Canberra International Airport

It's finally a reality with the first flight into Canberra direct from Singapore earlier today. It'll certainly open up more options for cruise passengers flying in to start a cruise in Sydney or any other port. What experiences or places would you suggest to future international travellers?

It's finally a reality with the first flight into Canberra direct from Singapore earlier today. It'll certainly open up more options for cruise passengers flying in to start a cruise in Sydney or any other port. What experiences or places would you suggest to future international travellers?

Great stuff, I was aware of it about to happen and was at the airport last Friday, enroute from Melbourne/Hobart. Saw the ads for the air route. Singapore A/L is doing a thrice weekly service, Wellington - Canberra - Singapore and vice versa using Boeing 777- 200 aircraft. I would consider that flight option to Asia/Europe, as only 1.45 hours drive from here to Canberra A/P. Beats 4.5 hrs to Sydney A/P. As long as Singapore A/L prices on that route are competitive.

Singapore being a 'gateway airport', lots of flights on from there, east and west.

Canberra A/P is easy to get in and out of and has Vibe hotel on site, stayed there pre morning flight to Hobart, very comfortable too.

Edited by NSWP

Great stuff, I was aware of it about to happen and was at the airport last Friday, enroute from Melbourne/Hobart. Saw the ads for the air route. Singapore A/L is doing a thrice weekly service, Wellington - Canberra - Singapore and vice versa using Boeing 777- 200 aircraft. I would consider that flight option to Asia/Europe, as only 1.45 hours drive from here to Canberra A/P. Beats 4.5 hrs to Sydney A/P. As long as Singapore A/L prices on that route are competitive.

Singapore being a 'gateway airport', lots of flights on from there, east and west.

Canberra A/P is easy to get in and out of and has Vibe hotel on site, stayed there pre morning flight to Hobart, very comfortable too.

Yes, a very easy drive down the Clyde Mountain to the beautiful south coast beaches and headlands. An international traveller could easily hire a car and drive up the coast to Sydney or down and around to Melbourne maybe with a detour to the Snowy Mts for alpine hiking or skiing in season. Going to Sydney there's the option of the Southern Highlands too.

Too often on here we send everyone to the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley. It's time to show folk what else we have on offer :)

Seems long overdue.

Will make for a much shorted trip to Europe for those of us living i n Canberra. Just a pity that we saw some bargain price Etihad fares to Europe and booked them for next year.

Changi airport is supposed to be one of the best for overnight stopovers. I haven't been through Changi, but if Singapore is anything to go by, I expect it to be fabulous.

It is a good thing for Canberra and to some extent Sydney.

BTW, Canberra has been an international airport for a long, long, time, it is just it hasn't really had any international airlines based for regular flights for any length of time. In the past, it has had Fiji Airlines here for a number of flights but that didn't last and of course we have had Airforce One and lots other diplomatic and military Aircraft making trips.

Will make for a much shorted trip to Europe for those of us living i n Canberra. Just a pity that we saw some bargain price Etihad fares to Europe and booked them for next year.

Changi airport is supposed to be one of the best for overnight stopovers. I haven't been through Changi, but if Singapore is anything to go by, I expect it to be fabulous.

As far as airports go, Changi is pretty amazing. My family spent about 10hrs there a couple of years ago as the plane was flying out at stupid oclock, and there is heaps to do and see. It's enormous.

Theoretically ,it should be cheaper to fly out of Canberra, rather than paying the high landing fees at Sydney .

If that was the case you would think domestic air travel would be the same.

It isn't, generally up to twice the price to fly from Canberra to Sydney or Melbourne than what it is if flying from Sydney to Melbourne or reverse. Supply and demand and also a captured market. Hopefully International flights will be different and will be cheaper.

As far as airports go, Changi is pretty amazing. My family spent about 10hrs there a couple of years ago as the plane was flying out at stupid oclock, and there is heaps to do and see. It's enormous.

Including 'free massage chairs and ponds full of those giant goldfish.

I was at HK Airport last year, excellent also and the Cathay Pacific business class lounge was like a giant chinese restaurant up stairs, all the good chow tucker, yum, yes yum cha too.

Edited by NSWP