Dress standards on Cunard, adherence to.

NSWP

Well IMO if they (whoever) do not follow the dress code of (any) line, they deserve to be tut tutted at. Those who choose not to do the correct thing, bring the rest of us 'Orstralians' into disrepute. And no, I don't subscribe to the arguments, "It's my holiday time and I should be able to dress as I please" or "it doesn't hurt you the way I dress". It detracts from the overall atmosphere and ambience and it does annoy me. There are also plenty of land based venues with dress requirements not just Cunard :D

Have to agree, we have a bit of class, a bit I said. !! lol.

That has reminded me about a cruise I did on Arcadia in 2012. I was on from Singapore to Sydney however after I boarded many more Australians boarded in Hong Kong to Sydney due to cheap prices and the ship going to Japan after the tsunami and radiation risk caused prices to plummet on that cruise.

During the entire voyage the cruise director on the morning announcements was making it clear about the dress code and it was clear that the announcements were directed at Australians. He would pretty much state that of an evenings when it is formal that passengers not in formal attire were not permitted to enter the crows nest, main dining rooms and any bars throughout the ship that were designated formal. They would be permitted to dine at the buffet and sit by the pool. He then had to explain what formal actually was. He even made announcements for smart casual nights stating that shorts were not acceptable anywhere below decks on the ship after 6pm.

At that time P&O was run differently than it is today and was more focused on stylish cruising. Now that they have changed livery and have larger ships I am not sure what the line is like as I have been sailing with Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean ever since.

Indeed, we weren the same ship, Arcadia - Sydney - Southampton in March 2012. The CD was often heard educating Colonials re dress codes, so he should have. As for P&O UK these days, I was on Aurora and Oriana last Oct/Nov from Southampton, it is still quite formal, 99% tuxedo wearing in MDRS on formal nights. Even on non formal nights - smart casual and 'Jacket nights, many still wore a bag of fruit in the MDR. British traditions die hard.

Edited by NSWP

On another social media site relevant to cruising...a couple of contributors from another continent made harsh comment about Australians travelling on Cunard having 'No class' due to their failure to dress appropriately.

I resembled that remark and copped a flogging.

Mr Gut and I might have to sort some of them out on our respective QM2 cruises next year.

BTW Cunard people refer to their sea journeys as 'Voyages' not 'cruises.'

I'll try and have them broken in before we swap over Uncle Les, after a week of the Guts, you should look pretty good to them:D.

On another social media site relevant to cruising...a couple of contributors from another continent made harsh comment about Australians travelling on Cunard having 'No class' due to their failure to dress appropriately.

Mr Gut and I might have to sort some of them out on our respective QM2 cruises next year.

Yes, we often voyage out mostly doing it in 'Bon' style.;)

'Bon Style' Mic? Not heard that one...what do you do, pull bon bons at sailaway? lol.

OR drink French Champers?

'STOP PRESS' ! Uncle Les went to Lowes this morning and purchased a new Dinner Suit (Tuxedo) for his QM2 voyage, for fear of being ridiculed, I shalt not disclose the details of purchase. Now the Cunarders might not embarrass moi !!

Well I could have procured one from Vinnies or the Salvos !!!

Edited by NSWP

'STOP PRESS' ! Uncle Les went to Lowes this morning and purchased a new Dinner Suit (Tuxedo) for his QM2 voyage, for fear of being ridiculed, I shalt not disclose the details of purchase. Now the Cunarders might not embarrass moi !!

I hope you didn't get the orange one or the flowery one.:eek:

Cruise partners perhaps?

Yep, we go as two solos and link bookings so we are on the same table etc. We do some activities together but not all and always meet for pre-dinner drinks in the Chart Room.

We're on QM2 in April (and it can't come quick enough) :)

Ah, you didn't need to do that Uncle Les. On our table of 10 there was only one dinner suit, the other gents were well attired in dark lounge suits.

But you will cut a resplendent figure I am sure :)

Bl""dy heck, I buy all me best clobber at Lowes.

I hope you didn't get the orange one or the flowery one.:eek:

No mate, Black is my colour plus a black bow tie and a red bow tie and a nice frilly white shirt. Even purchased a new pair of black Julius Marlowes from Harris Scarfe @ your Canberra Outlet Centre, Fyshwick, too. I am a dinosaur don't forget. lol.

Edited by NSWP

Bl""dy heck, I buy all me best clobber at Lowes.

Ken Oath Mr Gut, Lowes is quality, all the way from China. My favourite gentlemans outfitter, we have a store down here.

FYI a few years ago I wrote to Lowes Head Office, told them there were 10,000 retirees in Batemans Bay and that a Lowes would go well. Guess what? They replied, 2 years later we got a Lowes and it does well, school clothing too not only cruise clothes.

No mate, Black is my colour plus a black bow tie and a red bow tie and a nice frilly white shirt. Even purchased a new pair f black Julius Marlowes from Harris Scarfe too. I am a dinosaur don't forget. lol.

You will look resplendent indeed.:D

Ken Oath Mr Gut, Lowes is quality, all the way from China. My favourite gentlemans outfitter, we have a store down here.

FYI a few years ago I wrote to Lowes Head Office, told them there were 10,000 retirees in Batemans Bay and that a Lowes would go well. Guess what? They replied, 2 years later we got a Lowes and it does well, school clothing too not only cruise clothes.

Good on you, I hope you got a discount.:D

Ah, you didn't need to do that Uncle Les. On our table of 10 there was only one dinner suit, the other gents were well attired in dark lounge suits.

But you will cut a resplendent figure I am sure :)

Thank you for your kind remarks, I have a little class, not quite a Bogan or a Chav, yet.

I also but a lot of Rivers clobber, mainly cause it fits me.

In some ways they are probably true speaking about the "no class" or perhaps to word correctly "no comprehension" would be better.

I should elaborate here. How many times have you heard the word "sports jacket" what goes through your mind when people say "sports jacket" and how it will be permissible for formal nights.

To an Australian this would be a "sports jacket":

%20Gym%20Jackets%20-%20Hoodies1-6099.jpgs-l225.jpg

and I kid you not once Australians have heard sports jackets are acceptable on formal nights they have worn this sort of attire and I can attest to seeing Australians wear this type although different.

Now to a North American or European do you know what a sports jacket is??

Well to everywhere else in the world this is what a "sports jacket" is:

sports-jacket-8.jpga7e4f47e148b7fae6b80c36cbcf8d9b6.jpg

In some ways they are probably true speaking about the "no class" or perhaps to word correctly "no comprehension" would be better.

I should elaborate here. How many times have you heard the word "sports jacket" what goes through your mind when people say "sports jacket" and how it will be permissible for formal nights.

To an Australian this would be a "sports jacket":

%20Gym%20Jackets%20-%20Hoodies1-6099.jpgs-l225.jpg

and I kid you not once Australians have heard sports jackets are acceptable on formal nights they have worn this sort of attire and I can attest to seeing Australians wear this type although different.

Now to a North American or European do you know what a sports jacket is??

Well to everywhere else in the world this is what a "sports jacket" is:

sports-jacket-8.jpga7e4f47e148b7fae6b80c36cbcf8d9b6.jpg

Correct. Love to se this post put on Cunard section of CC, the Brits would love it, but beyond my capability.

Edited by NSWP

Yep, we go as two solos and link bookings so we are on the same table etc. We do some activities together but not all and always meet for pre-dinner drinks in the Chart Room.

We're on QM2 in April (and it can't come quick enough) :)

Yup. This time I wont be gymming so we shall probably be meeting up quite a lot this time. Only three ports which we will share together but Aussieflyer is a bit more kultured than me so she will probably attend more performances than me.