Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

We just returned from a sailing on Aventure of the Seas. The mattress was so hard and uncomfortable. I asked the room steward for an egg crate and he said they don't have them anymore. He put an extra pad on the bed but it didn't help. Maybe by asking in advance they can do something. Adventure is in dry dock now. I hope they get new mattresses!

My experience on the AOS exactly. I did request a topper through special needs in advance, but that confirmed request never made it to the ship. The folded up blankets as a substitute for the egg crates are useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have received "confirmation" that a topper will be placed on my mattress on embarkation day which is in 53 more sleeps. This was the same story I got last February before my Adventure cruise and once onboard, no one knew anything about my request!! Needless to say I was pretty annoyed, and had a backache most of the week onboard, which as most people know is not how you want to feel on vacation. Thanks to a poster on here, I ordered and received today an incredible product pictured below 4856c21db507e7205921d1377d97f018.jpg

You should check it out on Amazon. It weighs just one pound and as you can see it rolls up very compact. I can't count on RCI and I can't risk another vacation with a sore back. This ergonomic mattress pad inflates easily (12 breaths) and can be easily packed in either a suitcase or carry on[emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who have not read through this entire thread: If you don't enjoy sleeping on a concrete mattress, consider purchasing the above. Ckrobyn got the tip from me. I took two cruises this year on Adventure. I slept so miserably on the first one, that I took matters into my own hands and brought the above product, purchased on Amazon, along on my second cruise. It made a world of difference. On my first cruise, our stateroom attendant put 2 extra duvets under the sheet, but it really didn't help much. This product made me sleep like a baby on my most recent cruise.

Here is the bottom line as I see it:

-Some of the ships have the hard mattresses, some the older, softer ones.

-Some ships have a mixture of both kinds.

-The NEW mattresses are the ones that are rock-hard.

-Some ships have foam toppers available, some do not. You will likely not find out until you board. Adventure does NOT have foam toppers.

-Sometimes online requests for toppers are honored, sometimes they are not.

-If you get only extra duvets under the sheets, some say they help. I found that it made very little difference.

-Comfort of mattresses is extremely subjective. However, there are certainly enough people on these boards complaining. Therefore, there is most certainly some truth to the issue.

I, for one, need my sleep. I will continue to cruise with my insurance policy: my Klymit camp pad.

Edited by khm1

khm1 - thank you for this info! I have to agree on all counts re: your bottom line comments. A couple of questions re: the Static V mattress: does it really roll up that small and it is easy to get it rolled back up? Also, do you place it under the fitted mattress sheet on the bed or do you place it on top? Thank you! (I'm the OP of this thread, and these contributions have been helpful for many! :))

khm1 - thank you for this info! I have to agree on all counts re: your bottom line comments. A couple of questions re: the Static V mattress: does it really roll up that small and it is easy to get it rolled back up? Also, do you place it under the fitted mattress sheet on the bed or do you place it on top? Thank you! (I'm the OP of this thread, and these contributions have been helpful for many! :))

OP, thanks for your kind words!

Yes, it really does roll up very small. I put it in my carry-on. It is very easy to blow-up and deflate. It rolls up easily to re-pack. I placed mine under the mattress pad. I didn't need to fool with it at all once it was in place. Read the Amazon reviews for even more info. It is meant to be a camping mattress. I repurposed it to use on a real bed.

OP, thanks for your kind words!

Yes, it really does roll up very small. I put it in my carry-on. It is very easy to blow-up and deflate. It rolls up easily to re-pack. I placed mine under the mattress pad. I didn't need to fool with it at all once it was in place. Read the Amazon reviews for even more info. It is meant to be a camping mattress. I repurposed it to use on a real bed.

I cannot thank you enough for the suggestion - I am not taking chances with the beds on ships ever again.

I'll come back after my cruise and let you know how my slumber was :p

I have also purchased this air mattress XL size. It's a pretty cheap ($95) insurance policy against a too firm mattress and no foam toppers, and it's reusable.

I have two confirming emails from special needs that a topper will be on my bed, but we'll see. I'd rather be in control of my sleep comfort than not....

So glad I found this thread. Just put in a request for a foam topper for my November 2016 sailing on Oasis. I was very concerned as I was on Brilliance and the bed was so hard I literally was crawling in the morning before my back would loosen up. Hoping that I get the foam topper. I did also request a fan and maybe someone knows whether that is something they will also supply or do I need to bring my own small fan?

My TA called RCCL for a topper request for the Liberty Of The Seas and I was given the same info about the toppers being removed from the ship and no longer available. We'll be getting our own to bring aboard. Thanks for the information!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We had an egg crate topper on Liberty last week. We may have just been lucky. Sure made the bed nice!

I did also request a fan and maybe someone knows whether that is something they will also supply or do I need to bring my own small fan?

I always bring my own small fan. It takes up very little room in my carry-on, and I sleep so much better. It's what I'm used to at home, so I can't be without it. I've even seen people bringing on the large box fans!

The Klymit V sleeping pads are on Amazon for $53.13, in case anyone is interested. I bought a couple for my husband and I. We'll have them with if we need them. If the mattress doesn't end up being that hard.... we'll have them for future use at home for guests, etc.!

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Green/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476817709&sr=8-2&keywords=static+v+sleeping+pad

The Klymit V sleeping pads are on Amazon for $53.13, in case anyone is interested. I bought a couple for my husband and I. We'll have them with if we need them. If the mattress doesn't end up being that hard.... we'll have them for future use at home for guests, etc.!

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Green/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476817709&sr=8-2&keywords=static+v+sleeping+pad

Ordered four of these a few hours ago for our Oct 29th Anthem cruise. We wouldn't be walking if we had to sleep on rock hard mattresses for 12 nights!! A little expensive for four but my back is worth it :).

Thank you to everyone who's commented on this thread!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Gabling

Not sure if it will work, but I'd try [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

I used this address for my cruise next June and got a reply after a few days saying it would be present when I arrive...so it seems to work on but probably will need to ask the attendant when I board or I will be very impressed if they actually remember it!

We are in a GS this time, with the pillow top do you feel the split between the two twin beds as a king?

From reading this thread, and others on the same topic, the consensus seems to be that the newer mattresses are just as hard among all cabin categories. The advertised pillow-top seems to be misleading. I think that they can put a duvet across the entire bed to make the split less apparent.

Following this conversation closely. We have air mattresses at home, I like maximum firm and he's a medium. The Adventure is getting refurbished 2 weeks before our cruise in November. Does anyone know if they will be replacing their mattresses?

Also I read someone got a memory foamed pillow upon request, is this isolated? I know hubby would be most happy if he could get one for him.

I was on the Adventure last year and it had the most rock hard mattresses I've ever experienced. We were pretty miserable. It's what made me check out all the mattress threads for BYO ideas.

They told us last year that there were no foam toppers. They gave us folded up mattress pads and duvets but it did little good.

I was on the Adventure last year and it had the most rock hard mattresses I've ever experienced. We were pretty miserable. It's what made me check out all the mattress threads for BYO ideas.

They told us last year that there were no foam toppers. They gave us folded up mattress pads and duvets but it did little good.

Weirdest thing, guess it depends on the person. We thought our bed the last 2 years on Adventure were super comfy!!!! But I like a harder mattress, don't want to feel I am going into an abyss to sleep.

This thread is just kind of sad. I realize that you can't please everyone but the mattresses should not be so bad you can't sleep.

We were on the Liberty in May and had a foam topper on the bed they provided and it was great. We sail again on her in less then 2 weeks and I'm getting kind of worried. I don't want to be miserable but if I suggest to the DH we take a topper he will laugh. Really, we now have to resort to taking our own bed. Come on RCL what were you thinking putting hard as a rock mattresses on your ships!

Guess we will gamble on it but if it's rock hard my poor steward is going to have to do something. Catching up on good sleep is part of our vacation.

This thread is just kind of sad. I realize that you can't please everyone but the mattresses should not be so bad you can't sleep.

We were on the Liberty in May and had a foam topper on the bed they provided and it was great. We sail again on her in less then 2 weeks and I'm getting kind of worried. I don't want to be miserable but if I suggest to the DH we take a topper he will laugh. Really, we now have to resort to taking our own bed. Come on RCL what were you thinking putting hard as a rock mattresses on your ships!

Guess we will gamble on it but if it's rock hard my poor steward is going to have to do something. Catching up on good sleep is part of our vacation.

We just got off Liberty on Sunday. Requested and received a foam mattress topper. On the bed when we arrived. Helped a lot. Sharps container was not there but our cabin steward addressed that quickly. And no real fridge for the insulin. Had to refill the ice bucket constantly. So special needs got one out of three correct.:)

I can't see them confiscating mattress toppers. What would be the reason?

I seriously doubt they would take it away. My stepmother actually brings a twin side air mattress with her every time. The only problem she has had on the Serenade a couple years ago, the room steward had her supervisor come in the cabin to see if it was allowed. They said it was ok as long they could keep it from sliding off the regular mattress if the seas got rocky. So she pushed her bed against the wall and they were happy. Her's get thru checked baggage every time with no problem. I know it's a little much, but hey it's not in my luggage and this way she is not complaining about the beds being hard.

So I would think the one that is being discussed here would be perfectly fine considering how thin it is.

I also want to add that I requested an egg crate on my last cruise on Brilliance and they said they did not have any, after it was suppose to be noted on the reservation. They added comforters instead.

Edited by SAS21

Weirdest thing, guess it depends on the person. We thought our bed the last 2 years on Adventure were super comfy!!!! But I like a harder mattress, don't want to feel I am going into an abyss to sleep.

Agree, cant please everyone. Some like soft some firm. I like them firm, 100 nights on Royals ships in last 3 yrs and never had issue sleeping.

So for those who brought your own, did your cabin steward take care of putting it on your bed or did you end up doing it? I would want to tell them I brought it so they didn't wonder what it was or where it came from. (Unless it's somewhat common for them to see LOL)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Liberty last week in a lowly interior on the 10th deck (1659). We had some sort of topper on the mattress that was already on there and I slept great (well, my DW said that I was snoring BEFORE my head hit the pillow.) I can't stand a hard bed and I thought the mattress was fine. Have a great cruise - say hello to Allon and Valentina in the Schooner Bar - they'll take great care of you!