Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

I wonder why they would decide to take away something like this?!? I highly doubt they would pick up the rolled topper on a scan or go thru your luggage to find it. [emoji3].

We're leaving Oct 29th and will be ordering four of these before we leave! I figure we could just blow it up before bed and then deflate and throw it back in our bags in the morning. [emoji1360] I'm still chuckling at the thought of having my mattress topper removed - they definitely would hear from me at guest services! Lol.

Thank you to everyone for such great information!!! You saved our backs! [emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think that you will need to put it away every morning. I left mine on the bed for the entire cruise with no issues.

I was on the oasis 9/03 sailing. Sailing in a boardwalk balcony and there bed was harder than the floor, if that could even be possible, i requested mattress topper from my room steward after the first night and had it on my bed that day. It was a very thick foam topper and was very nice and solved our problems. I can't say for sure if Royal doesn't have them now or if that's just certain ships but I definitely was able to get one day 2 on our sept cruise.

They really need to do something about the beds. I was perfectly comfortable on each bed I had on NCL and we are not super picky, but the ones on Oasis were ridiculous. I don't know how we would have gotten any rest without that mattress topper

Thanks for posting that nice roll up mattress pad. I may invest in one, esp if my next cruise is with Royal. You simply can't put a price on a good nights rest!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi BekkaW,

We would be on Voyager for the Christmas sailing to the South Pacific this year and a bit worried about the mattress.

Did you order your mattress topper before the cruise?

Perhaps we should bring our own mattress topper but worried as well that RCI might take them away.

Regards,

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't see them confiscating mattress toppers. What would be the reason?

My point exactly. It literally fits in a carry on and is soft on all sides. Hardly a danger to anyone :rolleyes: Thinking they will confiscate this is nonsense. People bring their own pillows all the time - what's the difference really??

I wonder why they would decide to take away something like this?!? I highly doubt they would pick up the rolled topper on a scan or go thru your luggage to find it. [emoji3].

We're leaving Oct 29th and will be ordering four of these before we leave! I figure we could just blow it up before bed and then deflate and throw it back in our bags in the morning. [emoji1360] I'm still chuckling at the thought of having my mattress topper removed - they definitely would hear from me at guest services! Lol.

Thank you to everyone for such great information!!! You saved our backs! [emoji869]

Hi there,

I bring a rolled up mattress topper

from walmart each cruise and carry it on. It has never been taken away and I have never had an issue with anyone asking about it.

I just ask my cabin steward to please put it on the bed and they do.

Since I buy the $30 one for a twin bed, I offer it to the steward on the last morning and all have been happy to take it for their own room.

I travel with a piece of memory foam (14" x 5', 2 inches thick) I roll it as tight as I can and put it in my suitcase. It is larger than the blow up one but worth the room in the suitcase for me since I had a hip replacement. It makes any bed very comfortable ( I am 5'3" and don't put it under my pillow. )

Hi BekkaW,

We would be on Voyager for the Christmas sailing to the South Pacific this year and a bit worried about the mattress.

Did you order your mattress topper before the cruise?

Perhaps we should bring our own mattress topper but worried as well that RCI might take them away.

Regards,

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just asked our steward for it the first morning after we woke up. I would be surprised if they confiscated toppers people brought from home.

We are a group of friends that travel together. We had 4 cabins side-by-side. I sent an email request in for all 4 couples to have mattress toppers placed on our beds. We received a reply from RC saying that they would be on our beds, but I must say I was a bit skeptical if they would really be there or not. We were pleasantly surprised, when we arrived on Explorer Of The Seas last week they were already in place on our beds. They were very comfortable.

We are a group of friends that travel together. We had 4 cabins side-by-side. I sent an email request in for all 4 couples to have mattress toppers placed on our beds. We received a reply from RC saying that they would be on our beds, but I must say I was a bit skeptical if they would really be there or not. We were pleasantly surprised, when we arrived on Explorer Of The Seas last week they were already in place on our beds. They were very comfortable.

We were on that same cruise on the Explorer (I think) and we also requested a mattress topper prior to sailing and it was confirmed. We got there and the bed had no topper ... and the mattress was hard as a rock. I mentioned this to my room steward and he said they no longer had the bed toppers but he would add a duvet under the sheets. I wanted to ask him to add two as it was the firmest mattress I ever sat on ... but was going to try it out with the one and see how that worked out. It actually made the bed quite comfortable and never had to request the second layer. And ... I sleep on an extra plush mattress at my home so really thought I would be miserable on one of these super firm mattresses. I was amazed that one thin layer did the trick.

The pillows on the bed, however, were just unacceptable. I requested something soft ... feather being my first choice. Our room steward found me a contoured memory foam pillow that was just superb and the next day, found a nice squishy pillow with foam chunks as well that my DH really liked. So, we ended up very happy all the way around.

I sleep on a very firm tempurpedic type mattress at home. I've sailed on Freedom and Explorer and the beds were fine. I'm going on Indy. Can anyone advise if they have the cheap, hard thin mattress? I'm trying to sell my fiancé on cruising and he has a bad back so a good bed is important. I may have to get a topper to bring.

I sleep on a very firm tempurpedic type mattress at home. I've sailed on Freedom and Explorer and the beds were fine. I'm going on Indy. Can anyone advise if they have the cheap, hard thin mattress? I'm trying to sell my fiancé on cruising and he has a bad back so a good bed is important. I may have to get a topper to bring.

I don't think these mattresses are necessarily cheap or thin, just hard. Not sure if they replace all of the mattresses at once, either. So someone on an older ship may get an old mattress, while someone else gets the new, firmer mattress.

Best bet is to put in a request for a topper before you sail, or as soon as you board. Or bring your own.

I spent 10 nights on the Indy last November, and unless they have switched out the mattresses, they are cement hard. Sorry, not the answer you were hoping for....

Glad I saw this. We received a mattress topper on previous cruises. I am too nervous about the hard beds. Did you bring your topper and just ask the room steward to put it on for you or did you just do it yourself?

Following this conversation closely. We have air mattresses at home, I like maximum firm and he's a medium. The Adventure is getting refurbished 2 weeks before our cruise in November. Does anyone know if they will be replacing their mattresses?

Also I read someone got a memory foamed pillow upon request, is this isolated? I know hubby would be most happy if he could get one for him.

Following this conversation closely. We have air mattresses at home, I like maximum firm and he's a medium. The Adventure is getting refurbished 2 weeks before our cruise in November. Does anyone know if they will be replacing their mattresses?

Also I read someone got a memory foamed pillow upon request, is this isolated? I know hubby would be most happy if he could get one for him.

I was on the 2nd sailing after the Freedom went through a refurb in 2015, the mattresses were untouched. I was on the Adventure in February and I can honestly say the mattresses were horrible. It was this cruise when I had requested toppers in advance through special needs and there was no record of this request onboard - there are no toppers anymore, just folded up duvets. The folded duvet was useless. Just sayin'.

I am bringing my own mattress pad on the Freedom in a few weeks. Taking no chances.

I was on the 2nd sailing after the Freedom went through a refurb in 2015, the mattresses were untouched. I was on the Adventure in February and I can honestly say the mattresses were horrible. It was this cruise when I had requested toppers in advance through special needs and there was no record of this request onboard - there are no toppers anymore, just folded up duvets. The folded duvet was useless. Just sayin'.

I am bringing my own mattress pad on the Freedom in a few weeks. Taking no chances.

Hmmm...we were on Adventure in April, and thought the mattresses were traditionally firm but nice - everyone in our party of 6 in 3 cabins slept very well. No one had any interest in a topper.