Lost luggage

joern

Hi

Just wondering:

We are boarding MSC Splendida in Barcelona. Have booked flight with Lufthansa from Copenhagen with only 40 minutes transfer in Zurich. What happens if our bags don't arrive in time in Barcelona? In a normal holiday they will just deliver the bagage to the hotel, but what do they do when it's a cruise and if the ship has left Barcelona when the bags arrive?

Off course I'm trusting that this will not happen, but would just like to know what to do in worst case scenario ;-)

If your bags don't make it, you tell the airline at Barcelona your cruise schedule. They may forward your luggage to your next stop on the cruise. We see this many times on cruises- a small pile of luggage at the first stop as we tie up. There is sometimes a small pile at the second and third stops as well.

Edited by CruiserBruce

but what do they do when it's a cruise and if the ship has left Barcelona when the bags arrive?

Off course I'm trusting that this will not happen, but would just like to know what to do in worst case scenario ;-)

If your bags don't make it, you tell the airline at Barcelona your cruise schedule. They may forward your luggage to your next stop on the cruise. We see this many times on cruises- a small pile of luggage at the first stop as we tie up. There is sometimes a small pile at the second and third stops as well.

All I can say is good luck! I'm sure there are stories of people who actually did get their luggage at the next port, but I personally know of 3 people whose bags didn't make it.

1. Flights were fouled up and BF's nephew boarded ship without his bags. Gave airline his itinerary (med cruise) and they said they'd get the bags to the next port. Never happened. He finally got bags about a month after returning home. He could tell from the assorted tags the bags had followed his itinerary but probably always a day or two behind. Ship gave him some t-shirts, laundry coupons, and I think a discount on tux rental for formal nights.

2. Summer, eastern med cruise, 2 friends also had fouled up flights due to weather and boarded the ship without bags, even thought they had planned to arrive in departure city 2 days prior. One actually got his bags delivered to him on the last day of the cruise. The other got her bags over a month after she got home. Same story as above- airline kept saying "they'll be at the next port" but they weren't. No doubt they got sent there, but probably via connecting flights, i.e. each time they were going back to Paris or Amsterdam, then getting sent back to the next port, and that plus the fact that upon arrival someone had to actually give a damn, look at the tags, arrange for ground transport etc. they never actually go to the ship before it left again and the process started all over again. Male friend made it to Istanbul 2 days prior and found a store to buy some basic things. Female friend didn't end up arriving til the day before and had more trouble finding a suitable store, as some places were closed for a post-Ramadan holiday. Then the ship over-nighted in Istanbul so the ship's stores weren't open so it was a couple days before she could buy a few things onboard. She borrowed a few things from friends (there was a whole group of us) and again, I think the ship gave her a t-shirt or two and laundry coupons.

Bottom line: with only a 40 min connection, I'd be concerned. That's tight, and even if you make the flight your bags might not. If you don't make the flight and get re-routed, who knows if your bags will get re-routed with you?! At the very least, I'd pack what I could in a rollaboard so you have a couple changes of clothes with you.

It can happen even with a long layover time. That's why it is important to have at least a few days of clothing and your toiletries, electronics, medication, and makeup in your carry on. Put some thought into it and pack versatile separates and you should be able to pack three days worth of clothing including smart casual (including a jacket and tie) for dinner. Wear the sports coat and bulkiest shoes on the plane.

Have booked flight with Lufthansa from Copenhagen with only 40 minutes transfer in Zurich.

This confuses me. Lufthansa doesn't fly from Copenhagen to Zurich, nor from Zurich to Barcelona.

The only airline that does fly that route is Swiss International, which coincidentally is owned by Lufthansa, so I think you've purchased a "codeshare" ticket - one sold by Airline A (in this case Lufthansa) but actually using planes operated by Airline B (Swiss.) Look on your reservation confirmation to see if the words "operated by Swiss International" turn up somewhere. If so, then (important) you'd check in at the Swiss desks at CPH, not Lufthansa's.

An intra-Schengen same-airline connection through very efficient ZRH would be quite safe on the baggage front, I'd assume. Still, it's good advice above - pack a carry-on with a couple of days' supplies just in case.

Edited by Gardyloo

Thanks for all the replies.

As mentioned, I don't think that we will have problems, but now I know what to do if it happens - And in worst case the travel insurance covers new clothes etc

Thanks for all the replies.

As mentioned, I don't think that we will have problems, but now I know what to do if it happens - And in worst case the travel insurance covers new clothes etc

Except that you then have to find a place to buy those clothes. Not always so easy in port cities, and you lose a lot of your tour time doing so.

Lufthsnsa has a rather small carry on allowance but it's enough to include a few changes of clothing if one plans carefully. Mix and match, forget about shoes for each outfit and make sure what you do carry on can be easily washed and versitle enough for day and night. While this may not be the wardrobe you had hoped to travel with, it sure beats just the clothes on your back!

My theory is if you plan for the worst, it probably won't happen but if it does, you are prepared. Have a great cruise!

When our luggage didn't arrive for our med cruise, we filled out the paperwork at FCO...they said this happens all the time. We received it 4 days later at the port of Barcelona...the ship's port agent picked it up at the airport and it was delivered to our stateroom. We got lucky, some never got their's.

I cannot overstate the importance of essentials (as previously mentioned) in your carryon. The ship was wonderful in providing us with quick laundry service and the customer relations officer sent daily messages about the whereabouts of the luggage. They ship clothing shop went out of their way to get clothes for us.

We saved all our receipts for the travel insurance claim. It was traumatic, but we were determined not to let it ruin our cruise, and were amazed at how little one actually needs.

I always put a copy of our cruise/flight itinerary in our luggage right on top in plain sight just in case.

Good Luck.....hope your luggage arrives when you do!

Karen

Lufthsnsa has a rather small carry on allowance but it's enough to include a few changes of clothing if one plans carefully. Mix and match, forget about shoes for each outfit and make sure what you do carry on can be easily washed and versitle enough for day and night. While this may not be the wardrobe you had hoped to travel with, it sure beats just the clothes on your back!

My theory is if you plan for the worst, it probably won't happen but if it does, you are prepared. Have a great cruise!

Agree with this advice. I am a rather hard to fit size so I pack my carry on with a wardrobe of things that certainly wouldn't be my ideal vacation wardrobe, but with a few key purchases in port could stretch me for several days without luggage. They are basic items that I could dress up or down easily such as a black shift dress, a navy and white sailor inspired sundress, bathing suit, black pants, bras and makeup foundation and concealer. I can always pick up easy fitting tops, scarves, costume jewelry, shorts, sandals, costume jewelry, t-shirts, pajamas and other parts of my makeup routine.

Another good piece of advice is to cross pack among your travel companions. Hopefully not all your luggage will be lost/delayed.

A great idea we read about here on CC a few years ago (wish we could claim the idea!).

For each traveler, put at least a few clothing items in someone else's checked luggage.

That way, if only one piece of luggage doesn't make it, there will at least be a few things that 'fit', until you find other clothing or the delayed luggage catches up.

And as mentioned, ALWAYS keep your essential meds with you, and also any valuables (if you decide you need to travel with them).

We also have a distinctive (and matching) combo of ribbons and tape on each piece of checked luggage.

Not only does that help us ID each piece on a carousel quickly, but it also lessens the chance that someone else will "grab the wrong black wheeled bag".

Agree with this advice. I am a rather hard to fit size so I pack my carry on with a wardrobe of things that certainly wouldn't be my ideal vacation wardrobe, but with a few key purchases in port could stretch me for several days without luggage. They are basic items that I could dress up or down easily such as a black shift dress, a navy and white sailor inspired sundress, bathing suit, black pants, bras and makeup foundation and concealer. I can always pick up easy fitting tops, scarves, costume jewelry, shorts, sandals, costume jewelry, t-shirts, pajamas and other parts of my makeup routine.

This sounds very similar to what I do. Even on short domestic flights I make sure I have the bare essentials in my purse in case I get unexpectedly stranded in my connection city overnight. For me that means a powder foundation, eye shadow base/concealer and eyeliner pencil. In an emergency I can live without other make up items and cosmetics, or pick up a couple things at a drugstore/Hudson News. I also make sure I have a wide-toothed comb and a hair tie, as well as an extra pair of underwear. I figure I can always grab a t-shirt in the airport if I have to. For international trips, where it might A) be longer before I am reunited with my bag and B) more difficult to buy replacements since I'm not familiar with the area and the stores, I also put a few basic clothing items in my carry-on that I could get by with by mixing and matching them with what I'm wearing and other things that are easy to pick up. A black skort and a dressy pair of jeans, can go a long way in a pinch by combining with a couple basic tees or camis and a simple cardigan and scarf!