Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

I made a request using the special needs email and got a confirmation in two hours. Super fast!

The time it takes for an email response is not the issue. The issue is that on most every ship, foam mattress toppers are unavailable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly the hard beds are a huge issue...why doesn't RCI take cue from hotels and supply some plush comfy bedding??

Hmmm....

One could make the case that maybe a hundred people commenting out of millions of cruisers doesn't reflect a "huge issue". In addition, there are plenty of folks who actually prefer/enjoy a firmer mattress. Two sides to the coin.

For those reasons, it would seem there won't be changes anytime soon.

Currently on Brilliance. Mattress is comfortable...

Not hard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Maybe take a picture of the side view of the mattress without sheets and post it later. Some people have reported that there were things already stuffed under the sheets to make the mattress more comfortable. Others report having older mattresses.

It's really hard to judge what to expect because there is not just one mattress (with no extra padding) being reported on.

Hmmm....

One could make the case that maybe a hundred people commenting out of millions of cruisers doesn't reflect a "huge issue". In addition, there are plenty of folks who actually prefer/enjoy a firmer mattress. Two sides to the coin.

For those reasons, it would seem there won't be changes anytime soon.

Concierge on Anthem seemed aware of the 'problem'.

Agree, cant please everyone. Some like soft some firm. I like them firm, 100 nights on Royals ships in last 3 yrs and never had issue sleeping.

I haven't had a problem since 2005, until Anthem in August. My JS pillowtop luxury mattress was hard.

Concierge on Anthem seemed aware of the 'problem'.

Just like at hotels...there is a "policy" that employees are made about regarding things like mattresses and pillows - too hard or soft.

It's simply not that big a deal, and affects <1% of all customers. Those will be the vocal ones. For the other 99% of travelers/cruisers...its a solution without a problem.

Feeling worried about this, I just went online and requested on for our upcoming Christmas Cruise on the Oasis. Fingers crossed!

I was on Oasis in March and again last week. In both cases there were mattress toppers already on the beds without us even having to ask.

Just like at hotels...there is a "policy" that employees are made about regarding things like mattresses and pillows - too hard or soft.

It's simply not that big a deal, and affects <1% of all customers. Those will be the vocal ones. For the other 99% of travelers/cruisers...its a solution without a problem.

Hard beds weren't even discussed on these boards until within the last year or so. Stewards seem aware of the complaints as well.

I can honestly say that I've never slept on a harder mattress in my life.

I know you think it's an imaginary problem, so why bother reading these threads?

btw I specifically booked 2 JS to get the 'luxury pillowtop mattress'. Would you expect this to be hard?

Edited by marci22

Hard beds weren't even discussed on these boards until within the last year or so. Stewards seem aware of the complaints as well.

I can honestly say that I've never slept on a harder mattress in my life.

I know you think it's an imaginary problem, so why bother reading these threads?

btw I specifically booked 2 JS to get the 'luxury pillowtop mattress'. Would you expect this to be hard?

Nobody said it's imaginary...more like minority.

If the JS is still "hard", then something is wrong.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Everyone is different. What you say is comfortable someone else may find intolerable. As an example, I can sleep anywhere and fall asleep immediately. My wife is different. I don't have a problem with the beds, she says every bed on all of our cruises, except one, was like trying to sleep on a bed of nails. We usually book GS and above. So category doesn't guarantee comfort for everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Edited by JimAOk1945

I would respectfully beg to disagree with you. On my recent cruise this past July, there were MANY that I heard complaining of the mattresses. I was also with a large family group and at least half were very dissatisfied with the ultra-firm mattresses.

There are other threads along the same lines as this one going on right now. I believe that it is going to continue to be a problem for many more than 1% of RCL cruisers.

I would respectfully beg to disagree with you. On my recent cruise this past July, there were MANY that I heard complaining of the mattresses. I was also with a large family group and at least half were very dissatisfied with the ultra-firm mattresses.

There are other threads along the same lines as this one going on right now. I believe that it is going to continue to be a problem for many more than 1% of RCL cruisers.

OK...we agree to disagree. Like many other topics, this got blown out of proportion. We have yet to find a single person who has cruised with us on any ship make the complaint about the mattresses. Not one single person, including friends who have cruised with us and plenty of people met on board where the topic of comfort in sleeping came up.

One previous poster said it best - one person's hard mattress is another person's perfect comfort mattress.

The reality is that you tend to hear from the small minority who may be vocal on almost any topic...and not the 99% who actually don't make the effort to post to say "everything was fine...just to tell everyone". The only posts of that nature are in reviews.

I hard many people complaining about the "hard as a brick" mattresses on the Anthem last January. My husband and I were in that group. We are thinking about bringing a mattress topper with us on our upcoming Anthem cruise.

Reasoning for mattress toppers being gone or reduced is bed bugs according to RCCL. I'd rather have a hard surface! We're going to bring our backpacking blow up mattresses just in case. I'll be checking threads pertaining to our ship as our embankment date approaches. Wow...that's the first time I've ever used embankment. What a GREAT word!!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with RCCL and they said no egg crates but they give double mattress instead, He said the request is on file but to check ASAP to see if it was indeed placed. We are going on the Adventure at the end of the month.

Made a request a while back and received an email stating they got my request and it will be taken care of.

It even states it on my cruise paperwork under Disabled Request(Matt Topp). I'm in no way disabled and it kind of took me back for a second.

I need a soft bed due to some hip pain I get when sleeping on the harder mattresses. We'll see how it goes if it's there. If not I'm not going to worry about it. And if I don't need it I'll just have them remove it and give it to someone else.

OK...we agree to disagree. Like many other topics, this got blown out of proportion. We have yet to find a single person who has cruised with us on any ship make the complaint about the mattresses. Not one single person, including friends who have cruised with us and plenty of people met on board where the topic of comfort in sleeping came up.

One previous poster said it best - one person's hard mattress is another person's perfect comfort mattress.

The reality is that you tend to hear from the small minority who may be vocal on almost any topic...and not the 99% who actually don't make the effort to post to say "everything was fine...just to tell everyone". The only posts of that nature are in reviews.

Not intending to be rude, but just because you have not experienced this does not mean there's not an issue, at least for some people. Personally, my husband and I both have issues with firm mattresses. We haven't slept particularly well on our last two cruises. The best sleep we had was on Freedom 5 years ago. Please don't try to discredit other peoples' experiences.

Having a head's up that there are new mattresses that fall into the "firm" category, along with suggestions for how to deal with it is extremely helpful. I'm not going to complain about it, but we have purchased the inflatable mattresses that others have used, hoping it helps us to not wake up with backaches, and aching hips. If we end up not needing them, we'll put them away for our cruise on Liberty. A friend of mine just got off that ship and she and her husband ended up trading nights sleeping on the couch.

That's certainly great news. I've got two emails from special needs indicating the foam topper will be in place when I arrive, and a phone call to special needs that indicated they were not available. However, you're the second confirmation from a FOS pax they were available. So I guess we'll just see. Thanks.

Did you get your mattress topper?

Another thread today references toppers on bed and comfortable on Harmony. Since it would have the newest beds, maybe it's hopeful RCCL has listened to complaints about new hard beds and come up w a solution going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums