Hurricane Matthew Thread

2thesea

How can they just close the call center?! Shouldn't there be a call center located outside of hurricane zones?! I have a friend booked on the October 10 Dream sailing. She is in Ohio. Spirit canceled their flights, so they are leaving tonight and driving all the way down to Florida. If Disney ends up canceling the Dream on the 10th, she is going to be very upset that she drove 22 hours down, and has to drive 22 hours back! They really need to decide ASAP! If airlines are canceling, I would think they have to cancel too!

Yep, they need to roll over to the Disney Land call center.

How can they just close the call center?! Shouldn't there be a call center located outside of hurricane zones?! I have a friend booked on the October 10 Dream sailing. She is in Ohio. Spirit canceled their flights, so they are leaving tonight and driving all the way down to Florida. If Disney ends up canceling the Dream on the 10th, she is going to be very upset that she drove 22 hours down, and has to drive 22 hours back! They really need to decide ASAP! If airlines are canceling, I would think they have to cancel too!

I'm on the Magic now, heading back to New York. I feel for all of you about to board with changed cruises.

I talked to some staff today and they gave us some perspective. Port canaveral has never in recorded history been hit by a major (cat 3 or greater) hurricane. That's part of why the KSC is up there, it's far enough north that most storms curve out to sea or get smushed against the mainland from the gulf before they get here. The situation is somewhat unique because of this.

As well, as Jeff Masters, 35 year hurricane veteran on WU said, the path change of this storm is one of the most surprising changes that he can remember. And it basically happened over a 24 hour period. No one predicted this path.

I can understand Disney waiting until the last possible moment to reschedule/cancel. For one, no one is sure Matthew is actually going to turn, it's just the likely scenario. Secondly, if I were a passenger with limited travel options, cancelling is probably the worst option, so I can understand them only wanting to take that step at the last minute. Our table mates flew in from Shanghai(!!) to make this cruise, I wish I had the option to drive in instead of dealing with air travel on top of everything!

There are a lot of pieces that need to be in place for a cruise besides DCL. suppliers, roads, airports, the port, etc., and as much as we'd like to believe Disney can exert absolute control over all of these, some of these variables are in flux even now, and I'm sure they are causing DCL to react accordingly.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hopefully she can wait until the call center opens back up on Saturday before leaving.

Because the people that work in the call center need to evacuate! No company should put its employees lives at risk so they can sit there and take phone calls from people that are upset about a natural disaster!

WHY ON EARTH?! would anyone want to drive to FLORIDA right now! When everyone else is trying to get out? Some things are more important than a vacation.

Just to be picky (and clear)' date=' the parks and Disney Springs are closing. The hotels are among the safest places to be in a hurricane, and they will be "open" to booked guests although you may not be able to leave your room if you are not in a central/main building.

When we were there during a hurricane, they also moved a large number of CMs and in some cases their families into the All Star resorts. Concern for their safety was the official reason, but it also provided WDW with a crew on site to get to work as soon as it was safe (no problem with trees across roads, etc.) It was quite impressive to see how quickly the area around our hotel was cleaned up.

We heard about huge events in the lobby for those guests in hotels that didn't require a trek outside to get to the lobby--they sold grilled hot dogs for 25cents each, etc. and made a big party of it. Those of us who couldn't leave our rooms had non-stop movies on all the resort channels (they took off all the advertisement channels and ran films.) Can't say it was fun, but we were safe.[/quote']

we were in the all star music during a hurricane and it's built rock solid..

the parks were closed but the resort was running, in the sense that they kept us updated all through the storm..

we felt very very safe..

Because the people that work in the call center need to evacuate! No company should put its employees lives at risk so they can sit there and take phone calls from people that are upset about a natural disaster!

WHY ON EARTH?! would anyone want to drive to FLORIDA right now! When everyone else is trying to get out? Some things are more important than a vacation.

Celebration is not under an evacuation order right now. It wouldn't surprise me if DCL were moving their people to safe housing though as they do with some WDW employees.

I just heard the best reason for people to NOT come to Florida and to follow the advice of the authorities. The speaker made the point that they can't force people to follow the "orders," but remember that if you get into trouble and make a distress call, the appropriate people will try to respond. He asked that people please not do something that could endanger a first responder or someone else who has to attempt to help the individual.

And the film from Miami didn't look good. Not awful yet, but it is starting.

Disney and DCL have their priorities in the right order--first, keep the people safe. Second, keep the ships safe. Only then can they be concerned with vacations OR making money!

Edited by moki'smommy

Wow! They are going TO Florida as the governor is ordering people to evacuate. I wouldn't go anywhere near the ocean. We weathered out one hurricane at a WDW resort--no fun' date=' but we were told they are among the safest structures in the area because under all the "frou-frou," they are built of concrete blocks.[/quote']

Most buildings built after Andrew in Florida are block or poured concrete construction due to the codes. The problem is that it only require block on the first floor, many two story homes (not commercial) are wood on the second story. :(

The Disney resorts are pretty much all block or precast concrete. Very safe.

If she had insurance, she could cancel the trip and get a refund. She is flat out foolish to make that drive. There will not likely be hotel rooms within 10 hours of the port.

By the way, the company I work for has offices around the US--three of them are closed today. Orlando for obvious reasons, another location due to a water main break, and a third due to an an elderly person driving their car over a curb, through the lobby, through some shrubs, and into the parking lot--of the building behind them. **It happens.

Winds at 9 am EDT at the Nassau airport on New Providence were 58 mph, gusting to 85 mph. The airport stopped transmitting data after that, as did the four PWS’s on the island. It is likely that the island experienced a ten-foot storm surge on the south shore.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/once-again-a-cat-4-storm-potentially-disastrous-matthew-rolls-toward-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FL Space Coast (including Melbourne and the Kennedy Space Center)

This is the most likely area to experience the highest winds from Matthew (see Figure 3 above) with Daytona Beach at high risk. The wind threat is especially serious at Cape Canaveral, which juts out into the Atlantic about 10-15 miles. If Matthew does make landfall along the Florida coast, this would be the most likely spot for it. Billions of dollars of facilities and equipment are at risk at Kennedy Space Center and nearby bases, which have never before experienced a major hurricane. Some of KSC’s older facilities were designed only to withstand Category 2 or 3 winds, while facilities built after Hurricane Andrew (1992) are designed to withstand Category 4 or 5 storms. Storm surge could reach 7 to 11 feet over the barrier islands of Volusia and Brevard counties. Matthew is likely to traverse the Space Coast during the overnight hours Thursday. (Ironically, the GOES-R satellite—originally scheduled to be airborne by now, where it would be gathering data on Matthew—is instead at the space center, awaiting its rescheduled launch in November.)

An update to the already updated update: (in bold)

Disney Fantasy – UPDATED!

The October 8 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is being altered to a 6-night western Caribbean cruise departing on Sunday, October 9, from Port Canaveral. This sailing will include stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay. Guests who remain on the revised itinerary will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one-night of their cruise fare and an onboard credit. Guests who would like to rebook a future sailing at a discount OR cancel their sailing for a full refund are invited to call us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 on Saturday, October 8.

The October 1 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is being extended by one day given the uncertainty around the impact Hurricane Matthew will have on Port Canaveral. We are planning to disembark in Port Canaveral on Sunday, October 9. We are working with the guests onboard to assist them with their travel arrangements.

ex techie

I wonder how long before they update and admit the Dream will not dock on Saturday as planned?

ex techie

The Captain did.

From the other forum, from a pax aboard the Dream.

" ... the captain just announced that due to issues with transportation/roads/hotels we are welcome to remain on board on Saturday night. This will be in port canaveral, or at sea on our way to an alternate port (debarking Sunday and transported to canaveral) ..."

The Captain did.

From the other forum, from a pax aboard the Dream.

" ... the captain just announced that due to issues with transportation/roads/hotels we are welcome to remain on board on Saturday night. This will be in port canaveral, or at sea on our way to an alternate port (debarking Sunday and transported to canaveral) ..."

Well, no offense, but someone posting on the DIS that they heard something from the Captain or crew is not official.

As of right now, the advisory on the DCL site is:

Disney Dream

The October 3 sailing of the Disney Dream is being extended by one day, as Port Canaveral will not be available for the ship’s scheduled arrival on Friday, October 7. We are now planning to disembark in Port Canaveral on Saturday, October 8, once the Coast Guard has determined that the port is safe for cruise ship operations. We are working with the guests onboard to assist them with their travel arrangements.

ex techie

edit to add, I like how it is your welcome to stay overnight, and then mention that "this will be in PC, or at sea to an alternative port". So if it doesn't dock at PC, you have no choice or ability to make arrangements to get home.

Edited by Ex techie
to add

.... is not official...

I didn't say it was official.

But your welcome for the confirmation from the Dream captain of your suspicion of an unlikely Saturday PC docking. :rolleyes:

Also the Fantasy needs to berth too. Both on Saturday, officially.

ETA; We all saw that first initial official weather advisory. Which obviously was going to change.

Edited by bear3412

I didn't say it was official.

But your welcome for the confirmation from the Dream captain of your suspicion of an unlikely Saturday PC docking. :rolleyes:

Also the Fantasy needs to berth too. Both on Saturday, officially.

ETA; We all saw that first initial official weather advisory. Which obviously was going to change.

Officially the Fantasy will berth on Sunday now. DCL updated the advisory.

Just not for the Dream.

ex techie

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:25/centery:37/zoom:9

Lists the Fantasy going to USPCV, port Canaveral, arriving 10/8 at 8:45

The Dream has "Florida Cays" 10/8 at 0:00

Someone messed up entering the info because Florida Cays is not an offical port.

But, the ais system will tell us where the ship is at and where is should be going.

Maybe it is referring to Florida keys, which would be key West. She can technically dock there but would need tugs to assist.

You thought the bus ride to port Everglades was long.

Edited by ArthurUSCG

So I was booked to cruise on the Magic tomorrow to Bahamas, Port Canaveral and Castaway Cay. At 5:00 pm yesterday I got an email changing the itinerary to Halifax, Sydney and St. John. I thought about it and did some research and nothing interested me. I have a special needs daughter and we were looking forward to getting our Disneyworld fix, albeit only one day.

I ended up calling my TA and she stood on the phone for 2 hours until she got through and I was able to get one of the last cabins left on the Oct. 15th cruise to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral. I'm fine with it.. however, I got upgraded to a verandah and also got $1,000 back. My situation was a win/win for me.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:25/centery:37/zoom:9

Lists the Fantasy going to USPCV, port Canaveral, arriving 10/8 at 8:45

The Dream has "Florida Cays" 10/8 at 0:00

Someone messed up entering the info because Florida Cays is not an offical port.

But, the ais system will tell us where the ship is at and where is should be going.

Maybe it is referring to Florida keys, which would be key West. She can technically dock there but would need tugs to assist.

You thought the bus ride to port Everglades was long.

Good find Arthur!

ex techie

So I was booked to cruise on the Magic tomorrow to Bahamas, Port Canaveral and Castaway Cay. At 5:00 pm yesterday I got an email changing the itinerary to Halifax, Sydney and St. John. I thought about it and did some research and nothing interested me. I have a special needs daughter and we were looking forward to getting our Disneyworld fix, albeit only one day.

I ended up calling my TA and she stood on the phone for 2 hours until she got through and I was able to get one of the last cabins left on the Oct. 15th cruise to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral. I'm fine with it.. however, I got upgraded to a verandah and also got $1,000 back. My situation was a win/win for me.

I'm really pleased for you that you were able to change your cruise!

No wishing to dampen your spirits, but I would make sure you are both very well prepared to miss Castaway Cay.

DCL are still saying they are going there, however they do not know the extent of the damage the island may have sustained, and wrongly IMO, are keeping up a false pretence that everything will be fine by then. They really should be saying subject to inspection after the hurricane has passed.

I hope you do get to visit CC though, and have an amazing cruise whatever happens.

ex techie

Glad that it worked out for you! Have fun.