Princess getting strict on what you pack

Kimmer727

I've attached the Princess Safety information PDF letter which includes this statement: "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you". So that could explain confiscating power strips which most likely are surge protected & are hazardous onboard a ship.

The reasons for not using any type of a surge protected device has been discussed on CC threads & a cruise ship chief engineer has explained why they are dangerous. Even though the Princess statement is that extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms, he has explained why any device with surge protection is hazardous on a ship. I am thankful that he explained the dangers of these devices & I now have a multiple plug/USB non surge protected device (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MF40F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It doesn't state that curling irons or hair curlers are prohibited.

Thank you this is great information. Can you tell me if the plug on the Monster outlet swivel? On some ships the outlet is so low you wouldn't be able to use this one.

Thank you this is great information. Can you tell me if the plug on the Monster outlet swivel? On some ships the outlet is so low you wouldn't be able to use this one.

I checked mine & the plug does not swivel like my Belkin device which I now longer use because it's surge protected. I have 2 of the Monster devices & have used them at both desk & TV outlets.

My grandson has asthma and needs to travel with his "breathing machine ". Only once have they asked about it. My daughter packs it in their checked luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't that risky to pack medical equipment in checked luggage?

I would be worried if the luggage ever got misplaced.

Can you point to where you have read this?

This was a review of the ISLAND Princess from "marthabro":

Since this was a repositioning short term cruise the service was inconsistent. We didn't get our coffee cards delivered until three trips to the Service Desk. We didn't meet our steward until late in the afternoon but we dropped our carry on and went straight to the Dining Room for lunch and then walked around. After muster I still had no luggage but I had a nice note from Security to come see them about my luggage. They did not like my power strip and took it away. Lots of people were down there getting appliances removed. First time in 29 years that has happened to me. Our Steward had just been reassigned to our floor and suites so he was figuring it out. He worked hard to make us happy.

Isn't that risky to pack medical equipment in checked luggage?

I would be worried if the luggage ever got misplaced.

I said the same to my daughter.

This was a review of the ISLAND Princess from "marthabro":

Since this was a repositioning short term cruise the service was inconsistent. We didn't get our coffee cards delivered until three trips to the Service Desk. We didn't meet our steward until late in the afternoon but we dropped our carry on and went straight to the Dining Room for lunch and then walked around. After muster I still had no luggage but I had a nice note from Security to come see them about my luggage. They did not like my power strip and took it away. Lots of people were down there getting appliances removed. First time in 29 years that has happened to me. Our Steward had just been reassigned to our floor and suites so he was figuring it out. He worked hard to make us happy.

One review? That hardly seems like a fleet-wide problem.

Point of view.They are only trying to keep everyone safe.

Remember the big fire on Star Princess a few years ago.?

Also we could be in the ocean many miles from shore were they have instant response from local fire departments.

If folks insist on bringing electrical devises on board please make certain auto shut off plus the connecting power bars and plugs are good quality like 'Monster' which have added security.Yes I know they are expensive but if you can afford the price of a cruise you can also have consideration for the safety of all passengers and crew.

Rant over but I do not regret it.......Heather:)

Edited by kruisey

I'm just off the Ruby and there was no problem bringing on a curling iron and hot rollers. The curling iron has an auto shutoff, but the hot rollers do not. I always pack these items in my carry-on bag. If security did have a question, it's much easier, IMHO, to have those items with one, rather than in a checked bag.

I am thinking of packing a small electric kettle with auto shut off for our Baltic cruise next year.

In our cabin on Diamond in SE ASIA last year I asked the steward for one and he brought it to us no problem.

We used it every morning for tea and Via (Starbucks coffee packets)

Wish they had them on every ship.

I have used one on each cruise I have been on --it has an auto shut-off. However it was confiscated by the room steward's supervisor on our 2016 Star Princess cruise. I was told it was the Captain's policy. I chose not to argue but did send a note to Princess customer service after the cruise to clarify that if an item is confiscated to leave a note as to the ship's policy.

Sorry I brought it up.

I'm thankful that you brought it up because this discussion is making passengers aware of the dangers of using surge protected devices.

The post you read shows that at least on the Island they're enforcing what's stated in their Safety Information which includes "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not permitted in your stateroom".

Was the information from "marthabro" about the Island posted on this forum or on the CC review page for the Island? If it was on the review page there's no way to verify what type of appliances were being removed. If they were "non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters" or surge protected extension cords they are specifically prohibited.

However your original post stating that they're confiscating curling irons is an assumption that is the type of appliances being confiscated & adds confusion to this discussion.

I have read in several reviews that Princess is now confiscating power strips and curling irons. My hot rollers are a must for me on a cruise and I am wondering if anyone has experienced having their rollers / curling irons taken out of their luggage recently.
Edited by Astro Flyer

Just got off through Grand had my curling iron. No problem didn't even know there was a question about bringing it. No surge protector though but brought a 4 prong phone charger that we plugged our 2 phones & Galaxy notes into. Had it on the desk the whole time. My curling iron could not be plugged into outlet in batroom. Used the plug at the desk.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Just got off through Grand had my curling iron. No problem didn't even know there was a question about bringing it. No surge protector though but brought a 4 prong phone charger that we plugged our 2 phones & Galaxy notes into. Had it on the desk the whole time. My curling iron could not be plugged into outlet in batroom. Used the plug at the desk.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Well you have heard about the latest Galaxy Note and fire? Please buy a Surge Protector....Thank you:)

Never had a problem with the curling iron. I did bring one and on day 2 the iron quit working. I have a new one that I'll bring. Never had a problem with the extra outlet to charge our phones and pads. It has 2 electrical outlets and 2 USB ports and is not surge protected.

The lady did not bring one on board according to her thread. Did I misread?:confused:

I don't think you are misreading. You are just misunderstanding. While it might be the case that a surge protector could have prevented or lessened the issue with the lady's phone, that does not negate the fact that ship engineers have determined that surge protectors, on balance, do more harm than good and can seriously muck up the electrical works. So NO SURGE PROTECTORS. If one thinks that one needs a surge protector to guard against the issues created by a specific device, (such as a Note7), the solution isn't to take a surge protector on board. It is to leave the offending device at home.