Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

Which ships have these newer, harder, mattresses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can say for sure that the Indy, Liberty and Adventure have super hard mattresses. We shall see about Freedom in a few weeks [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agreed that Royal needs to seriously consider changing all of their mattresses. I have said this before, and will say it again (also because I am somewhat in the hospitality industry) that hotels know and fully understand the importance of a good night sleep to their guests. There are so many people complaining about back pain and hard as rock mattresses, you'd think RCI would take notice by now. If they can't (or won't) replace the mattresses, they need to figure out an interim solution like putting egg crate mattress toppers inside a sheet that can be laundered if they are worried that they are not hygienic.

I am on the Freedom next month and have purchased my own "mattress topper" thanks to the recommendation of another CC poster. I am bringing it with me as it will guarantee a great night's sleep and it only weighs a pound and rolls up super compact. If you want to take a closer look, here it is:

http://www.klymit.com/static-v2.html

I think you may have gotten the tip from me. It does really compact down to the size of a 16 ounce soda bottle. e8eba2eb727ab3fa49c799d5a20f727a.jpgI am so glad that I brought it. It made an enormous difference from my previous cruise on RCL's hard-as-a-rock mattresses. I bought mine on Amazon. I had it in 2 days with my Prime membership. I plan on using it again for my cruise in January.

Edited by khm1

I think you may have gotten the tip from me. It does really compact down to the size of a 16 ounce soda bottle. e8eba2eb727ab3fa49c799d5a20f727a.jpgI am so glad that I brought it. It made an enormous difference from my previous cruise on RCL's hard-as-a-rock mattresses. I bought mine on Amazon. I had it in 2 days with my Prime membership. I plan on using it again for my cruise in January.

Yes it was you!

Sending many thanks and I am looking forward to a great 8 nights of excellent sleep on the Freedom :):)

I ordered my XL size today. I've decided why take any chances with a perfect solution for a problem I have zero control over. Plus, it's reusable on future cruises!! Thanks, Robyn.

That's awesome! You're right, for a reasonable price you can guarantee yourself a great sleep with zero back issues [emoji106]

One man'shard mattress is another's "welcome support".

Fact is there are as many people who welcome a firm mattress as those who prefer something else.

My wife has never slept better than on RCI ships with their mattresses. In speaking with numerous orthopedic experts (we have 2 that are personal friends)....they'd tell you that a firm mattress is actually much better for most people in terms of their back support and comfort.

Obviously not everyone has that same perspective...which is just fine. We'll never request a topper.

I've been cruising on Royal since 2005 and I've always gotten a very good sleep on their mattresses...until Anthem. I like a firm mattress as well, but this bed was beyond firm. It was like sleeping on the floor. No give whatsoever, and the mattress was billed as a luxury pillowtop mattress.

I'm guessing that whoever purchased these mattresses did it via catalog description. Really does sound good, and the pictures someone posted look upscale, but the mattress is a dog.

I agree the last couple of beds have been way beyond firm. Please report back on the freedom beds we will be on board in December. :)

I think it's hard to guess what mattress you are going to get. They may be replacing mattresses on a rolling basis so one week someone may get the old, comfy mattress, and the next week, it has been replaced with the new extra extra extra firm one. I'd bring a pad if it's important to you, or request a topper in advance. The new beds are hard.

DW needs a softer mattress. We use a sleep number at home.

I used the online special needs request form for a mattress topper and received the auto reply email. I don't expect to hear from them for a few days, given the Florida hurricane.

Just so you are aware, there aren't any actual mattress toppers available on RC ships anymore, i.e. Egg crate, apparently for hygenic reasons.

What you may get, assuming the ship gets the memo from special needs, which from personal experience doesn't always happen, will be a folded up duvet.

Edited by ckrobyn

Just so you are aware, there aren't any actual mattress toppers available on RC ships anymore, i.e. Egg crate, apparently for hygenic reasons.

What you may get, assuming the ship gets the memo from special needs, which from personal experience doesn't always happen, will be a folded up duvet.

Thanks. It doesn't matter if it is comfortable.

I hope they are washing all the duvets they are using as mattress pads.

Thanks. It doesn't matter if it is comfortable.

That's my point. If you know what the duvets are like on Royal, you know they are not soft and fluffy, in fact they are sometimes heavy and most always dense. Folded over just adds more height to the mattress not softness.

One man'shard mattress is another's "welcome support".

Fact is there are as many people who welcome a firm mattress as those who prefer something else.

My wife has never slept better than on RCI ships with their mattresses. In speaking with numerous orthopedic experts (we have 2 that are personal friends)....they'd tell you that a firm mattress is actually much better for most people in terms of their back support and comfort.

Obviously not everyone has that same perspective...which is just fine. We'll never request a topper.

Whoever these "orthopedic experts" are they're obviously not talking about people with advanced arthritis like myself because sleeping on a firm mattress is pure misery for me & leaves me in pain for days after. Last year on Navigator I hardly slept even though the stateroom attendant folded up a comforter under the sheets for me. I'm hoping to have a better experience next cruise by contacting special needs

4a11f289e57e5ea871e6deac2241fe4c.jpg

This gives you an idea of the actual size [emoji4]

That is exactly the same one that I have. I put mine under the mattress pad. It stayed in place and I didn't need to re-inflate it for my entire 7 nights. It was very easy to deflate and re-pack in my carry on luggage on our last morning.

For those who plan on contacting the special needs department: At best, the cabin steward will put a couple of duvets under the bottom sheet. Our cabin attendant did this on my husband's side of the bed. I had the Static V inflatable pad, so I didn't need the extra duvets. The added duvets did very little to improve his comfort. He was miserable and sore all week.

We have a sleep number bed at home that we love. The sleep number bed is adjustable. The firmness starts at 100 (extremely firm) and goes down from there for a softer bed. For some perspective, DH sleeps at number 70, and I prefer 40. He likes a firm bed, but the new beds on RCL are just ridiculously hard.

If any of you fellow Cruise critic users really need a softer bed to be comfortable, consider taking your own comfort measures. I chose the pad mentioned above. There may be other, portable pads available similar to what ckrobyn and I have. It was the best one that I was able to find. I slept miserably on an Adventure cruise in January of this year. I bought this pad to take on my cruise this past July. It was certainly worth it for me.

I called to ask some questions regarding the toppers , was told they no longer have the egg crate toppers because of health regulations. Asked if I could bring a blow up type topper and she checked with resolution dept. and she said they told her it would probably be taken and returned at end of cruise. She then told me she put in a request for a topper ( which will probably be a comforter or blankets under the sheets). Lol! We are booked for Oasis in Nov. Thank goodness we were able to get the egg crate on the Freedom of Seas this past Sept. We love RCCL, the new mattress's not so much but will keep sailing with them ( 1 cruise away from diamond status.)

I ...Asked if I could bring a blow up type topper and she checked with resolution dept. and she said they told her it would probably be taken and returned at end of cruise...

I wonder why they would decide to take away something like this?!? I highly doubt they would pick up the rolled topper on a scan or go thru your luggage to find it. [emoji3].

We're leaving Oct 29th and will be ordering four of these before we leave! I figure we could just blow it up before bed and then deflate and throw it back in our bags in the morning. [emoji1360] I'm still chuckling at the thought of having my mattress topper removed - they definitely would hear from me at guest services! Lol.

Thank you to everyone for such great information!!! You saved our backs! [emoji869]

Forgot to say this in my post, we looked under the bed to make sure we hadn't kicked a shoe or something under there during our cruise and guess what was under the bed, yes, extra linens in a bag. Go figure. Maybe I will buy one of the toppers that have been mentioned in previous posts. If they take it, so be it.