HAL credit card redemption changes

Tom O.

I just got a letter today from Barclay's Bank saying they are changing the points redemption plan on HAL credit cards.

At first I panicked, because in a couple of months I am planning on making the biggest redemption ever (for me). I was worried that the new plan would not be as generous.

The letter makes the new plan sound good, but letters from banks always try to make a bad thing sound positive. So I read all the fine print, and I will have to say, it is written very poorly and is very confusing.

What is clear is that I will still earn 2 points per dollar spent on HAL 1 point everywhere else. That is the same.

But for redemption of points, they have put in this chart that makes no sense at all.

I went online, and the new redemption plan isn't there at all (it is supposed to begin in November). So I called the redemption center, and they don't know anything about the new plan; they suggested I call back in a week when they know more.

Since I don't know for sure if the new plan is as good the old one, I went ahead and paid off my next cruise so I can earn the points. Hopefully that will give me the option of cashing in my points before the new plan starts.

But after looking over the fine print again, I think Barclays just didn't make the redemption part understandable, and I suspect the points have about the same value as before.

I too am confused on the wording. One part states that any holland purchases in the last 180 days when using card and it's $4001 and up that the redemption amount value would be 2.50% but in another area it states that if you redeem for any of the World's leading cruise lines (CCL owned) that redemption is limited to 1%. Confusing to me

Here is my interpretation of the HAL Visa Card changes.

You earn points at the same rate as before.

To redeem points for something like free cruises or cruise discounts, you first purchase the cruise on your HAL card and then apply your points to "pay off" all or part of that purchase in $50 increments. You have 180 days in which to apply your points to any given eligible purchase.

The "value" of your points increase as you use larger chunks of them. For example, a $50 cruise discount would cost you 5,000 points (a 1% redemption rate) whereas a $5,000 cruise discount would cost you 200,000 points (a 2.5% redemption rate) - instead of 500,000 points at the 1% redemption rate.

I think there always was a sliding scale for point redemption, at least for cruise discounts & free cruises. I suspect that they wanted to make this more transparent for everyone. I cannot say the marketing/advertising group was particularly effective in this regard :rolleyes:!

I am not certain, but the sliding redemption scale described in the mailing may be somewhat more generous than the current one on the card's rewards site. The top 2.5% redemption rate looks to be the same, but the increased redemption rates may kick in at lower purchase amounts. It may also apply to more purchase categories than before.

Here is my interpretation of the HAL Visa Card changes.

To redeem points for something like free cruises or cruise discounts, you first purchase the cruise on your HAL card and then apply your points to "pay off" all or part of that purchase in $50 increments. You have 180 days in which to apply your points to any given eligible purchase.

The "value" of your points increase as you use larger chunks of them. For example, a $50 cruise discount would cost you 5,000 points (a 1% redemption rate) whereas a $5,000 cruise discount would cost you 200,000 points (a 2.5% redemption rate) - instead of 500,000 points at the 1% redemption rate.

This is also how I finally interpreted the letter. However I wish they could make it clearer, so I know for sure.

Instead of stating the redemption as a percentage, they should state it as actual cash value of each point. In the chart they supplied the right side column should instead say the cash value per point. Instead of 1.00%, 1.25%, 1.50%, 2.00% and 2.50%; what should be listed is 1 cent, 1.25 cents, 1.5 cents, 2 cents, and 2.5 cents. For example for a $50 credit which costs 5,000 points the value of each point is 1 cent. A $2500 credit would cost 125,000 points making each point worth 2 cents.

If you do not use the points within 180 days what happens to them?

If you pay for a cruise with points and then must cancel at the last min what happens? Guess I may have to wait until November to figure it out.

I did notice that you can buy a Pinnacle Grill dinner for 2500 points which is good since the dinner is now 35 dollars.

Thanks

Just another reason to ditch the cruise line cards in favor of a cash back card. Very straight forward. No points to worry about. Cash can be used anywhere. Cash never expires. And, you can get 3% cash back on cruises on any cruise line.

This is how I have always felt about the cards with "rewards" and have always just used my cash back cards for everything. The only thing I like about the HAL card is the double points on HAL purchases but now if they expire then forget it.

If you do not use the points within 180 days what happens to them?

If you pay for a cruise with points and then must cancel at the last min what happens? Guess I may have to wait until November to figure it out.

I did notice that you can buy a Pinnacle Grill dinner for 2500 points which is good since the dinner is now 35 dollars.

Thanks

First, you don't actually pay for a cruise (or anything else) with points. You just charge these things on you HAL card, and then request a credit on your account based on the number of points you are redeeming.

Under the old rules, you had several years to redeem your points after you earned them (I think it was 5 years). But the new rules say that the points will never expire, as long as your account is in good standing.

The 180 day limit is the time you have after purchasing an eligible item (such as a cruise) to apply points to.

For example: you acquire 125,000 points over a few years. Then you make your final payment on a cruise for $3,000 using your credit card. You then have 180 days to apply points to this purchase. So you contact the redemption center, and tell them you want to apply the 125,000 points to the cruise purchase. Under the new redemption formula this should be $2,500. A $2,500 credit will appear on your HAL credit card account.

You cannot receive a credit larger than the purchase you are applying points to.

One of my questions is: What if you have several purchases from HAL in the last 180 days? Can I lump them together in order to receive a larger credit? Typically, I pay a deposit for a cruise, then later I may purchase excursions and dinner reservations, and then the final payment. I would like to put all these purchases together, since they are all for the same cruise.

I would like Barclays to clarify their redemption policies.

This is how I have always felt about the cards with "rewards" and have always just used my cash back cards for everything. The only thing I like about the HAL card is the double points on HAL purchases but now if they expire then forget it.

Why are double points good when you can get 3% cash back? Sure, you spend $100 on HAL and you get 200 points which are worth $20. Spend $100 on HAL and get 3% cash back, you get $30. Which is better?

Posters are always asking about how to get cheaper fares. Pay with a 3% cash back card and it's like a 3% discount.

Just another reason to ditch the cruise line cards in favor of a cash back card. Very straight forward. No points to worry about. Cash can be used anywhere. Cash never expires. And, you can get 3% cash back on cruises on any cruise line.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. Getting cash back is the most rational way to do it.

But sometimes being rational is no fun. I have a cash back card which I am not using right now. When I used to use it, I would get cash back once a year, which would pay for about half of one months charges. Even though this was a great plan it wasn't as much fun as saving points for a cruise. And I didn't have to worry about overspending on a cruise I might not really afford, because it was "free".

Sometime we have to give in to the irrational part of our brains. If I did everything on a rational basis, I might not go on a cruise at all.

Why are double points good when you can get 3% cash back? Sure, you spend $100 on HAL and you get 200 points which are worth $20. Spend $100 on HAL and get 3% cash back, you get $30. Which is better?

Posters are always asking about how to get cheaper fares. Pay with a 3% cash back card and it's like a 3% discount.

Which card do you use to get 3% cash back, and is it a no-fee card?

Why are double points good when you can get 3% cash back?

What card gives 3% cash back?

Is that on every purchase?

Is there an annual fee to use the card?

Does the card waive foreign exchange fees?

What card gives 3% cash back?

Is that on every purchase?

Is there an annual fee to use the card?

Does the card waive foreign exchange fees?

If you are a Costco member you pay an annual fee for the membership. Their Visa card, with no additional annual cost gives 3% back on all travel purchases; cruises, rental cars, airlines and hotels. You also get 4% back on gasoline purchases, 2% at the Costco store and 1% on everything else. It does not waive foreign exchange fees.

One word of caution about redeeming points -

The fine print seems to say that you will forfeit any redeemed points if you cancel a booking.

I was told when I called (before this, don't know if it still applies) that we have x number of days after a cruise to redeem points if using towards cost of a cruise. (I don't remember the number of days now). So I redeem them either right before we leave or right after we get back and have never had a problem.

They just credit the balance.

If you are a Costco member you pay an annual fee for the membership. Their Visa card, with no additional annual cost gives 3% back on all travel purchases; cruises, rental cars, airlines and hotels. You also get 4% back on gasoline purchases, 2% at the Costco store and 1% on everything else. It does not waive foreign exchange fees.

The Costco Card also provides travel interruption insurance: "when you purchase a trip at least in part with your Citi card. You may recover non-refundable expenses up to $3,000 for each covered traveler if your trip is cancelled or interrupted for reasons like sickness, injury or severe weather."

Doesn't cover everything but would work well if you have medical coverage outside the US and emergency evacuation insurance can be purchased separately.

So, is there any card that offers 3% without having to pay any type of fee (annual fee, membership fee)? I am not a Costco member and have no reason to join.

There are a few. You can google 3% travel cards to find them.

Costco costs $55 to join. You'll have to decide if that offsets the 3% cash back feature. Before you completely reject Costco, you might want to look around their website to see if there are any other cost saving benefits.

One word of caution about redeeming points -

The fine print seems to say that you will forfeit any redeemed points if you cancel a booking.

Personally, I cannot think of a single reason to use the Barclay’s HAL card. Chase Bank offers a card in conjunction with AARP that pays a simple 3 percent back on all travel expenses (including cruises.) No time limits, doesn’t matter what the rebate is used for.

Scott & Karen

So, is there any card that offers 3% without having to pay any type of fee (annual fee, membership fee)? I am not a Costco member and have no reason to join.

That was my question, too. Thanks for asking it. I also see no reason to pay for a Costco membership. I don't even know if there is one around here, and I certainly would never shop there.