would you let 3 teenage girls....

Liza555

Maybe Jamaicans are getting less rude, and offering pot to everyone. Perhaps that's why they overstayed. Overcome by the hospitality of the locals.

Nice of you to lighten up the thread.

Pot would be the least of my worries.

Don't buy a conch shell to carry on the ship.........that's a known way how they sell it to you.

The water is safe to drink, one of the few that is. I think Dominica is another one with safe, pure water.

Jerk chicken is awesome if you can get to one of the venders cooking it without being bombarded by locals screaming in your ear, grabbing your hand and clothes and wanting a tip to cross the street.

I would not want to end up in a Jamaican hospital in an emergency.

Jamaica is a beautiful Island in most parts, but if you need emergency assistance by local police or hospitals, don't count on it.

If you need above assistance in the USA, UK, Germany, or most other countries mentioned, that help is readily available. Big Difference.

I had a teenage daughter who wanted to go on an excursion with other teens and I said NO! I have no regret! Did watch the movie "TAKEN"? A foreign country is entirely different animal! The laws are different and the culture is different. Even adults make bad choices not knowing what is really taking place. To ensure you see your daughters again, hang tough. That is what parenting is all about!:):)

So, when they are 50, will they finally be let out of the cage? How will they learn about the world between now and then? How will they be prepared without real life experience? Preparing kids for adulthood is what parenting is about. A foreign country = Denmark, Ireland, Wales, Sweden, Australia. Are these places a completely different animal? Yes, because they are probably statistically safer than your hometown. And probably have a higher standard of English language.

Going by your reckoning, foreigners who visit your hometown shouldn't let their adult children out of their sight, because it is patently unsafe, being foreign and all. :confused:

Nice of you to lighten up the thread.

Pot would be the least of my worries.

Don't buy a conch shell to carry on the ship.........that's a known way how they sell it to you.

The water is safe to drink, one of the few that is. I think Dominica is another one with safe, pure water.

Jerk chicken is awesome if you can get to one of the venders cooking it without being bombarded by locals screaming in your ear, grabbing your hand and clothes and wanting a tip to cross the street.

I would not want to end up in a Jamaican hospital in an emergency.

Jamaica is a beautiful Island in most parts, but if you need emergency assistance by local police or hospitals, don't count on it.

If you need above assistance in the USA, UK, Germany, or most other countries mentioned, that help is readily available. Big Difference.

So they sell you what you think is a shell, but fill it full of pot without telling you. A bit of a surprise gift? Jamaica is looking up. Zika or no Zika. Hep A or no. :rolleyes:

I really shouldn't be surprised by so many of these comments, as I have noticed that parents now days over protect their children, and do not give them the opportunity to be adventurous, and live life, as we "boomers" did. Hell, my hubby went to Woodstock with several of his friends in 1969 at age 20, while I flew alone cross country to visit friends. People, the OP said the kids were 17, 19 and 20. All perfectly able to handle a cruise sponsored excursion with a gang of other people. They are not pre-teens, or other youth. These kids are on the cusp of adulthood, for goodness sake! Unless they come from a "helicopter" environment and don't have a clue what to do on their own.

I think enough has been said on the subject. The OP was unsure and asked for advice. I'm sure they are plenty terrified right now to ever let those kids out on their own. And yes, I have seen Taken, but are you going to let your fears keep you from living life? Thank goodness I raised all 5 of my well adjusted children in the 70s and 80s before fear took hold of everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So they sell you what you think is a shell, but fill it full of pot without telling you. A bit of a surprise gift? Jamaica is looking up. Zika or no Zika. Hep A or no. :rolleyes:

I've seen it happen. There was a couple in front of us waiting to go through security. Conch shells were lined up at our feet.

" Buy pretty shell for pretty wife, buy this one for nice surprise for later, only $10 more."

Our daughter in law told us what the nice surprise was. And these locals KNOW we are getting on a cruise ship within minutes.

I really shouldn't be surprised by so many of these comments, as I have noticed that parents now days over protect their children, and do not give them the opportunity to be adventurous, and live life, as we "boomers" did. Hell, my hubby went to Woodstock with several of his friends in 1969 at age 20, while I flew alone cross country to visit friends. People, the OP said the kids were 17, 19 and 20. All perfectly able to handle a cruise sponsored excursion with a gang of other people. They are not pre-teens, or other youth. These kids are on the cusp of adulthood, for goodness sake! Unless they come from a "helicopter" environment and don't have a clue what to do on their own.

I think enough has been said on the subject. The OP was unsure and asked for advice. I'm sure they are plenty terrified right now to ever let those kids out on their own. And yes, I have seen Taken, but are you going to let your fears keep you from living life? Thank goodness I raised all 5 of my well adjusted children in the 70s and 80s before fear took hold of everybody.

No one is living in fear. We are telling the OP the dangers of some of these Islands, especially Jamaica.:)

I had a teenage daughter who wanted to go on an excursion with other teens and I said NO! I have no regret! Did watch the movie "TAKEN"? A foreign country is entirely different animal! The laws are different and the culture is different. Even adults make bad choices not knowing what is really taking place. To ensure you see your daughters again, hang tough. That is what parenting is all about!:):)

I happen to be married to Liam Neeson, actor/spy, so we're good.

Seriously, what if your daughter wanted to study overseas?

When I was 17, I flew to NYC on my own, stayed in a hotel on my own in a seedy hotel, to interview with a scholarship foundation for my final two years of college. I paid for that with a job I got at Baskin Robins when I was 13. When I was 19, I drove back to NYC for another interview for a continuing scholarship for grad school. Drove a one-way driveaway car, not knowing how close I'd be able to get on my return to my hometown, but I knew I'd be able to sort something out. Airfares were higher then than they are today.

As a child in suburban Kansas City Missouri, I thwarted an attempted abduction as I walked up the road to see my horse, that I rode everywhere. I survived an armed multiple person home invasion (not really the door was unlocked, they just walked in). I've been swindled and cheated in America. Usually, when I could least afford it. Crime is everywhere. Always has been, always will be. It is just more publicised.

Too much protective parenting makes children weak, dependent, and afraid. This will carry over to adulthood. The weak and fearful will always be prey to those who seek them out.

I happen to be married to Liam Neeson, actor/spy, so we're good.

Seriously, what if your daughter wanted to study overseas?

Especially if all the people in that other country spoke in a funny accent.

Seriously, why are people going to these places if they think they are so dangerous?

Forget about crime, here is what the US Government says about the food and water:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/jamaica

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.

Eat

Food that is cooked and served hot

Hard-cooked eggs

Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself

Pasteurized dairy products

Don't Eat

Food served at room temperature

Food from street vendors

Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs

Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish

Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables

Unpasteurized dairy products

”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)

Drink

Bottled water that is sealed

Water that has been disinfected

Ice made with bottled or disinfected water

Carbonated drinks

Hot coffee or tea

Pasteurized milk

Don’t Drink

Tap or well water

Ice made with tap or well water

Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)

Unpasteurized milk

Here is what the US Government says about Singapore:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/singapore

Food and water standards in Singapore are similar to those in the United States. Most travelers do not need to take special food or water precautions beyond what they normally do at home.

So, if you are so worried about crime, why aren't you worried about your kids getting sick? Why go on these cruises? Because they are cheap? Fair enough, just treat it like a sea day and stay onboard.

This thread is laughable....at 18 and 20 years an adult should have developed the skills need to take care of themselves without a parent. This is a LIFE SKILL they will need for the rest of their life. Quite frankly, I think the fact that they are girls is irrelevant...they still need to be able to handle themselves.

I went on a cruise with a bunch of friends at 22 to celebrate college graduation and visited all the ports the OP mentioned and amazingly we all survived. WE had all been on our own for the past 4 years in college and were more than capable of taking care of ourselves.

At home, no problem and I wouldn't hesitate at those ages. However, I would never allow my teenagers to go alone in another country. Not only would I be concerned about their safety, but what if their transportation broke down and for some reason they couldn't get back to the ship in time for departure, etc? What if they didn't have a signal and couldn't call? Everything would probably be fine, but I'm not the type of parent to take that risk and tend to be more overprotective, since my oldest daughter died. I just don't think it's worth ANY type of risk in a foreign country and for me...better to be safe than sorry.

I agree 100%.. You just never know what can happen in another country. :eek:

Because we all know how safe the US is right, no issues at all in this country of people getting armed or killed at school, in a mall, in a church, driving your car. And Yes I am being sarcastic........

Come on there is crime everywhere be aware of it and live your life.

When I was 17, I flew to NYC on my own, stayed in a hotel on my own in a seedy hotel, to interview with a scholarship foundation for my final two years of college. I paid for that with a job I got at Baskin Robins when I was 13. When I was 19, I drove back to NYC for another interview for a continuing scholarship for grad school. Drove a one-way driveaway car, not knowing how close I'd be able to get on my return to my hometown, but I knew I'd be able to sort something out. Airfares were higher then than they are today.

As a child in suburban Kansas City Missouri, I thwarted an attempted abduction as I walked up the road to see my horse, that I rode everywhere. I survived an armed multiple person home invasion (not really the door was unlocked, they just walked in). I've been swindled and cheated in America. Usually, when I could least afford it. Crime is everywhere. Always has been, always will be. It is just more publicised.

Too much protective parenting makes children weak, dependent, and afraid. This will carry over to adulthood. The weak and fearful will always be prey to those who seek them out.

Bingo! Ten points for Gryffindor.

I can't believe the fear I'm seeing here. Step one, learn how not to be a victim. Step two, don't be afraid to protect yourself. Step three, get out and see the World.

Life without risk is not worth living.

Because we all know how safe the US is right, no issues at all in this country of people getting armed or killed at school, in a mall, in a church, driving your car. And Yes I am being sarcastic........

Come on there is crime everywhere be aware of it and live your life.

Do people in the US realize that many folks from other counties are terrified to come here due to gun violence?! The medias spin is that you risk your life every time you walk down an American street.

Funny stuff.

Being discussed at length are all those parents who want to spend a life time with their kids and to keep them safe...they are being accused of bad parenting, of smothering them, of helicoptering and things of the like...

I really think that many, many, many, kids will survive inside the 'confines' of the family cruise and without going on an excursion on their own and that the parents can easily explain to them what their concerns and reasons are for saying 'no' if they choose to.

I am betting that the kids may even understand and respect a simple and reasonable explanation without becoming the dysfunctional human beings and family members that so many are convinced they will turn into for being kept from a walk about, by their parents, in a location that is unfamiliar to them, while on a family vacation.

It's too bad none of those who believe that the kids are being deprived, and the parents who are too fearful and are holding them back have been able to to craft a constructive and negotiated response to make it a win-win for the kids and the parents under the circumstances presented.

It would take many, many years of therapy for most parents to try to cope with the loss of a child or if they were harmed and they didn't take a moment to evaluate the risk and understand the consequences of what they were agreeing to. That's not being controlling. That's being responsible.

Edited by MizDemeanor

It would take many, many years of therapy for most parents to try to cope with the loss of a child or if they were harmed and they didn't take a moment to evaluate the risk and understand the consequences of what they were agreeing to. That's not being controlling. That's being responsible.

As recently as 80 years ago everywhere and still today in some places, most children do not survive to adulthood. Did the 99% of parents who lost one or more children 100 years ago need years of therapy? Of course not. They were able to cope because they didn't have overprotective parents who smothered them and kept them from growing up.

As recently as 80 years ago everywhere and still today in some places, most children do not survive to adulthood. Did the 99% of parents who lost one or more children 100 years ago need years of therapy? Of course not. They were able to cope because they didn't have overprotective parents who smothered them and kept them from growing up.

I am definitely not following your train of thought...it reads that you are saying the dead children did not need therapy.

Are you meaning to say the parents of children who died 80 years ago due to disease or famine for example?

Do you know any parents who lost children for any reason? Did your parents or grandparents? Did family members or friends? It rough stuff, especially when its multiple children.

Except they are not kids they are adults apart from the youngest who is sixteen.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

In this scenario, that the OP posed, the girls are not legal age to be on an excursion without a parent or a guardian if they are under the age of 21.

So you can start a whole new tangent of setting a good parenting example and following the rules with that one.

So when does it stop, then? I'm 33 and I'm sure if I was abducted/killed my mother would need years of therapy :P You can't use that as an argument.

It's not this specific situation of the cruise excursion that is the issue; it's the mindset of the people who think that ZOMG the "kids" will get sold into the sex trade if they go alone. You really believe these people have raised their children to be able to accurately assess life situations given that the parents can't?

I am definitely not following your train of thought...it reads that you are saying the dead children did not need therapy.

Are you meaning to say the parents of children who died 80 years ago due to disease or famine for example?

Do you know any parents who lost children for any reason? Did your parents or grandparents? Did family members or friends? It rough stuff, especially when its multiple children.

Of course, the antecedent of "they" is the parents of dead children.

Yes, I knew well all four of my grandparents and one of my great grandmothers. None of them needed therapy. It was interesting to hear first hand accounts of Queen Victoria.

In this scenario, that the OP posed, the girls are not legal age to be on an excursion without a parent or a guardian if they are under the age of 21.

So you can start a whole new tangent of setting a good parenting example and following the rules with that one.

I am certain that there is no "legal" requirenment to be over 21 to go on an excursion in either Mexico or Jamacia.

Maybe RCCI has such a rule (not law) but I cannot find it online. Here is all I have on ages:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq