Any recent "guarantee" cabin stories?

Hflors

We booked a guarantee cabin for our upcoming cruise. I think it was a HH. Now that we are 27 days out I am getting nervous. What if we get a horrible cabin? What if we are unhappy with the cabin? Can we call the TA and see about a "trade"?

I guess I just need to vent about this. I wish HAl assigned cabins before a week before the cruise. We always book a specific cabin so maybe this is why I am so nervous.

Any suggestions?

We got our assignment two days before our July cruise on Maasdam. We were assigned the "worst" cabin on the ship, and it was wonderful! As long as you are on a HAL ships, all is good.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Any suggestions?

You could call your TA to see if there are any satisfactory specific cabins that you could book now, and get this over with.

If not, check your location as soon as your cabin is assigned. If it's not satisfactory, ask your TA to find out if there is somewhere else you can be assigned. You may get moved---stranger things have happened.

I once booked a guarantee as nothing in my category was in a decent location; I was hoping for an upgrade to a better location, and didn't get it. :(

So, I called my TA, and was reassigned! I got my original category, but in an area where I was much happier!

Hflors - here is a story to cheer you up.

My friends are sailing on the Prinsendam in just a few days.

They booked an inside cabin and I got a call the other night to make sure what she was seeing was correct.

They had been upgraded to a very nice verandah location!!!!

An upgrade like this must be very rare, but I guess these things can happen, so you just never know :)

Edited by kazu

And with 27 days left, upsell offers may just be starting. That's about when they started on my last 2 cruises. And the 2 opening offers were rack rate.

Upsells came out last week, but with it being a 42 day cruise the upsell was still more than we wanted to pay. We made an offer, but we were turned down. I guess I just need to be patient.

Note to self: Don't do this again!

We are sailing on the Prinsendam this week, had a guarantee G, last week we

received our cabin, a great area ,we were happy, yesterday received another

email and now it will be a veranda.

We do not know if this is only for the first 14 days. We are staying on for the next 30 days, but booked it separately.

Anyhow we are very happy.

Anneke

We booked a specific cabin for an upcoming cruise. When I got the invoice it showed as a guarantee. I had the TA try to recover our booked cabin, but HAL wouldn't let us have it. Weeks later we were assigned a cabin two decks lower on the opposite side of the ship. HAL calls this an upgrade (from VD to VB) but we're now opening right into the elevator lobby, which is one of the things I was trying to avoid. Not happy.

I still haven't received a satisfactory explanation as to what happened, but I have a strong hunch the TA inadvertently booked a guarantee.

Either way, someone's going to get a blast when we board.

Sopwith - Any chance there might be an upsell or your TA can do his/her job re your original choice before you board? It seems that it would be better to "blast" those on dry ground in hopes of a resolution rather than those on board who have had nothing to do with the reservation. I would be really upset if I chose a specific cabin and was given something less desirable. Since your TA possibly did not do their job maybe changing your booking to HAL is a possibility. Just a thought. Cherie

We booked a specific cabin for an upcoming cruise. When I got the invoice it showed as a guarantee. I had the TA try to recover our booked cabin, but HAL wouldn't let us have it. Weeks later we were assigned a cabin two decks lower on the opposite side of the ship. HAL calls this an upgrade (from VD to VB) but we're now opening right into the elevator lobby, which is one of the things I was trying to avoid. Not happy.

I still haven't received a satisfactory explanation as to what happened, but I have a strong hunch the TA inadvertently booked a guarantee.

Either way, someone's going to get a blast when we board.

Just curious...if you noticed the reservation had been booked as a guarantee right away, and couldn't get back the original stateroom requested, why didn't you get the TA to change the booking to a 'second choice' stateroom? Why stay as a guarantee and risk a stateroom you really wouldn't like?

TA claims she did everything she could to sort it out and HAL wouldn't budge. Tried for an upgrade or an upsell, but the ship is sold out. Looking at the website, this appears to be the case. Problem is the TA is a friend of my wife, so it's awkward for me to get too heavy. This is why I don't like doing business with friends.

Don't take "blast" too literally. I will discuss with the FCC on board and link future business to how we are treated. I much prefer to deal with these issues face to face rather than through email with some unseen, unknown minion who doesn't give a rat's derrière about me or my problem.

We always book guarantee and have always been assigned wonderful cabins. I'm anxiously awaiting to see where we'll be placed on the Koningsdam for our December cruise (we booked a guaranteed Vista Suite). Enjoy your cruise...hopefully you'll get the cabin you desire!

TA claims she did everything she could to sort it out and HAL wouldn't budge. Tried for an upgrade or an upsell, but the ship is sold out. Looking at the website, this appears to be the case. Problem is the TA is a friend of my wife, so it's awkward for me to get too heavy. This is why I don't like doing business with friends.

QUOTE]

So totally agree about not doing business with friends (or family). Sounds like it is time for a new TA. Maybe if you went to a major agency (have found they provide great / better perks than smaller agencies or HAL FCC's) your wife will not worry as much about her friend.

We always book guarantee and have always been assigned wonderful cabins. I'm anxiously awaiting to see where we'll be placed on the Koningsdam for our December cruise (we booked a guaranteed Vista Suite). Enjoy your cruise...hopefully you'll get the cabin you desire!

Totally agree ! -always book GTY balcony and never beendisappointed yet-always get upgrade of some degree -maybe only a couple of categories higher, but often even better. Upcoming Kdam 21/12/16 booked GTY verandah, (min. VF -assigned V5159 -:cool:!!)

Totally agree ! -always book GTY balcony and never beendisappointed yet-always get upgrade of some degree -maybe only a couple of categories higher, but often even better. Upcoming Kdam 21/12/16 booked GTY verandah, (min. VF -assigned V5159 -:cool:!!)

Edit: Kdam 10/12/16

Was the price on your booked cabin and the "guarantee" the same? Normally they are not, so your TA may have messed up by booking the lower fare? That also could be why HAL would not budge - different price.

Don't take "blast" too literally. I will discuss with the FCC on board and link future business to how we are treated. I much prefer to deal with these issues face to face rather than through email with some unseen, unknown minion who doesn't give a rat's derrière about me or my problem.

Thanks for classifying your "blast" It makes sense to discuss this issue face to face with someone who can take it up the chain of command, it is another thing to yell at someone for something they neither did nor have control over.

I am surprised the cruise line could move you without your permission, unless the "don't move me" box was not checked, and that would be an issue to discuss with the TA.

Edited by MommaBear55

We have being sailing with Holland America for over 30 years, and this is the first Guarantee booking we have ever made.

We could only make a Guarantee booking, HAL would NOT allow us to book a specific cabin in class. We made the booking in October 2015 for a Koningsdam sailing in March 2017. The Signature Suite sold completely out approx. 9 months out.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Not sure what to expect.

Interesting thread. We have sailed on HAL, Volendam and twice on Westerdam, but it has been some time.

My daughter and her family are sailing with us in March. They needed a cabin for 3, with a tub for my grandchild, and not a balcony as GrandPa said he would not go if grandchild is near a balcony.

It took haunting the boards for a long time. I did get a category "G" partially obstructed with a tub.

For my husband and myself...........I just sort of thought ..why not take a chance. I have a deposit on a category "D" balcony. I did check an online T.A. ( did dummy booking) and apparently All categories below "D" have sold out.

We are generally thrilled to be on the big boat as my grand daughter calls them...but I did begin to dream a little. Actually Middle of the Ship is my first choice. We have had guarantees before. But not in a long time. We were always pleased with what we got. Once we paid a small sum to upgrade to a Suite. Loved that! But that only happened once.

Love reading about other's good luck.

A long time ago (when I had hair on the top of my head), we used to book specific cabins. However, something made us do the switch to guarantee. 8 cruises later, never a problem. We don't really need a balcony/verandah (although those have been nice) as we are out and about a lot. Sure, with a balcony/verandah the temptation would be to sit out there for hours on end. But what about goofing off with other CCers.

We prefer low and center and have been happy with whatever HAL (or Princess) gives us.

I will be sailing with Hflors on the 42-day Atlantic Adventurer (225+ on our roll call). If they want to switch, I might consider it. We have HH guarantee.

Jim

We are booked VF guaranteed on the Eurodam for a 28 day, back to back cruise beginning the 21st of Oct. The reservations agent said they would "link" our reservations with the couple we were traveling with and try to put us next to each other if possible. Well, our friends (first time cruisers with HAL) got their cabin assignment weeks ago, a VD on deck 6. An upgrade according to the list of amenities....fresh flowers, a choice of pillows, feather duvets, a mini bar, umbrellas and concierge service to name a few. We (4th time HAL cruisers) finally received ours today and it is a VC on deck 5. It is certainly not an upgrade. It's across from a service room and is apparently noisy every morning. We are jinxed. We had the room next to the elevator last cruise and it banged against the elevator shaft walls every night, all night! We are happy for our friends but I don't know why they "link" you and then not put you side by side or even on the same floor!

We are booked VF guaranteed on the Eurodam for a 28 day, back to back cruise beginning the 21st of Oct. The reservations agent said they would "link" our reservations with the couple we were traveling with and try to put us next to each other if possible. Well, our friends (first time cruisers with HAL) got their cabin assignment weeks ago, a VD on deck 6. An upgrade according to the list of amenities....fresh flowers, a choice of pillows, feather duvets, a mini bar, umbrellas and concierge service to name a few. We (4th time HAL cruisers) finally received ours today and it is a VC on deck 5. It is certainly not an upgrade. It's across from a service room and is apparently noisy every morning. We are jinxed. We had the room next to the elevator last cruise and it banged against the elevator shaft walls every night, all night! We are happy for our friends but I don't know why they "link" you and then not put you side by side or even on the same floor!

If your friends got assigned a vd cabin they should not be getting the amenities you have listed. While may not see your cabin assignment as an upgrade in Hal's eyes it is. It might be a better idea to choose your own cabin if location is a concern.

Thank you Florida Gal 50. The room my friends got is VD6158, a floor above ours and the HAL agent did say it was an upgrade because we called for clarification on the amenities list. They did not want to pack umbrellas if they were getting complimentary ones. I really did not know we could pick our cabin. Our first two cruises were booked for us so this back to back is the first one we've arranged on our own. The different levels within a cabin category were not explained to us. It can all be quite confusing. Cruising is definitely a learning experience!

Thank you Florida Gal 50. The room my friends got is VD6158, a floor above ours and the HAL agent did say it was an upgrade because we called for clarification on the amenities list. They did not want to pack umbrellas if they were getting complimentary ones. I really did not know we could pick our cabin. Our first two cruises were booked for us so this back to back is the first one we've arranged on our own. The different levels within a cabin category were not explained to us. It can all be quite confusing. Cruising is definitely a learning experience!

Hi, if you haven't already discovered this and want to see where your cabin is located and the amenities you get, go to the Holland America site, click on On Board, then Our Mid-Sized Ships, then Eurodam. You can check your location and the amenities from this page. Your friends cabin is a VD which is considered a lower category than VC which you have.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Have you checked the sticky for new cruisers, I think it is called "Hal for dummies"