The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

PRICE plain and simply. Cruising in 3 weeks on what was Carnival's newest ship 4 months ago. $419 DO 7 days. Can't beat it plus I get a butt load of perks because I'm PLATINUM. Nothing earth-shattering just nice things they are under no obligation to give me.:)

Having said that, most of those contributing to this thread are "upscale" cruisers and want a little something better in the way of perks for all the high end money they spend. In their estimation, Carnival doesn't do that as well as others. I can understand that and I'm certainly not humiliated by that as you seem to be.

Precisely.

If all your ships sail FULL . . . why give out a bunch of expensive perks and comps.

FWIW, the only time I cruised PRINCESS was the first cruise of the summer schedule for Alaskan cruises; Frequently cold and rainy (which most certainly was true for this cruise). I jumped on the "fill-the-ship" special because it was $286 DO 7-day ! Price was everything. Fantastic cruise and cruiseline by the way.:)

I can't figure out what the DO in your posts means.

gary

I honestly don't know, but hope springs eternal. Carnival was our "first" line, so it holds a special place with us and always will. Perhaps what I'm yearning for is simply not realistic --- I'd like to eat my cake and have it too! Not that I eat much cake any more, but when I do, it's going to be a VERY good slice of cake - read: heavy/dense!! :D

Tom

Tom, how as the suite (and the new ship) you did on HAL (have you done it yet)?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

This has been an interesting series of posts that made me think about several subjects:

* "Growing out" of less expensive cruise lines (and stores, and hotels, and other places and things)

* How important are suite perks, really?

* Carnival's offerings compared to the competition

* The return of the tiered system to cruising

* Why does Carnival only have two types of ships?

* The pros and cons of CCL providing one loyalty program for all its cruise lines

I won't put my thoughts here, mostly because 1) I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already has, and 2) nobody cares anyway. But I'd welcome others to start topics on such subjects.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

This has been an interesting series of posts that made me think about several subjects:

* "Growing out" of less expensive cruise lines (and stores, and hotels, and other places and things)

* How important are suite perks, really?

* Carnival's offerings compared to the competition

* The return of the tiered system to cruising

* The pros and cons of CCL providing one loyalty program for all its cruise lines

I won't put my thoughts here, mostly because 1) I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already has, and 2) nobody cares anyway. But I'd welcome others to start topics on such subjects.

When it's all said and done,it's not going to mount to a hill of beans. :D.

Two types of ships ?

Tom, how as the suite (and the new ship) you did on HAL (have you done it yet)?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Jim !!

We had booked the 11-night Thanksgiving sailing on the Koningsdam, and ended up cancelling it a couple of months ago. As you're likely aware it was to mark the 50-year return point to HAL - since I did a TA with my parents when I was a little tike back in '66.

Part of the reason we cancelled was over concern regarding HAL's smoking policies. The are one of the only lines still allowing balcony smoking - and we had some nice real estate on the back corner of that ship that I did not want to risk not being able to fully enjoy (we spend several hours/day on our balcony reading/relaxing) if we ended up with a chimney next door. It's happened, more than once, on past sailings. Another thing was their lack of suite perks, given what the cabin was going for. So, on both of those counts, I voted with my $'s.

We may still try HAL again in the future, they have a lot of great itineraries.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

NCL, in my experience, is the best example of a "ship within a ship", whereby the "Haven" area is much less crowded with a higher level of service.

It's not unreasonable, IMO, to expect some aspects of your vacation experience to be kicked up a notch when you're paying double, triple (etc.) what the average guest is paying.

Tom

LOVE the Haven!! NCL does do suites the best, out of the mainstream lines, IMO!:)

Which two are those?

One reason for having as much in common between ships is economies of scale. It allows Carnival to be the value leader and the envy of other cruise lines. It also helps passengers have a feeling of coming home, whatever the ship.

Not to be mistaken for multiple classes on a ship, whose time mostly came and went with the great ocean liners of the past, not to be confused with cruise ships of today. But it still comes down to economics and sustainability.

You must have misunderstood me. I would like to cruise OTHER Carnival brands with just the meager benefits Carnival gives me, by having my Carnival benefits CROSS OVER to that brand. Early embarkation would be nice for starters. The cruise I took on Princess reminded me so much of what Carnival USED TO BE LIKE. It would be nice to cruise on Princess (instead of RCCL, NCL and others) with all the Platinum benefits I've earned on Carnival.

While I'm Diamond on Carnival, when I sail Princess I don't expect ALL the benefits of the loyalty program when I sail Princess, even if the Princess cruise is a Med or Alaskan.

Like it you said, it would be nice, but realistically, I haven't earned anything on Princess, so I don't expect anything.

I can see it working the other way, top tier loyalty on Princess being afforded Diamond perks on Carnival.

Carnival at that time was a single cruise line. They now are one line of a much larger company, and play a certain roll with in that company. You are correct about the differences, but they are planned and executed differences. Carnival Cruise Line is positioned as an entry level product, to bring new people into cruising, and offer a low cost option. If Carnival ships offered the perks and experiences people often mention, than what would Princess, Holland America, and Cunard have to look like to create product difference. The company is building brands.

You are not correct about CCL being a "single cruise line" when the Spririt class ships came on the scene......Princess, HAL, Cunard etc all existed and for many years at that point. However, I do agree with your assertion that CCL is an "entry level product", thus they most likely do not care about suite perks as most entry level cruisers are probably not booking those cabins. However, from that standpoint, CCL is no longer 'entry level' in pricing IMHO. We have sailed RCI, Princess and NCL for A LOT less $$ than we are sailing the Vista in February.

They are only lower price point these on smaller older ships and on vacancies close to sailing date. As for filling suites, if you watch, most are still available weeks before sailing....thus the 'upsell' Fairy calls trying to fill them up as reported on many threads on CC!! They are NOT full or nearly full it seems ever w/o those 'upsell' calls. Thus an entire department at CCL devoted to 'upsell' calling??? :confused::confused:

Hi Jim !!

We had booked the 11-night Thanksgiving sailing on the Koningsdam, and ended up cancelling it a couple of months ago. As you're likely aware it was to mark the 50-year return point to HAL - since I did a TA with my parents when I was a little tike back in '66.

Part of the reason we cancelled was over concern regarding HAL's smoking policies. The are one of the only lines still allowing balcony smoking - and we had some nice real estate on the back corner of that ship that I did not want to risk not being able to fully enjoy (we spend several hours/day on our balcony reading/relaxing) if we ended up with a chimney next door. It's happened, more than once, on past sailings. Another thing was their lack of suite perks, given what the cabin was going for. So, on both of those counts, I voted with my $'s.

Tom

Ahhh, too bad, I would have appreciated the feedback. We are trying Azamara next year, sort of out of the blue..... Long story. Not sure when or where yet.

Sent from my iPhone

NCL, in my experience, is the best example of a "ship within a ship", whereby the "Haven" area is much less crowded with a higher level of service.

It's not unreasonable, IMO, to expect some aspects of your vacation experience to be kicked up a notch when you're paying double, triple (etc.) what the average guest is paying.

Tom

I thought the food in the Haven was even better than in the specialty restaurants. But my favorite thing about the Haven was being able to go to the hot tub and have it all to myself. It's not a matter of being forced to share with commoners. I don't like to share a hot tub with anyone who's going to talk to me! I like to sit in it with a glass of wine and let it bubble my back ache away! I Hate it when I have to have loud music and people jumping about in order to sit in a hot tub. So if this is being a snob I guess I am one.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Hi Jim !!

Tom

I'm reading posts that suggest that HAL has finally changed it's policy so maybe you'll be able to go sooner rather than later.

As for avoiding CCL because of no suite perks and no hot breakfast room service, well, I am happy with the prices I am paying for the product I am receiving. I wouldn't mind hot items being available on the room service menu, even with a surcharge, but I do like going up to the lido and bringing back DW her breakfast in bed. We aren't ready for the suit life yet but I am not sure I'd be booking it on CCL.

True, but they are just that. . . Rumors. I was asking for an official statement of fact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

The handwriting is on the wall. It is only a matter of time before RCCL Diamonds are "demoted" and booted from the lounge formally known as Diamond.

Edited by Karnyval

If you want extra cost dining, then NCL is the cruise line for you. :p

I find now to get a DECENT Dinner in MDR on Carnival I have to spend $20 a night to get a good steak.

MDR every night steak on NCL is comparable to the $20 steak on CCL .

I feel like I'm at Denny's @ sea when I'm in the MDR on CCL on regular nights.

On NCL I enjoy the MDR I only eat 1 night in Moderno because the meal is Comped with a FREE bottle of Wine with over 50 choices & I get that PERK EVERY cruise

Interesting. We quit booking with NCL specifically due to their incredibly mediocre main dining room food. While specialty dining on NCL was always good, the main dining room had reached barely edible levels. The reset of the cruise experience on NCL was ok, not great, but ok.

We have no brand loyalty and will call out any line including Carnival when need be.

Maybe one could sail on Oceania, or Crystal. Of course it is harder to be "Top Dog" on those lines, which based on comments about price and spending, seems to be the real issue. :rolleyes:

Mass market lines make their money from the masses. Plain and simple.

Looking for special perks or treatment on Carnival is like looking for the same while dining in at McDonalds. If you want perks go to Princess, Celebrity, or Holland America. The Wal Mart of cruising isn't where you'll find what you seek.

I find that comment disdained. Different lines appeal to different people. If you are cruising for just perks and suites, then thats your choice but do not knock others who like carnival. I have sailed both RCI and Carnival and differences with both. If you main complaint is perks and suites, then it proves that you need to get out of that room and live a little. You must be the people we see sitting in the chairs moping all the time.

Simple fix, cruise with another line that toots your fancy.

Edited by cruzin Phillis

Tried the hot breakfast delivered to the stateroom on both Royal and Celebrity - inconsistent at best; inedible at worst.

I understand how little things make people choose one line over another.

One of the big reasons I choose Carnival more often (and for longer cruises) is the comfort of their beds. If I can't get a good night sleep, I'm fine for a 4-6 night cruise but longer and I start having real problems. I had been looking at a 14 repositioning cruise on the Vision of the seas but I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing it would take two weeks of sleeping pills.

Hot breakfast in your cabin or suite perks may not mean much to me (or many other posters) but obviously it does to the OP.

Personally, I prefer that Carnival doesn't offer the hot breakfasts to the cabin. I might be tempted to try it and expect that like on other lines, I'd be disappointed with it.

Plus, I'd rather wander down to the MDR and have brunch. But maybe that's just me. :D

From my standpoint, Carnival was at its peak with the Spirit class of ships - aft corner suites with huge balconies and a two story Supper Club! Oh yes, the Supper Clubs - with their live music!

Tom

Agreed....their newer ship have many niceties which you've mentioned (Guys, Ji Ji's, the Steakhouse, etc) but you still can't beat those corner aft suites the Spirit Class ships - IMHO!