Princess getting strict on what you pack

Kimmer727

Well you have heard about the latest Galaxy Note and fire? Please buy a Surge Protector....Thank you:)

Its a battery wiring problem on the Note 7 phone. No surge protector is going to make any difference as to whether it catches fire.

I don't think you are misreading. You are just misunderstanding. While it might be the case that a surge protector could have prevented or lessened the issue with the lady's phone, that does not negate the fact that ship engineers have determined that surge protectors, on balance, do more harm than good and can seriously muck up the electrical works. So NO SURGE PROTECTORS. If one thinks that one needs a surge protector to guard against the issues created by a specific device, (such as a Note7), the solution isn't to take a surge protector on board. It is to leave the offending device at home.

CCL allows them on board, but forbids them to be turned on or charged. Suggests keeping them locked in the cabin safe.

Edited by caribill

Slightly off topic but we are bringing 4 bottles of a favorite wine and champagne (2/2) for our 10 day trip. I have no problem paying the $15 per bottle charge if deemed but has anyone ever been denied bringing on extra ?

There is no such thing as "extra". Since there is no limitation on the number of bottles you can bring on board, then none of those bottles could be considered "extra". When the volume of something is unlimited, there can never be a point where the limit has been reached making additional volume "extra". Instead of thinking of this in terms of a "limit with extras", think of it in terms of "free and paid". There have been no reports of "paid" bottles being disallowed at the port of embarkation. Princess has the system pretty well down pat.

Thank you this is great information. Can you tell me if the plug on the Monster outlet swivel? On some ships the outlet is so low you wouldn't be able to use this one.

We purchased one of these recently for our upcoming cruises after reading that the cruise lines seem to be scrutinizing power strips/chargers/etc. more closely these days:

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8M102-Belkin/p/P-F8M102/

It is not surge protected, it has an AC outlet so you're not losing the use of an outlet with this plugged in and it rotates 360 degrees so it does not block a second wall outlet (if there is one). We also found it cheaper on Amazon.

There is no such thing as "extra". Since there is no limitation on the number of bottles you can bring on board, then none of those bottles could be considered "extra". When the volume of something is unlimited, there can never be a point where the limit has been reached making additional volume "extra". Instead of thinking of this in terms of a "limit with extras", think of it in terms of "free and paid". There have been no reports of "paid" bottles being disallowed at the port of embarkation. Princess has the system pretty well down pat.

What?? Is it not the "rule" of one 750ml bottle per person per cruise? We have brought one as many as 8 at a time but they were boxed and had a cabin label on the box and no one blinked. This time we plan on carrying the 4 on with us and even though they were lax in the past, things are tightening. Forgive my denseness.

Ban curling irons, how many females would travel without this essential:confused:.

I know many women, myself included, who don't consider it an essential. I haven't owned one in probably 15 years & my hair is currently too short to use one (about 1 1/2 inches & I'm in need of a haircut).

What?? Is it not the "rule" of one 750ml bottle per person per cruise?.

No. The rule is one free bottle per adult per cruise and unlimited additional bottles at $15 per bottle. If two adults bring eight bottles, a fee of $90 (6 × $15) will be collected at the time of boarding charged to your on board account. If the free bottles are consumed in a public venue, they too will be assessed a $15 fee at the time of consumption. Wine should be carried on and not placed in checked bags.

This is what is printed on your luggage tags:

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or

champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

I know many women, myself included, who don't consider it an essential. I haven't owned one in probably 15 years & my hair is currently too short to use one (about 1 1/2 inches & I'm in need of a haircut).

Well, there you go. You have very short hair. However, you are in the minority on short hair length.

Regardless, I suggested to Mrs. XBGuy that she investigate hot rollers with an automatic "off" feature. Her inititial check with Amazon has turned up nothing. Do such things exist?

I have never seen hot rollers with automatic "off" switch. On our last cruise, on DISNEY Wonder - they did take our hot rollers out of our suitcases and left them at the terminal!! We had to go to lost and found counter after we got off the ship and retrieve them - what a pain that was. I have never had Princess take them on any cruise I have been on - but a recent review of the Island Princess - someone said they are starting to take curling irons .etc. We are going on the Crown next month - so I guess that will be the "test" to see if they get through. :cool:

I have not seen hot rollers that I'd be willing to carry that have an on and off switch. Maybe some of the large sets do. No travel-sized one that I know of.

Just off the Crown. I carried a power strip that is simply an extension cord, no on/off switch and not a surge protector. It was not confiscated. Neither were my hot rollers or the surge protector that I carried for the hotel stays. It's only a travel set of five. I plug it in. When hot, unplug it. The rollers stay hot enough to use twice.

Of course they could change policy.

That is abysmal treatment by Disney.

I've attached the Princess Safety information PDF letter which includes this statement: "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms. The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you". So that could explain confiscating power strips which most likely are surge protected & are hazardous onboard a ship.

The reasons for not using any type of a surge protected device has been discussed on CC threads & a cruise ship chief engineer has explained why they are dangerous. Even though the Princess statement is that extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms, he has explained why any device with surge protection is hazardous on a ship. I am thankful that he explained the dangers of these devices & I now have a multiple plug/USB non surge protected device (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MF40F6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It doesn't state that curling irons or hair curlers are prohibited.

Thanks for recommending the device made by Monster, it was inexpensive and arrived quickly and is already in my suitcase for my upcoming cruise on the beautiful Royal Princess!

Thanks for recommending the device made by Monster, it was inexpensive and arrived quickly and is already in my suitcase for my upcoming cruise on the beautiful Royal Princess!

Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed using it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

How do you know that? Where's the data? I also happen to have short hair ........

Data? I have eyes and anywhere I go the vast majority of women in the room or area THAT I SEE don't have hair under an inch. I didn't say no women do, I said that I believe there are more woman with 1-1/2 inches and longer hair.

Maybe we live in different places. I'm just relating MY opinion based on MY experiences living in the greater Los Angeles area.

I have just been reading American Coast guard and Home security .They are for in home, land use only. they advise not to bring Surge protectors on board.

Personally I was shocked when I read about curling irons on board probably due to the fact i was in an electrical fire in the roof which took 20 minutes to fully engulf...I believe one has to be in that situation to really understand terror.:eek:

Reading the specs it's not surge protected so it's allowed & 85% of the reviews are the top rated 5-stars. It appears to be a good option for someone who wants an extension cord but I don't need a 3' cord & instead will use the small devices that plug directly into a cabin's socket.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Reading the specs it's not surge protected so it's allowed & 85% of the reviews are the top rated 5-stars. It appears to be a good option for someone who wants an extension cord but I don't need a 3' cord & instead will use the small devices that plug directly into a cabin's socket.

I thought it may be useful to plug in behind the TV. We have to use one of outlets for DH's CPAP so the small block of outlets by the dressing table gets crowded.

I thought it may be useful to plug in behind the TV. We have to use one of outlets for DH's CPAP so the small block of outlets by the dressing table gets crowded.

Then it'll be good for you! :)

I've read posts about how some passengers use a CPAP but don't recall the details. A friend used a longer extension cord & if I recall correctly he could plug the cord into a socket under the bed on the Regal.

If you're not aware of it, you can request distilled water from Princess & my friend got it for free for his CPAP.

I'll finally weigh in on this thread, though Astro Flyer has done a lot of the heavy lifting here.

One thing I have found in my research of USB chargers, and this works both ways, is that you cannot rely on the information published on websites like Amazon to be totally accurate with regards to whether an item is surge protected or not. I have even found that the manufacturers' websites aren't always accurate, and have had to contact many of them directly. And when I say this goes both ways, some claims of surge protection are not correct, they are actually "voltage regulated" or "over-voltage protected" which is not the same thing. It is interesting that the Tessan unit in question shows one opened and the guts somewhat visible. Off hand, I don't see one of the tell-tale round blue MOV's that a surge protector uses in its circuitry, but the view isn't the best.

One thing I have found is that any multi-USB charger that has only a two prong plug is not surge protected, regardless of claims, as there needs to be a connection to ground for a surge protector.

I have also found that most items that combine a power outlet with USB ports, will be surge protected and have a three prong plug. Now, just having a three prong plug does not automatically mean a device is surge protected, but it is a hint.

I have not researched the Monster unit Astro Flyer recommends, nor the Belkin one that joepeka recommends, but be warned that both Monster and Belkin have many items in their catalogs that are surge protected, and only a few that aren't, so watch closely.

The best I can offer is to read the packaging carefully for words like: "joules of protection", "clamping voltage" or protection guarantees for your electronics. These are tip-offs of a surge suppressor. It also pays to find the manufacturer's website, and contact them directly for information as to whether the item you are interested in is surge protected or not.

Ban curling irons, how many females would travel without this essential:confused:.

Well, I realize I am an exception to the rule of females. I have naturally curly hair so the hair dryer and a brush works well for me when traveling. I like to travel light anyway so I never take a curling iron or rollers with me. So no problem for me! :D

I'll finally weigh in on this thread, though Astro Flyer has done a lot of the heavy lifting here.

One thing I have found in my research of USB chargers, and this works both ways, is that you cannot rely on the information published on websites like Amazon to be totally accurate with regards to whether an item is surge protected or not. I have even found that the manufacturers' websites aren't always accurate, and have had to contact many of them directly. And when I say this goes both ways, some claims of surge protection are not correct, they are actually "voltage regulated" or "over-voltage protected" which is not the same thing. It is interesting that the Tessan unit in question shows one opened and the guts somewhat visible. Off hand, I don't see one of the tell-tale round blue MOV's that a surge protector uses in its circuitry, but the view isn't the best.

One thing I have found is that any multi-USB charger that has only a two prong plug is not surge protected, regardless of claims, as there needs to be a connection to ground for a surge protector.

I have also found that most items that combine a power outlet with USB ports, will be surge protected and have a three prong plug. Now, just having a three prong plug does not automatically mean a device is surge protected, but it is a hint.

I have not researched the Monster unit Astro Flyer recommends, nor the Belkin one that joepeka recommends, but be warned that both Monster and Belkin have many items in their catalogs that are surge protected, and only a few that aren't, so watch closely.

The best I can offer is to read the packaging carefully for words like: "joules of protection", "clamping voltage" or protection guarantees for your electronics. These are tip-offs of a surge suppressor. It also pays to find the manufacturer's website, and contact them directly for information as to whether the item you are interested in is surge protected or not.

Hi Chief, I had checked with Belkin on the device I mention above because none of the documentation on the product indicated it was capable of surge suppression. Belkin Tech Support told me via phone that this model of swivel pass through AC outlet/USB charger did not have surge suppression.

Edited by joepeka