Mattress topper request?

LHARTWICK

I too have received the exact same response on two occasions from special needs. Here is what I was told. There are no more "foam" or "egg crate" mattress toppers on the ships - they were removed for hygienic reasons and are not being replaced. Those who have reported having them on their beds should consider themselves lucky as they are probably gone by now. Unfortunately I found out the hard way (pardon the pun!) that the egg crates were gone, because I was promised one "on embarkation day" on my February AOS cruise and of course it was nowhere to be seen. The special needs agent told me that the cabin attendant's have been told to use folded up comforters (same as what you have ON your bed, UNDER the bottom sheet to add more padding. This is what was done on my AOS cruise and I can assure you it did absolutely nothing to soften the mattress. If you have made a recent request through special needs, you should be aware of what you will get and not believe you will have an egg crate topper, or you will be in for a sad surprise once onboard.

I was actually relieved that I finally got a straight answer from special needs s that I could make alternate arrangements for myself. I posted the picture of the mattress pad I am taking with me on my November Freedom cruise. At least this way I am assured that it will 1. Be there and 2. Be very comfortable. I am just not willing to take my chances and wind up with a back ache every day.

I was also told on the Grandeur that they no longer have mattress toppers for hygienic reasons. I can understand why. On the day you leave, the cabin steward tosses them out in the hall and they get stepped on etc. I am sure that all the ships will no longer have them. The message here is bring your own!

I was also told on the Grandeur that they no longer have mattress toppers for hygienic reasons. I can understand why. On the day you leave, the cabin steward tosses them out in the hall and they get stepped on etc. I am sure that all the ships will no longer have them. The message here is bring your own!

CKRobyn also reported that she also had a foam topper on FOS this week.

I requested a topper for our Dec. Oasis cruise and received an email from RCCL a few days later stating they would forward request to ship. I printed a copy to take with me in the event it is not provided as promised.

I had hip replacement surgery and spine surgery last year so really do need a topper.

I had to ask for another topper in addition to whatever they put on our bed on our Anthem sailing. Plus we were in a junior suite so supposedly had the more plus mattress! It was still rock hard and my kids beds felt hard as well. Luckily they didn't complain but no lie I slept on pillows a few nights. Hoping Harmony's beds are better. This is the first time I have been uncomfortable on a RCL ship. I really wish they hadn't messed with what was not broken!

I requested a topper for our Dec. Oasis cruise and received an email from RCCL a few days later stating they would forward request to ship. I printed a copy to take with me in the event it is not provided as promised.

I had hip replacement surgery and spine surgery last year so really do need a topper.

If it's that important to you, I would seriously consider purchasing one of the air mattresses people have been purchasing. Leave it in the original packaging in case you don't need it, in which case you can return it when you get home. Better than potentially being miserable throughout your cruise.

I emailed & requested a topper for my recent Majesty cruise...received a reply that there would be one on the bed for me...there wasn't...Cabin Steward put some pads on the bed to try & soften it, but it didn't help much...I had a SOV on deck 9 & the bed was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood...

On the PLUS side...my waiter offered Fresh Ground Pepper every night...:D

Edited by kc320

• 3 months later...

This is too funny. Yes they have toppers, no they don't have toppers, the official word from Royal Caribbean is they had to throw them out due to cleaning issues, a special request from our travel agent, Royal's response that they don't have them and we board the Liberty two weeks ago to find a topper on our bed. Priceless.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We used the e-mail to request a topper on Serenade (January 2017). Upon arrival, they had placed a comforter as the "topper." Our cabin attendant added a second one for additional padding. The bed still felt like we were sleeping on a board, but in spite of that we slept well and had no back troubles!

I emailed them a couple of days ago for a topper on my upcoming Freedom cruise. Sulay, access advocate sent me the following: "Thank you for contacting the Access Department. All beds in our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons."

I guess we shall wait and see and hope for the best. Or maybe buy a cheap topper at Walmart.

Cindy

We used the e-mail to request a topper on Serenade (January 2017). Upon arrival, they had placed a comforter as the "topper." Our cabin attendant added a second one for additional padding. The bed still felt like we were sleeping on a board, but in spite of that we slept well and had no back troubles!

You think they were hard, Serenade just replaced mattresses month b4 your cruise, these are the softer ones! But it's tough trying please everyone. I prefer firmer beds, these beds are not soft. But I could actually sleep on the floor & would prefer it over a soft bed...

I emailed them a couple of days ago for a topper on my upcoming Freedom cruise. Sulay, access advocate sent me the following: "Thank you for contacting the Access Department. All beds in our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons."

I guess we shall wait and see and hope for the best. Or maybe buy a cheap topper at Walmart.

Cindy

We got the same reply as did our travel agent but we had an egg crate style 2" memory foam topper in place for a Feb 19th cruise on the LOS. I think it's a hit or miss sort of luck out thing. The boards here and elsewhere are packed with contrary posts. I have a medical need for the topper so we purchased the camping air mattress pads but promptly forgot them at home. Lucked out in the end.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I got the same message that they no longer have egg crates. So, I bought one from Amazon for my wife https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXWTQ3L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are going to keep it in is original packaging and slap a luggage tag on it see what happens. I don't mind the beds but, my is not a fan and so we thought we would try our own egg create. I will let you know how it works out when we return. We are sailing on SOS April 7th.

Leo

I got a similar response from my recent request. It said that all beds have double toppers but that they would add a third one