New Here

TullMan

Depends what kind of ship you are looking for. Oasis is out of PC year round while the smaller more intimate Brilliance sails during the winter out of Tampa.

I want a relaxing cruise with interesting ports. I want a simple cabin with a window or balcony with as few drunken people as possible. I enjoy a drink from time to time but CCL seems to have made that their target demographic.

I want a relaxing cruise with interesting ports. I want a simple cabin with a window or balcony with as few drunken people as possible. I enjoy a drink from time to time but CCL seems to have made that their target demographic.

You are on the Royal Caribbean boards. Is that where you wish to post? I believe a more traditional cruise will be more for you, correct?

Edited by Ocean Dancer

I have never sailed Carnival so don't have anything to compare it to, but I would choose Oasis out of Port Canaveral over Majesty. Majesty is much older and smaller. It has its following but I prefer a newer ship with more options.

Hey Tullman,

Welcome to RCI cruising.

We love, LOVE going out of Tampa. The cruises are great, mostly Western of course, we use Tampa a lot on accounta it's cheap for us to fly there from Neu Yawk.

We always stay at the Hilton Ybor the night before. Free shuttle to the port and GREAT restaurants nearby in Ybor City.

Give it a shot.

The bridge in the Tampa port limits the size ships that can go out of Tampa. The destinations I believe are more limited... eg Key West (which I love) and Cozumel. As I recall they stop sailing out of Tampa sometime in April... and the ship moves. This may not be the case in 2017. We had a very nice 5 day cruise on Brilliance. I love this class ship.

Next year Oasis will go out of Port C. I have not sailed out of there for quite a while, but the Oasis Class ship is something to experience. Despite its size it does not feel as large as it is. We prefer an ocean view balcony cabin, but I would love to try one of the inside balcony cabins just to see what it is like. Central park area seems like it would be more quiet than the boardwalk section of the ship.

something to consider. The Radiance class ship... like Brilliance has a lot of ocean views throughout the public parts of the ship. On the Oasis class ships, if an ocean view is important you really are going to be happier with an ocean view cabin, because there are limited ocean views in the public areas. One of the limitations of this class.

I loved departing from Tampa. At the time my husband was recovering from knee surgery and when I pulled up to drop off luggage they had valet service. I am very cheap, but decided to try this. It was a bit more expensive, but when we arrived back in Tampa we had our car very quickly... turns out we could see it from the ship.

Both the Radiance class ship and Oasis class have their pluses. One thing I really liked about sailing out of Tampa, was that on the first night we had dinner at Portofino's... a specialty restaurant... we were one of perhaps six couples in the restaurant...and we ate as the sun went down as we watched the ship slowly sale out of the large Tampa bay. Alas there is no such view in the speciatly restaurants on Oasis

Great insights - we haven't been on Oasis yet - and haven't been out of Tampa either. I think any 4-5 day cruise might have the demographic where Drinking might be out of hand potentially. longer cruises not during spring break on either line are more relaxing.

Betty

The bridge in the Tampa port limits the size ships that can go out of Tampa. The destinations I believe are more limited... eg Key West (which I love) and Cozumel. As I recall they stop sailing out of Tampa sometime in April... and the ship moves. This may not be the case in 2017. We had a very nice 5 day cruise on Brilliance. I love this class ship.

Next year Oasis will go out of Port C. I have not sailed out of there for quite a while, but the Oasis Class ship is something to experience. Despite its size it does not feel as large as it is. We prefer an ocean view balcony cabin, but I would love to try one of the inside balcony cabins just to see what it is like. Central park area seems like it would be more quiet than the boardwalk section of the ship.

something to consider. The Radiance class ship... like Brilliance has a lot of ocean views throughout the public parts of the ship. On the Oasis class ships, if an ocean view is important you really are going to be happier with an ocean view cabin, because there are limited ocean views in the public areas. One of the limitations of this class.

I loved departing from Tampa. At the time my husband was recovering from knee surgery and when I pulled up to drop off luggage they had valet service. I am very cheap, but decided to try this. It was a bit more expensive, but when we arrived back in Tampa we had our car very quickly... turns out we could see it from the ship.

Both the Radiance class ship and Oasis class have their pluses. One thing I really liked about sailing out of Tampa, was that on the first night we had dinner at Portofino's... a specialty restaurant... we were one of perhaps six couples in the restaurant...and we ate as the sun went down as we watched the ship slowly sale out of the large Tampa bay. Alas there is no such view in the speciatly restaurants on Oasis

Great insights - we haven't been on Oasis yet - and haven't been out of Tampa either. I think any 4-5 day cruise might have the demographic where Drinking might be out of hand potentially. longer cruises not during spring break on either line are more relaxing.

Betty

I had not considered that. The Brilliance trip we took was the last sailing before the ship headed to Europe. I did not notice it being a party boat. Now we are diamond so we were in the Diamond lounge a lot and did not hang out by the pool so we might have missed that. One interesting observation on this trip was that the diamond lounge was filled with Europeans. Turns out many of them lived in Florida during the winter and did the crossing and our cruise... in the spring. It was cheaper than flying home for the summer and fall. Now that is the life. While I really like the Oasis class, I miss the Viking lounge and its panoramic views. Really enjoy spending time there. On Oasis we tended to either sit on our balcony or in the diamond lounge with its limited ocean view. I am not a sun person, so the pool and solarium were not places we hung out at. As I say my only negative comments about Oasis is lack of ocean views from public areas like bars and restaurants...

Rhapsody (sailing from Tampa in the winter) seems like it would be a good choice for you, also. She does 7 night cruises. Rhapsody is smaller and intimate, more relaxed atmosphere than the larger ships.

Oasis would be great too, but its a huge ship and can require a busy schedule. Very family friendly.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Pretty much anything over a 3-4 nighter will NOT have a "frat party" atmosphere...so no worries there. Any cruise line with a short "weekend" cruise will have lots of partiers....the longer the cruise, the more sedate the passengers