Driving Paris - Bayeux (Normandy area)

Roo

Has anyone rented a car at the airport and driven to the coast? I'd love to hear of your experience regarding the car rental, navigating out of the city (I mean more than GPS) and costs (gas, tolls etc.). Anything else you can add would be great.

Thanks,

Nancy

Sort of related....

A few years ago, we drove from Germany, "through" Paris, to Bayeux, on the Normandy beaches, and this August, drove from Bastogne to Reims, then to CDG. Some thoughts.

CDG is outside of (northeast of), so pick your route around Paris to avoid city traffic. It was a bear when we drove "through" town.

There are toll roads from Paris to just short of Bayeux. I think the cost a few years ago was less than 10 euros.

Just like worldwide, gas is relatively cheap (compared to the last 10 or 15 years) in Europe. Instead of $7-8 per gallon, it is around $4. European cars are, generally speaking, far more fuel efficient that US cars. We drove about 500 miles this August in a diesel car, and used just over half a tank. And it was not the smallest car available!

You don't need an international drivers license.

Check your routes on viamichelin.com. It is a great planning tool.

It gives you a detailed plan showing exit signs, stops, etc. It also calculates the tolls on your routes and estimates how much you will spend in gas. It is possible to drive in the autoroutes around Paris without going into the city. The viamichelin program can plot it for you. It will also find hotels and restaurants for you.

Once away from the main cities it is very easy to drive in France as the roads are fairly quiet.

We go to France often in our British car with the steering wheel on the opposite side and never have a problem. A couple of weeks ago we drove from London to Brittany on holiday.

En route we stayed at an excellent BB in Normandy called 'Le Gaudin' and had their delicious, optional, evening meal.

We have rented (and dropped rentals) at CDG with no problems. Have even rented in downtown Paris a few times (on our way out of Paris). From CDG it is helpful to have a GPS, of at least study a map (in advance) so you know where you are going those first few miles. I also recall buying gas (to fill our rental car before dropping at CDG) at a gas station a few miles from the airport (probably used our GPS to find a station. We noticed that OP is from the Toronto area...and if they are used to driving around Toronto they should be fine in the CDG area. Like any large city it is advisable to avoid the popular morning and afternoon rush hours on the major roads around the airport...or be prepared for lots of traffic.

Hank

Unless you have driven in France before and are experienced drivers of manual cars I would not entertain driving in Paris. Most drivers in this would find it very stressful, and you will need a companion as the navigator as driving will not allow you to read signs.

For a holiday I would think again you could be a nervous wreck!!

Thanks everyone for your advice about driving from Paris (CDG) to the coast. We are still on the fence about this, but have a lot more to think about with your responses. We have reserved an automatic car at the airport (I know it's more expensive) and had planned to take a route that would either take us around Paris or as straight through as possible (if that was the only way - still have to check on Michelin's site).

I will continue to appreciate any further info and advice from y'all.

Nancy

Thanks everyone for your advice about driving from Paris (CDG) to the coast. We are still on the fence about this, but have a lot more to think about with your responses. We have reserved an automatic car at the airport (I know it's more expensive) and had planned to take a route that would either take us around Paris or as straight through as possible (if that was the only way - still have to check on Michelin's site).

Nancy

Around Paris is the only way. CDG is northeast of Paris. The autoroutes take you to the shore by skirting Paris on the north and straight out west. Going through Paris would add miles and lots and lots of time and aggravation. Lookup CDG on google maps and check viamichelin for directions.

Nancy

"Straight through" is what I am advising against. It is no fun, particularly after a redeye flight...lots of traffic. Its doable, but worth making the effort to avoid.

Edited by CruiserBruce

No problem actually driving from CDG to Bauyeaux (I've done it twice) but be prepared for rush hour traffic and motorcycles that ride between the car lanes. They come out of nowhere, weave between cars and lanes, and have no regard for other drivers.

I learned to drive in NYC, regularly drive in Manhattan, and felt that these 2 wheel vehicles on the French roads were the most dangerous things I had ever encountered. :eek:

Toll roads are the fastest way from Paris to Baueaux but are expensive. Use viamichelin to get the estimated toll and fuel costs. Using c&s credit cards on toll roads was hit or miss. Sometimes they were accepted, sometimes not. :confused:

But I would do the drive again rather than take public transportation. Bauyeaux is lovely and we love to visit. Very moving British war museum and cemetery. And of course the cathedral and tapestry.

We stayed in Paris for a couple of days before heading to Normandy. We then took the train to Rouen and rented a car there. Once we got the car we had no problems driving around Normandy. If you go on a toll road, have cash or a chip credit card as they don't accept credit cards without a chip. The French were amazingly patient waiting for us to find our money or having to wait for a toll taker come to make change. It's so much easier with a chip! After two weeks we did drive straight back to CDG to return our car after stopping at Giverney. By then we were prepared and had no problems. Staying in Paris before you get the car means you've had a nights sleep and may be better prepared to drive in an unfamiliar city.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't discount jetlag. We haven't driven out of CDG, but have out of Heathrow in the past, and it is hell when you're tired out from an overnight flight, especially since it will be rush hour unless you arrive on a weekend. If you can manage to stay overnight somewhere before driving, all the better. Rouen would work if you can get a convenient train straight from the airport.

As for tolls, luckily all Canadian credit cards are chip and PIN. Good to know you can do that--in some jurisdictions you need a toll transponder, which you can often add as part of the rental. Presumably you could also do that in France.