve you three courses and throw you out the door in 39 minutes so to clean up and seat the next group. That's very American, I know I'm one and see it regularly. So, if that's the experience that you're looking for, and prefer, the GDR is probably not for you. Saying you're on vacation, chill out, enjoy the moment, along with the wine, food, and company, for some, is like throwing grease on a fire. We will never overcome that difference in preference, Never. Here's the facts, the GDR serves one's meal at the leisurely Southern European pace. If you can't handle it, go do Buffet and eat in < 30 minutes and move on, or, if you're in a PH harass the hell out of your butler to keep the food coming!

As many have posted, the outside tables at the Terrace can be lovely on some eves. Also, let me tell you that many Bogart those tables from opening until close, so unless you are willing to either (a) line up before opening to race to get one, or: (b) willing to eat very late; don't expect to find one available on any nice evening. It's as bad, if not worse that lounge chairs around the pool! :eek: Groups will send a person down to reserve/hold the table upon opening, then that person waits for the Group to arrive. We typically have cocktails in Horizons, enjoy a scenic sail away from port, and avoid the older folks (that want to be in bed by 21:00) rush at the restaurant's opening. Therefore, when we go to the Terrace, the odds, on a great evening, of getting a table outside is about zero. Not complaining, nor crying, just letting you know how it is, and what your expectations should be.

We love the GDR for breakfast on sea days. Since we typically have tours booked on port days, we rarely eat there on those days. We likewise book many/most of our Specialty reservations either on sea days or the night before sea days. There is only so much one like myself chooses to eat on any given day. Therefore, if we have a larger late breakfast, we eat a very light lunch, which won't be in the GDR. Sometimes, we choose to have only coffee and fruit for breakfast, and then enjoy a really nice lunch in the GDR. When we do that, we plan a late dinner.

The various restaurants offer plenty of options for meals. I find it hard to believe one, that even slightly adventuresome, will ever get bored at any of the restaurants. I likewise realize that some only want meat and potatoes, or some alternative, every meal and will accept nothing else. So the largest part of the issue is: what type of dinner are YOU!

Wow Pinot, was your post condescending. I cannot ever remember eating at a high end restaurant (or for that matter any decent restaurant in the States) where 3 courses were served in 39 minutes. This claim is ridiculous and utterly insulting.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in January and I hope we meet people who have better attitudes. Please Oceania cruisers tell me these negative comments aren't typical of people we will run into.

To those who gave helpful comparisons between the two restaurants, thanks do much.

Edited by Oville

Wow Pinot, was your post condescending. I cannot ever remember eating at a high end restaurant (or for that matter any decent restaurant in the States) where 3 courses were served in 39 minutes. This claim is ridiculous and utterly insulting.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in January and I hope we meet people who have better attitudes. Please Oceania cruisers tell me these negative comments aren't typical of people we will run into.

To those who gave helpful comparisons between the two restaurants, thanks do much.

I think that most of us have better attitudes than that. Do not hold this one poster against the rest of us. Enjoy your trip. You will love it. :):):)

I have a great attitude and am often one of the Oceania cheerleaders!

I could provide a long list of restaurants that book tables on a one hour turnaround with some doing so at 50 minutes intervals. Some pay their wait staff bonuses based on the percentage of tables they flip within certain time frames. To flip a table, on a 50 minute schedule, while providing time to bus and reset up that table requires flipping it in close to 40 minutes.

This subject is like those of dress codes. Some cruisers are against them, while others cherish them, not much meeting in the middle. Oceania offers the Terrace, a very good restaurant for those that want to dress casually (in shorts or jeans) for dinner, the other restaurants have dress codes. Some people prefer to eat as rapidly as possible and then leave to do something else, while others like slower paced meals. I don't feel that is a condescending statement. The GDR serves a Southern European paced dinner giving its diners the chase to relax and unwind. If that pace is not satisfactory to you, Oceania provides the option of eating at your own pace in the Terrace. There are cruisers that do not like the pace of service in the GDR. You should read the constant comments, in the river cruising threads, from those that hate leisurely paced dinners of 2 hours. There, on many river boats, they don't have options, Oceania provides options.

Oceania, overall, is very customer satisfication oriented. I'm sure that if they felt the majority (or even near so) of their cruisers wanted the pace of service, in the GDR, to be to flip the table in under an hour, they would change it to be so. I have heard cruisers tell the wait staff " We're in a hurry this evening, could you please serve our courses as quickly as possible". I believe the wait staff attempts to accommodate them. When they tell the wait staff that every time they walk into the door, I'm not sure how long that accommodation continues, however.

I did not find the post condescending at all. Pretty accurate. As a general rule Europeans dine; Americans eat. Not all of course but multicourse meals are not the norm in the US.

There are often lounge hogs for the limited shady areas and on some cruises a rush to get those outdoor tables on a lovely evening.

There is of course the infamous early bird in Florida. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

I did not find the post condescending at all. Pretty accurate. As a general rule Europeans dine; Americans eat. Not all of course but multicourse meals are not the norm in the US.

There are often lounge hogs for the limited shady areas and on some cruises a rush to get those outdoor tables on a lovely evening.

We dine (not eat) between 8:00 and 8:30. Will there be issues outside at that hour?

Not sure what the point of your Florida early bird was.

Edited by Oville

Example of American multicourse meal eaten in less than hour. Lol. Lighten up

I don't think you will have much trouble at that hour unless diners linger linger talking over wine or order cocktails. That can happen

Every cruise is different. No way to predict. Just go with an open mind and enjoy

Edited by bitob

We dine (not eat) between 8:00 and 8:30. Will there be issues outside at that hour?

It will depend on your fellow shipmates

some like to dine outside more than others

You may get lucky & get a table you just never know

I don't think you will have much trouble at that hour unless diners linger linger talking over wine or order cocktails. That can happen

Every cruise is different. No way to predict. Just go with an open mind and enjoy

It will depend on your fellow shipmates

some like to dine outside more than others

You may get lucky & get a table you just never know

Thanks, we'll give it a go one night.

Not sure what the point of your Florida early bird was.

We have never been able to obtain a table outside on the terrace and we also dine at that time. However, it would depend on the cruise. If you are sailing the northern waters and it is chilly I am sure tables will be available. If it is in the Med during the warmer seasons than you can't count on it.

I agree and had no problem with the post. Am I missing something?

We have never been able to obtain a table outside on the terrace and we also dine at that time. However, it would depend on the cruise. If you are sailing the northern waters and it is chilly I am sure tables will be available. If it is in the Med during the warmer seasons than you can't count on it.

Thanks so much. It is a Caribbean cruise Jan/Feb '17 so maybe we will take a pass. We are in a suite so we'll see, probably do a couple of specialty dinners there and the rest in the Dining Room.

Katie

Edited by Oville

I agree and had no problem with the post. Am I missing something?

Yes you did. The very broad brush painting of American's eating dinner in 39 minutes followed by the Americans eat, Europeans dine. These generalities do not mesh with anyone I know here in the States.

But what's great about CC, we all have our opinions and ideas. We pretty much have cruised on Celebrity since 2009 and now think although we are paying more for our Oceania cruise, it may be a step down from Celeb as we have never had a 39 minute dinner and have always felt we've dined, not just eaten.

But what's great about CC, we all have our opinions and ideas. We pretty much have cruised on Celebrity since 2009 and now think although we are paying more for our Oceania cruise, it may be a step down from Celeb as we have never had a 39 minute dinner and have always felt we've dined, not just eaten.

I would not worry about the comments ..

The only time I may have had a 39 min dinner on Oceania is in the Terrace & we choose to eat a bit quicker to get out of there

Most meals last 1-3 hrs depending on the number of diners at the table I may have once gotten out of the GDR in lest than 1 hr but that is rare in my experience

do not judge the cruise by some of the comments here

go & enjoy

Lyn

Oville,

Don't be discouraged by a few posts - you've been on CC long enough to know better (even though it might have been on another board).

Please go with an open mind and I am certain that you will enjoy Oceania at least as much as Celebrity. The food is really good and the great majority of passengers are very nice and friendly.

Bon voyage :)

I would not worry about the comments ..

The only time I may have had a 39 min dinner on Oceania is in the Terrace & we choose to eat a bit quicker to get out of there

Most meals last 1-3 hrs depending on the number of diners at the table I may have once gotten out of the GDR in lest than 1 hr but that is rare in my experience

do not judge the cruise by some of the comments here

go & enjoy

Lyn

Lyn, thank you. You are my go to voice to get info about Oceania and I appreciate it.

Katie

Edited by Oville

Oville,

Don't be discouraged by a few posts - you've been on CC long enough to know better (even though it might have been on another board).

Please go with an open mind and I am certain that you will enjoy Oceania at least as much as Celebrity. The food is really good and the great majority of passengers are very nice and friendly.

Bon voyage :)

Thank you too Paul. And yes you are right, there are the naysayers on all the cruiseline boards and Celebrity is certainly not an exception though this dining vs eating topic I do not recall. We will go with an open mind but may pass on the 39 minute Terrace dinner.;):p

Katie

Edited by Oville

Thank you too Paul. And yes you are right, there are the naysayers on all the cruiseline boards and Celebrity is certainly not an exception though this dining vs eating topic I do not recall. We will go with an open mind but may pass on the 39 minute Terrace dinner.;):p

Katie

When we want to eat in the GDR but not necessarily for 2 hours (but more than 39 min!), we get there when they open at 6:30 and ask for a table for two by a good window. These tables generally get served faster but you are never rushed in and out. We usually do not eat breakfast or lunch there because of touring but it is great for both if not in a hurry and way less busy than Waves and Terrace. We like the outside tables at Terrace when not windy but refuse to fight for those tables. I personally hate Waves because of having to stake out a table then order then wait if not taking what is in the hot ready section but many people seem to love Waves for breakfast and lunch. If they have a special brunch buffet in the GDR (we had it on one cruise but not the other), do not miss it. It was self serve and getting there early is a good idea because it gets harder to get the good things as more people come but so delicious!

many Americans who have had a taste of dining or European can feel some how special in their acquired experiences.

After 40 years traveling and eating in 4 continents, I must say European dining habits are no better or worse than Americans...its just that they seem so new and exciting to observe in a foreign country.

Haute dining, any where in the world remains rather uniform except for the language and cuisine... It is an illusion of perception to think other wise. The furthur one moves up the quality chain the longer the time spent at the table and the more paced the service..... in Paris Fr or Branson mo, no difference I have ever been able to really discern...

Terrace and Main dining room serve well crafted, excellent quality dishes with the same inherent quality...The only difference is the greater freedom for the diner in Terrace to utilize his creative taste v.s. Main dining fixed menu.