NCL Gem from NY - Questions

LorrieC

We're looking at an 11 day cruise from New York April 18th and have a few questions. Is it correct that the ship sails from the New York Port Authority? We'll be flying from Toronto. Which airport would be best to fly into and what would be the cost of a taxi to the cruise terminal? Are there any other suggestions on transport to cruise terminal keeping in mind that we're a couple of Canadian country bumpkins! Never cruised from New York before and any feedback on this cruise and ship would be very much appreciated.

NCL utilizes the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in NYC.

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/

Also, check out the East Coast ports of call forum. Lots of great info like what you are looking for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Edited by ColinIllinois

It's called the Manhattan cruise terminal but I assume it's run by the port authority. It's on 12th avenue and 48th street plus a few streets north. You can't miss it as the ship is right there.

Fly into whatever airport is most convenient time/price etc wise and just book a private driver to meet you

If you are staying in NYC the night before Times Square is a perfect location and then just a quick taxi to port.

If you travel light and want to walk that is doable too from Times Square.

If you fly into Newark by no means take a regular taxi it will cost a fortune. Get a prearranged ride

If you fly into JFK or LGA I believe it's a set price for a taxi or you can get a private driver to meet you at a reasonable rate

If you are flying in same day do not cut it too close and it's wiser to arrive the day before

Others will now chime in with the names of the popular private rides

Carmel. Or 777 or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

For the Manhattan Cruise terminal, it probably doesn't matter much which NY airport you fly into, as none of them is especially convenient.

The issue I see you having is that your trip leaves on a weekday. No matter which airport you are coming from, if you are heading into the city after about 7am and before about 10am, traffic will probably be bad. You have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get into Manhattan. On weekdays, you need to add anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes just for the bridge/tunnel itself. Since any of the area airports is a 30 - 45 minute ride outside of rush hour, you're probably looking at somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to get to the cruise terminal from the airport. A metered taxi far would likely be extremely expensive, so pre-arranging for a car is a good idea.

Traveling the day of is certainly doable if it can't be avoided -- you just need to build the time into your plans. However, I'd seriously consider luvtheships advice to travel the day before. If there were ever a time to splurge to stay somewhere in Manhattan the night before, this would be the time. It will save you a lot of hassle to not have to try to cross into Manhattan during morning rush hour.

Have fun!

LGA is a metered fare to Manhattan. JFK is flat fee of $52 plus about 80 cents in surcharges and a rush hour charge of $4.50 between 4-6PM if applicable. Tolls are $5.85 on bridges and tunnels as taxis must use E-Z pass. LGA has a tremendous amount of construction at the present and will probably still be affected in Apr and it would probably mean using the RFK bridge = a toll and construction. JFK would probably mean Midtown tunnel = a toll and midtown traffic going crosstown. Also check with car service about waiting/delay fees which some impose

(A fellow Ontario resident) From Belleville, you may actually consider driving to NYC instead of the drive to Toronto then flights. Leave the day before, stay outside of NYC for the night, then drive in and park at the cruise terminal. If you have the time, you will probably find that it costs less $ than parking in Toronto + flights (for 2) + taxi/driver to/from a NYC airport.

Just for the record, the Port Authority of NY and NJ does not own or operate the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The terminal was developed for the city by the New York City Economic Development Corporation and is operated under contract by Ports America, a stevedore and terminal operator.

I agree with those who have recommended flying or driving in at least one day before the cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

We're looking at an 11 day cruise from New York April 18th and have a few questions. Is it correct that the ship sails from the New York Port Authority? We'll be flying from Toronto. Which airport would be best to fly into and what would be the cost of a taxi to the cruise terminal? Are there any other suggestions on transport to cruise terminal keeping in mind that we're a couple of Canadian country bumpkins! Never cruised from New York before and any feedback on this cruise and ship would be very much appreciated.

Btw that week right after Easter is still spring break for many many schools in the tri state area

Private(which do whatever they want for convenience)/parochial(which usually take the week after easter off) /some public (not NYC though) etc take that week while others take the previous week or sometimes both weeks

I believe Connecticut schools take the week with patriots day off which is around April 18

Just sayin in case you thought you dodged a bullet you actually might not have as the ship will not only sail full like they always do but actually sail over 100% of capacity as each and every berth is likely to be filled in every cabin

However it being an 11 day cruise kids on it will more than likely miss too many days of school as it goes into another week when school is back in session so you might actually be ok

I wouldn't be too concerned but just a heads up in case

Edited by luvtheships

Btw that is NYC public schools spring break week

In 2017 Passover and easter coincide thus giving the week after Easter off versus the week before as in some years has been the case

So in other words be prepared to have many kids on the ship with you.

• 2 weeks later...
(A fellow Ontario resident) From Belleville, you may actually consider driving to NYC instead of the drive to Toronto then flights. Leave the day before, stay outside of NYC for the night, then drive in and park at the cruise terminal. If you have the time, you will probably find that it costs less $ than parking in Toronto + flights (for 2) + taxi/driver to/from a NYC airport.

We're from Ottawa and do the same thing. Although pier parking is "expensive" that plus a hotel about an hour from Manhattan will be less then the cost of one airfare.

Btw that week right after Easter is still spring break for many many schools in the tri state area

Private(which do whatever they want for convenience)/parochial(which usually take the week after easter off) /some public (not NYC though) etc take that week while others take the previous week or sometimes both weeks

I believe Connecticut schools take the week with patriots day off which is around April 18

Just sayin in case you thought you dodged a bullet you actually might not have as the ship will not only sail full like they always do but actually sail over 100% of capacity as each and every berth is likely to be filled in every cabin

However it being an 11 day cruise kids on it will more than likely miss too many days of school as it goes into another week when school is back in session so you might actually be ok

NYC public schools are out through the 18th for Spring Break - so for that 4/8 10-night cruise there is no having to miss school for NYC public school kids.

Or teachers. I was looking at that cruise but booked the Breakaway to experience the Studios and a mega ship...but given a not so great review of the Breakaway that popped up today I might be calling and changing that reservation to the Gem.

NYC public schools are out through the 18th for Spring Break - so for that 4/8 10-night cruise there is no having to miss school for NYC public school kids.

Or teachers. I was looking at that cruise but booked the Breakaway to experience the Studios and a mega ship...but given a not so great review of the Breakaway that popped up today I might be calling and changing that reservation to the Gem.

many of the private schools in the area take the week before and the week after Easter off

Parochial schools take the wednesday before as a half day thus making the week before Easter only a 2 1/2 day school week and the week after Easter

Take it from me....the Tri state area Easter/spring/Passover break is the week before Easter AND the week after Easter.

Schools do vary but parents can and do take their kids out for a few days and rightly so.

Just an FYI that both weeks in 2017 should be considered break weeks

Edited by luvtheships

For the Manhattan Cruise terminal, it probably doesn't matter much which NY airport you fly into, as none of them is especially convenient.

issue I see you having is that your trip leaves on a weekday. No matter which airport you are coming from, if you are heading into the city after about 7am and before about 10am, traffic will probably be bad. You have to go over a bridge or through a tunnel to get into Manhattan. On weekdays, you need to add anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes just for the bridge/tunnel itself. Since any of the area airports is a 30 - 45 minute ride outside of rush hour, you're probably looking at somewhere between 1 and 2 hours to get to the cruise terminal from the airport. A metered taxi far would likely be extremely expensive, so pre-arranging for a car is a good idea.

Traveling the day of is certainly doable if it can't be avoided -- you just need to build the time into your plans. However, I'd seriously consider luvtheships advice to travel the day before. If there were ever a time to splurge to stay somewhere in Manhattan the night before, this would be the time. It will save you a lot of hassle to not have to try to cross into Manhattan during morning rush hour.

Have fun!

If you will be arriving at that time and trying to get to Manhattan during rush hour, I would suggest flying into JFKport, and taking the air train to Jamaica station then the Long Island railroad into Manhattan. It will save you a ton of time and cost ur $12 instead of a $70 uber

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I just realized that we aren't due to disembark until 10am on our return. Be careful scheduling your outbound flight. I was about to push the button on purchasing airfare and posted on the East Coast boards to be sure that I wasn't cutting it too close. Thankfully another CCer noted that Gem has a later disembarkation times on some cruises....so I am now looking for a later flight.

I just realized that we aren't due to disembark until 10am on our return. Be careful scheduling your outbound flight. I was about to push the button on purchasing airfare and posted on the East Coast boards to be sure that I wasn't cutting it too close. Thankfully another CCer noted that Gem has a later disembarkation times on some cruises....so I am now looking for a later flight.

On the initial NCL Breakaway cruise from Southampton,

WE were one of the last couples to leave the ship(we had an afternoon flight and were in no hurry to leave)

Whilst, met an nice couple from Scotland on the upper deck, overlooking their first trip to, and a great view of NYC.

How long ago was that ?

...and we are still friends playing, "Words with friends".:)

It's all fun.

Edited by $hip$hape

We're from Ottawa and do the same thing. Although pier parking is "expensive" that plus a hotel about an hour from Manhattan will be less then the cost of one airfare.

Manhattan Cruise Terminal website has a 25% off parking coupon - that will save you a few bucks.

Just an FYI - NYC Public Schools are closed April 10th - April 18. I have children in the schools and we are actually on the Gem for the 10 day leaving on the 8th!!

Happy Cruising!