Royal can you read this - Suggestion re gluten free at buffet

ok, i'll play:

https://consensus.nih.gov/2004/2004CeliacDisease118Program.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26043918

Mayo Clinic Going Gluten Free Book by Joseph A. Murray

http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Abstract/2015/08000/Navigating_the_gluten_free_boom.16.aspx

these organizations that promote the awareness of celiac disease seems to agree with those numbers

http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures

http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity

https://celiac.org/about-cdf/our-role-impact/mission-statement/

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/06/11/think-youre-sensitive-to-gluten-think-again

Nplease point me to some places that show different numbers.

There are also those who believe the holocaust never happened, 9/11was an inside conspiracy and the moon landing was a staged hoax.

Would you like me to send you links for that garbage too?

See you got caught here. Now your going way over the top to make a

Point you will lose on. But go ahead, provide your data.

I

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are also those who believe the holocaust never happened, 9/11was an inside conspiracy and the moon landing was a staged hoax.

I

These are pro-gluten free sites stating that information. Your comparison to 9/11 conspiracies, moon landing hoax believers, etc is ludicrous.

I just clicked this one, http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/. They say 1 in 133 has celiac disease then claim 1% has it. One in 133 is barely .75% and they round up by 35% to make it sound like more.

The VAST majority of people worried about gluten have no clue what it even is - just following what they think is the latest fad. Yes, for 0.75% of the population it is real, but for the rest? Sorry, just a fad.

Edited by mattg43

There is a difference between celiac disease and gluten allergy or gluten intolerance. Yes there are some that choose this lifestyle but believe me from someone who has just recently had to adopt gluten free diet, this is not what I would have chosen. One percent is the number for celiac disease but I do not believe we are talking about just them. There are many who must be included for other reasons. I can tell you it is an interesting experience going gluten free, It is expensive and in trying to adjust.....well let's just say I have had some unique kitchen results. After one month, I am personally seeing a reduction in my symptom so will continue on. So I am glad when others share there experiences and assistance.

Chris

These are pro-gluten free sites stating that information. Your comparison to 9/11 conspiracies, moon landing hoax believers, etc is ludicrous.

I just clicked this one, http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/. They say 1 in 133 then claim it is 1%. It is barely .75% and they round up by 35% to make it sound like more.

The VAST majority of people worried about gluten have no clue what it even is.

The newest data is greater than 1% if you look at the new set research. People generally have expressed the celiac gene for more than 10 years, ie, have active symptoms, before diagnosis. The conservative estimate in the medical community is 2%. The reason for the rise is both better diagnosis and the more frequent activation of the gene, similar to the rise in Type II diabetes. The increase in popularity of the GF diet is both a help, in that there is a greater awareness and bigger choices of food is available, and a hindrance, because of the 4-5 % following a gluten free lifestyle, 2 to 4 percent are doing it for reasons other than true gluten intolerance, because then people say "oh, just a little won't hurt you", when actually a mouthful can cause week long misery. And yes, I am a medical professional as well as the parent of an adult child with celiac disease.

These gluten free folk are abusive .......For most people .. gluten free is a dietary choice not an allergy. Less than 1 percent of the population is celiac.

Burden someone else with your fake dietary wants..just sayan:rolleyes:

Here is an interesting article about that:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/06/11/think-youre-sensitive-to-gluten-think-again

you asked for sources and i gave some. i didn't reference quacks like dr. oz or food babe, ie "the people that go, chemicals bad but buy my magic pills!". i guess you could call the mayo clinic and the nih sources for conspiracies but then i'm not sure what you would consider a legitimate source for medical information. like i said earlier why don't you provide some "legitimate" sources then to your numbers?

While there are many who jump on the gluten free bandwagon as the fad of the month, we have to remember there are many who really do suffer with Celiac Disease. One of our daughter's college friends suffers with this and was very pleased that when visiting us our meals were easy for her. We eat low carb (for type 2 Diabetes) and in our house that, pretty much, means no gluten foods. Letting the cruise line know your dietary restrictions is a must do, but I think the Windjammer is a crap shoot simply for the reasons stated on this board. It's easier for us with the choices because of staying away from carbs in general.

The fad dieters will move on but those afflicted will still be there.

Some people who feel better on a gluten-free diets are feeling better not because it's gluten-free but because they stopped eating so much junk. They stopped the donuts, the oversized Bagels, Count Chocula cereal, tons and tons of pizza and a lot of other things like that because they just don't taste as good as the non GF.

So when you stop eating a lot of junk food you feel better.

I just clicked this one, http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/. They say 1 in 133 has celiac disease then claim 1% has it. One in 133 is barely .75% and they round up by 35% to make it sound like more.

The VAST majority of people worried about gluten have no clue what it even is - just following what they think is the latest fad. Yes, for 0.75% of the population it is real, but for the rest? Sorry, just a fad.

Are you going to continue to regurgitate data from from some other site that that is taken completely of context?

Your still talking about 3 million Americans alone truly have Celiac. Nearly 3x the amount of the US population that has HIV. Is HIV A FAD too?

Yet with such a small segment of the population having HIV. Should we stop checking the blood supply because the numbers are so low?

But, I know you know everything. You can't debate ignorance. So I guess I lose .

I quote the great Neil Pearl

"I cant pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend"

Are you going to continue to regurgitate data from from some other site that that is taken completely of context?

Your still talking about 3 million Americans alone truly have Celiac. Nearly 3x the amount of the US population that has HIV. Is HIV A FAD too?

Yet with such a small segment of the population having HIV. Should we stop checking the blood supply because the numbers are so low?

But, I know you know everything. You can't debate ignorance. So I guess I lose .

So he provides valid data, and you claim anyone can come up with data. Then you change your tune to say that 1% is still a lot of people?? Sounds like you know you lost but you are going to continue to sounds ridiculous.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

This is a legitimate study by Dr. Peter Gibson, who was actually one of the first people to come up with a study that showed NCGS might be a real condition. However he later discovered flaws in his original study, and went back and did the study linked above, that showed that there is no such thing as NCGS.

Basically what that means is if you don't have Celiac, Gluten won't harm you, no matter what you may think. Sure you can feel better cutting out Gluten, but that is due to the fact that you start watching the food that yo eat, and start cutting out junk food.

For those without Celiac, it is absolutely a fad. If you want to follow it, and it makes you feel better, that's fine. However, it's not a necessity for those outside the 1%.

These gluten free folk are abusive .......For most people .. gluten free is a dietary choice not an allergy. Less than 1 percent of the population is celiac.

Krw89Y.gif

Yep, you lose. come back when you have facts. unless u can transmit celiac disease the same way you do HIV then i'm not sure what your point is with the blood supply.

This is a legitimate study by Dr. Peter Gibson, who was actually one of the first people to come up with a study that showed NCGS might be a real condition. However he later discovered flaws in his original study, and went back and did the study linked above, that showed that there is no such thing as NCGS.

Basically what that means is if you don't have Celiac, Gluten won't harm you, no matter what you may think. Sure you can feel better cutting out Gluten, but that is due to the fact that you start watching the food that yo eat, and start cutting out junk food.

Actually there has been another about face on this issue.

See:

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2016/07/21/gutjnl-2016-311964.full

It seems as if NCGS may actually be real and cause actual physical damage in some individuals.

So he provides valid data, and you claim anyone can come up with data. Then you change your tune to say that 1% is still a lot of people?? Sounds like you know you lost but you are going to continue to sounds ridiculous.

For those without Celiac, it is absolutely a fad. If you want to follow it, and it makes you feel better, that's fine. However, it's not a necessity for those outside the 1%.

OK. Thank you.

Edited by drumtech77

I'll chime in that MORE people should try an elimination diet without gluten (and dairy, for that matter). If you suffer an auto-immune or inflammatory disease and have been told that there's no cure other than immunosuppressant drugs or prescription painkillers, you might be amazed how a little tweak in diet could change your life for the better. I gave up gluten and dairy 2 years ago, after a lifetime of psoriasis, a decade and a half of psoriatic arthritis, years of chronic sinus infections (which even surgery didn't help), adult acne, stomach issues, etc. I gave up gluten and dairy, and EVERYTHING cleared up! And, likewise, if I eat gluten or dairy, everything flares up again, and it takes about 5 days for the inflammation to go back down for a bite, longer if I had more. My mom has fibromyalgia and acid reflux, has been in pain for decades. She saw what giving up gluten and dairy did for me, but she resisted that it would be too difficult. She finally realized that anything was better than how she's been living--and she's AMAZED that she feels better than she has in probably 20-30 years! No need to get an official doctor's stamp of "celiac" when you've already been stamped with another diagnosis and find a life-changing cure on your own. Is it "trendy" for some people? It probably is for some. But there are countless others who know what their body is like on one food--and what it's like without it. The argument is like telling someone that unless they have been diagnosed with diabetes by a doctor they should be eating sugar--despite that it may give you weight gain or heart disease or adrenal fatigue, etc. Why do you care if a person chooses not to eat sugar or wheat or meat or anything else? But, if anyone is interested in learning more, lots of books about anti-inflammatory diet, auto-immune disease and food connection, leaky gut, functional medicine, etc. My favorite book is "The Immune System Recovery Plan" by Susan Blum, M.D. Another doctor to follow is Mark Hyman.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for info posted here regarding GF options. This is a recent change for me and I am adjusting. We are booked on the Oasis in November and I contacted RCCL about my options, They stated waiters will assist in dining room which I was aware of. I was asking about the possibility of rolls, bread, pizza ect. They never responded to that but suggested I not go to buffet. I thought this was odd as dining room not an option at lunch times on port days. What have others done? Also I checked new menus and some of the options listed as GF do not appear to be GF. Example was a seafood pasta. Do they really have GF pasta? TIA

Chris

They have pasta but I found they often over cook it in the MDR.

Pizza you get on some ship with their pizza shops. It was awful!!! Compared to my Costco Italian brand, it was uneatable. They even cooked it twice but it could be it needed 3-4 more times? They have packaged hamburger buns and bagels. Some breads daily. UDI cookies in the WJ or by room service.

I would love to know where you got this info from. As someone that is Celiac, I actually find this statement to be very offensive. You have NO idea why people may not eat gluten. I have several family members that are not Celiac but are gluten intolerant and get very ill from eating gluten, so please, before making assumptions that some just chooses to eat gluten free because they want to, maybe you should back it up with facts. Trust me, I certainly would NEVER choose to eat this way if I did not have to.

And while I realize you did mention that some people are Celiac, I still feel you were being offensive toward people that are gluten intolerant, which is a legitimate concern, just like having Celiac. It is not a fake dietary want!!

Until someone walks in your shoes they have no idea. Banging your head against a wall to convince them. They are beyond fortunate and don't realize how lucky they are to be able to eat any food out there!

I sure wouldn't choose this diet but it sure makes my life a lot better and I was not a donut, crap food eater ever!!! or I would be huge!!! That was another uncalled for remark.

I have watched my weight my whole life and it took almost my whole life to find out why I was not feeling well soooo many times after eating. I went to Naturopaths to try to feel better.

I found I was sensitive to Lactose too, so no ice cream or fancy rich desserts for me or I am in the bathroom all night. Boring!!!:)

No fun on a cruise eating something that sets you off and then it takes days to feel better again.

Can you explain please why me being celiac (confirmed by bloods and biopsy) is abusive. Not only does eating gluten make me ill but my neurologist (top UK hospital) also fears that eating gluten may be have been and may be in the future a trigger for auto immune Transverse Myelitis (2 attacks) which have left me paralyzed (repeat TM is very rare so my team work in conjunction with the Mayo-clinic to try and understand the profile of this devastating auto immune condition). So if anything eating gluten would indeed be abusive - TO ME!!

However, thank you for your concern in everyone dietary intake and taking the time to post ;)

I have a fish/shellfish allergy severe enough that I carry an epicenter. I also have an almond allergy. I notified RC of this before the cruise, and they instructed me to talk to the person at the podium at the MDR entrance when I boarded. They also stressed that if I ate anywhere else, I'd basically have to take my chances. I felt that was both informative and fair. My allergies were taken very seriously in the MDR. Like you say, cross contamination is the biggest issue.

Holly

Congratulations! You DO have a choice.. you could choose to be kind and understanding, but apparently you didn't.:mad:

My "choice" of eating gluten free keeps me from throwing up and having uncontrollable diarrhea for 3 days. Trust me - I would choose to eat gluten if I could.

It seems that the people who are giving this an eye roll ARE conceding that there ARE SOME people who truly suffer from the disease and are truly at risk.

However, those who have it seem to refuse to believe that anyone would fake such a thing. Or that there aren't that many people who do. And I understand why. When you truly suffer from this and you truly know how debilitating it can be, you wouldn't wish it on your worse enemy. So you wouldn't dare 'pretend' to go through it.

I spend 8 hours a day with a chic who does JUST that and it drives me nuts. And it's people like her who make the rest of us cringe at the very mention of the word gluten.

Now, I have several co-workers who have the disease. They go about their day, they know what they can and can't eat, they plan accordingly. It's no big deal.

Except this one lady. She puts on a production ANYTIME there's anything to do with food. She makes a show of not being able to eat this because it touched that. Or not liking the way that this looks and not being able to trust the people in our cafeteria who provide our food, but then will come in and tell me she thinks she 'got glutened' over the weekend after going through the drive thru at McDonalds. :confused:

She constantly 'reminds' the poor cafeteria workers that 'there are LAWS' about this and they need to get educated. She regales us with tales of her gastrointestinal issues WHILE WE'RE EATING. She's constantly talking about GMO and gluten and organic and...she's always lamenting how she wishes she could eat like the rest of us.

I now refuse to go to lunch with her because she's been so rude to waiters and restaurant managers that it was embarrassing.

And it's not like she just found out she has it. She was diagnosed like 7 or 8 years ago. And yet she hasn't figured out that fast food drive thrus are probably not a good option for her. But we're the ones that need to 'get educated'. :rolleyes:

Last month our supervisor had to talk to her because she came into a meeting, called all the food disgusting and then demanded a meal ticket for the cafeteria (where no one can be trusted;)) from our poor admin. The admin was heartbroken because she DID try to accommodate her (she got her a salad with grilled chicken and no croutons), but the lady said she couldn't be sure if the chicken hadn't been close to croutons and she just needed to go pick something herself. In reality, Ms. Gluten Free just didn't like what was being served that day and decided to pull the gluten free card to go get something different.

So yes, there are people who fake this. And they are obnoxious and abusive 'attention whores'. And being gluten free is a way for them to get the sympathy and attention they crave. Like I said, the ones who really suffer from it just aren't nearly as big a PITA as she is. Most of them deal with their condition in a civilized manner the same way people with other allergies do. But if your only exposure is to the ones who are like my co-worker, you just tend to not have a favorable view of those who cry 'gluten'.

Lol, the numbers aren't difficult to find via google. Except for the 1% or so with an actual medical condition and must avoid gluten and the 4-5 % who have wheat allergies , it is a food fad.

OK... let's say your numbers are accurate (even though the Celiac Disease numbers are probably a little low from what is actual). That would mean 5% of the population has to be wheat and/or gluten free. On a 6,000 passenger ship like Oasis that would mean there are 300 passengers who have to be wheat and/or gluten free.

Thanks for info posted here regarding GF options. This is a recent change for me and I am adjusting. We are booked on the Oasis in November and I contacted RCCL about my options, They stated waiters will assist in dining room which I was aware of. I was asking about the possibility of rolls, bread, pizza ect. They never responded to that but suggested I not go to buffet. I thought this was odd as dining room not an option at lunch times on port days. What have others done? Also I checked new menus and some of the options listed as GF do not appear to be GF. Example was a seafood pasta. Do they really have GF pasta? TIA

Chris

Dinner is well covered in the dining room. Just make sure to ask for the head waiter. They will take your order for the next night to make sure it is made safely in a dedicated area of the kitchen. A lot of the items can be altered to make them gluten free even if not listed (eg leave sauce off a steak which isn't listed as gluten free on the menu). They do have gluten free breads and pasta.

Breakfast it is usually also best to eat in the dining room. Again, request to speak with the head waiter. They have pancakes (usually chalky and awful unfortunately), omelets, bagels, etc. they can make and bring out to you.

Lunch is usually the toughest, especially on port days when the dining room is closed.

If you go to the Windjammer, ask to speak with a chef to see if they have time to make you something fresh which is safe. I wouldn't trust anything on the buffet due to the overwhelming chance of cross contamination. If the place is busy, you may have a long wait or a grumpy chef (or both).

Other options:

The pizza restaurant, Sorrento's, has gluten free pizza. They make it in a dedicated gluten free oven and use a dedicated pizza cutter. The pizzas are made and served in a one-time use foil pan to further help eliminate cross-contamination risks. Just go to the "make your own pizza" side of the line.

The Park Cafe also has GF bagels with a dedicated toaster for them. They can make you a roast beef sandwich on a toasted Udi's bagel. Just ask to speak with a supervisor.

Edited by UCF_Knight