Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

Guests on the revised October 9 sailing of the Disney Fantasy are asked to postpone their arrival to the terminal building by at least two (2) hour after their originally selected port arrival time, but no later than 4:00 p.m. to ensure a prompt departure.

ex techie

I'm not sure but it looks like twin size mattresses under that wooden structure on the left hand side of the picture. Maybe they planned to sleep under that for added protection?

I did not notice them last night, but it does look that way.

Given there was a threat of a storm surge, unless the bunker could be sealed 100% water tight then that would not have worked too well!

Also if there was a danger of the roof and ceiling collapsing on them, that structure would not have helped them too much. They would need something metal I would have thought.

ex techie

Hey there Buddy' date='

I can see at least 5 mattresses and some pillows under the tables.

As you pointed out we don't know if these are real and we don't know WHEN it was taken.

AKK[/quote']

Yes, I did not notice them last night. As I said in the post above this one, unless the bunker can be sealed to be 100% water tight, with a storm surge that isn't going to end well!

I think it was a genuine post, but the original pictures appear to have been removed now.

ex techie

Yes, I did not notice them last night. As I said in the post above this one, unless the bunker can be sealed to be 100% water tight, with a storm surge that isn't going to end well!

I think it was a genuine post, but the original pictures appear to have been removed now.

ex techie

I figured it was something like that. I could see them until I had the photo up on the computer.

AKK

On a different forum we have some info about Castaway...

1) The shelters are built to withstand a cat 5 storm - and winds higher than the "minimum" cat 5 winds at that. Per the captain on the Dream.

2) All the crew that remained are fine. The storm was not as bad as expected and they were allowed to return to their regular rooms before they had initially been told. Communication is still down, but they were all allowed to call home using the satellite phone.

3) The island suffered minimal damage and the crew is now at work unpacking everything that was packed away and getting the island set up for the next cruise.

We're in our hotel at Port Canaveral! It was really weird seeing the Dream docked at 11pm and all lit up. Maybe I can go beg to be let on now!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

We were on the Hotel Disney Dream on Saturday and it felt like we and a 1000 other guests (not certain the actual total) had rented it out for a private party. Entertainment, Dinner, Pools, Oceaneer Club/Lab, etc. all running and with very few people in any one place.

However, we were fortunate to miss the hurricane completely due to the revised itinerary and we felt for those who were supposed to be on the 10/7 cruise that was canceled. Even more so, we were very saddened to hear of the devastation left in Matthew's path (particularly in Haiti).

We were on the Hotel Disney Dream on Saturday and it felt like we and a 1000 other guests (not certain the actual total) had rented it out for a private party. Entertainment, Dinner, Pools, Oceaneer Club/Lab, etc. all running and with very few people in any one place.

However, we were fortunate to miss the hurricane completely due to the revised itinerary and we felt for those who were supposed to be on the 10/7 cruise that was canceled. Even more so, we were very saddened to hear of the devastation left in Matthew's path (particularly in Haiti).

I echo you sentiments and have edited my signature!

OK' date=' I want to know how to be on the lengthened cruises rather than the shortened ones. I've had 2 cruises shortened due to weather issues, never got one of those longer ones.

Just kidding, of course.[/quote']

We were on the extended Fantasy cruise and talked to somebody who I think had the best of both worlds. He had booked the Oct. 1-8 and Oct. 8-15 cruises back-to-back, so still wound up cruising the same dates but received a pro-rated refund for the lost day of the second cruise even though we was on board the ship that day! Reportedly the Oct. 8-15 cruisers also got some OBC and a 20% discount on a future cruise too, but I haven't seen that confirmed 100%.

We were on the extended Fantasy cruise and talked to somebody who I think had the best of both worlds. He had booked the Oct. 1-8 and Oct. 8-15 cruises back-to-back, so still wound up cruising the same dates but received a pro-rated refund for the lost day of the second cruise even though we was on board the ship that day! Reportedly the Oct. 8-15 cruisers also got some OBC and a 20% discount on a future cruise too, but I haven't seen that confirmed 100%.

The ones that kept the 10/8-15 cruise received a pro-rated refund of 1 day's voyage fare only and they rec'd an OBC - not sure if the OBC was a set amount per person or per stateroom. The ones that canceled the cruise received a refund and were the only ones to receive the 20% future cruise credit that has to be booked by a certain date and the cruise has to commence by the end of 2017.

We went to Castaway Cay today on the Dream. Pretty sure we were the first back there. We actually had our sea day switched with our Castaway day "so we could get a sunny day instead of rain" but several crew said it was so they could clean up after the hurricane.

Today, one of the Castaway Cay workers said the island did very well with only the landscaping being a big deal. He said every worker on the island had been tasked with putting the place back to new with "many sleepless nights". He said they didn't get finished until this morning.

Island looked pretty good. Only saw some blank areas in the tree lines and some broken trees. Nothing big. Biggest thing I noticed was it seems the beach may have partially washed out and had to be refilled as there was a much steeper rise up to the area with chairs and the sand in the rise was much softer (as if it had just been dumped in and hastily graded.

It was actually our best trip to Castaway Cay so far (8th time). Weather and water temperature were perfect.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

We went to Castaway Cay today on the Dream. Pretty sure we were the first back there. We actually had our sea day switched with our Castaway day "so we could get a sunny day instead of rain" but several crew said it was so they could clean up after the hurricane.

Today, one of the Castaway Cay workers said the island did very well with only the landscaping being a big deal. He said every worker on the island had been tasked with putting the place back to new with "many sleepless nights". He said they didn't get finished until this morning.

Island looked pretty good. Only saw some blank areas in the tree lines and some broken trees. Nothing big. Biggest thing I noticed was it seems the beach may have partially washed out and had to be refilled as there was a much steeper rise up to the area with chairs and the sand in the rise was much softer (as if it had just been dumped in and hastily graded.

It was actually our best trip to Castaway Cay so far (8th time). Weather and water temperature were perfect.

Thanks for the update.

Yes you were the first ship back there. The Fantasy is there today.