would you let 3 teenage girls....

Liza555

May I put a fresh slant on the subject? Anyone been to Labadee? Did you know that you, or a young adult can leave the secure, fenced area? All you need is your passport at the armed guard shack.

Would you encourage your young daughters to do that? Would you do it?

It's the world, let's go explore it.

Why or why not?

The ship leaves at 3 pm

May I put a fresh slant on the subject? Anyone been to Labadee? Did you know that you, or a young adult can leave the secure, fenced area? All you need is your passport at the armed guard shack.

Would you encourage your young daughters to do that? Would you do it?

Why or why not?

The ship leaves at 3 pm

If the cruise knew doesn't recommend passengers leave the area, then I hope my kids would heed that warning. When my 16 year old was walking around NYC, and texted me they were heading into Central Park when it was getting dark, I advised her to stay in better lit areas. Independence and self reliance a requires taking some calculated risks. The positives that young adults take back from touring sans parents in another country, imho, negates the very small risk of harm. For a 20 year old, soon parents will be so far removed from the day to day, at least in this situation, can give advice on safety issues specific to this area.

I am certain that there is no "legal" requirenment to be over 21 to go on an excursion in either Mexico or Jamacia.

Maybe RCCI has such a rule (not law) but I cannot find it online. Here is all I have on ages:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Apologies....typed bad age...I meant 18. So the youngest must be accompanied by parent or guardian...not siblings/sister. That is the point.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2708&faqSubjectId=326

Apologies....typed bad age...I meant 18. So the youngest must be accompanied by parent or guardian...not siblings/sister. That is the point.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2708&faqSubjectId=326

hmmm--so it is possible that RCCI rule 8no law) would prevent the 16 year odl from going---though even that is unclear--in this case "gaurdian" might well mean any adult travellign with the younger person and not necessarily a legal gaurdian like a parent. I know my son went on excursions with his grandfather a couple of times back when he was not even a teen yet. Us parents were onboard but it never even occurred to us that WE had to go, and it was not an issue booking.

Do people in the US realize that many folks from other counties are terrified to come here due to gun violence?! The medias spin is that you risk your life every time you walk down an American street.

BAD things happens everywhere. Personally I survived a suicide bomb when I was on a study trip in Jerusalem in May 2001. I had the pleasure visiting Jerusalem again in 2012, and hope to visit that fantastic place again in the future.

That could happen in NY as well.. We had terrorism in Oslo, it has happend in Orlando, Paris, Istanbul, London, Brussels, Nice, Oklahoma etc etc.. Should we stop visiting these places and just stay home because something MIGHT happen? Your house might burn down during night, a hurricane might hit..and so on and so on.

Lets stop being so afraid and concerned of everything! Lets not let fear limit our lives!

To OP: All we can do for our kids is to raise them to be responsible and hopefully make the right choices. To overprotect them doesnt help them in the long run. Let the adults (+18) do what they think is right for them. If you trust the young adult ones, then let the 16 year old one with them. If not, well then dont.

So, when they are 50, will they finally be let out of the cage? How will they learn about the world between now and then? How will they be prepared without real life experience? Preparing kids for adulthood is what parenting is about. A foreign country = Denmark, Ireland, Wales, Sweden, Australia. Are these places a completely different animal? Yes, because they are probably statistically safer than your hometown. And probably have a higher standard of English language.

Going by your reckoning, foreigners who visit your hometown shouldn't let their adult children out of their sight, because it is patently unsafe, being foreign and all. :confused:

Spot on.

It's sad how people don't have perspective and understanding about reality.

Worse still was comparing possible consequences based on a fictional film. Using that I'm _definitely_ not going to let my children visit the US... I've seen Independence Day and all...

Have you ever heard of Natalie Hollaway?

Natalie Holloway was not on an organized pre-arranged tour off a cruise ship. She was at a beach party on a spring break fling with a bunch od people she had just met. Very different scenario...apples and oranges.

Natalie Holloway was not on an organized pre-arranged tour off a cruise ship. She was at a beach party on a spring break fling with a bunch od people she had just met. Very different scenario...apples and oranges.

This thread has gone all over the fruit market. Other people are talking about back packing through Europe, Woodstock, NYC which is also not the question. Many of the posters may have a different opinion if we were not talking about known problems affecting tourists in certain areas.

Some were talking about teaching your children to make decisions concerning their safety when traveling. Natalie Hollway appeared to be a well raised young lady who even earned a scholarship for college. My point was, even she made a wrong decision. BTW, she was not at a beach party, she was at a bar with all her high school friends when a young man she had met asked her to go in his car with him. Her high school friends all advised her against it.

I posted this yesterday, and am very curious to know what cruisers would do in this case. Let's take Hurricane Matthew out of the equation for now.

Would you encourage your young daughters to do that? Would you do it? Have you done it?

Why or why not?

The ship leaves at 3 pm

I would not let them go off on there on in a foreign country.

I must say that I realize that one is old enough to be considered an adult, but I remember watching a movie about a young 17 year old wanting later curfew stating she is a BIG girl now.

And the mom's response was ...... I realize that, but I am worried about the BIG boys out there.

Ever since I watched the movie TAKEN, and the series HOSTEL, there is no way I would let them off on their own, excursion or not.

Ok far fetched I know and the Caribbean is not Europe, and besides they have enough time to grow up safely.

Thanks

May I put a fresh slant on the subject? Anyone been to Labadee? Did you know that you, or a young adult can leave the secure, fenced area? All you need is your passport at the armed guard shack...
I have been to Labadee many times. Can you document this? I'd be interesting in seeing proof of this. Have you done this (unless you were on an RCI excursion)? I agree that a few people have left Labadee, but AFAIK only with pre-arranged permission from Miami.

I have been to Labadee many times. Can you document this? I'd be interesting in seeing proof of this. Have you done this (unless you were on an RCI excursion)? I agree that a few people have left Labadee, but AFAIK only with pre-arranged permission from Miami.

On our Anthem cruise, there was a male passenger, mid 50's, world traveler who had contacts in Haiti who does this all the time. Mike was smart enough to be picked up by a contact/friend, and spoke many languages.

I did not know you could do this either, but all you need is a your passport.

Not much on the "other side of the fence" you need to thumb, or arrange transportation to get anywhere.

I would NOT do this, and Royal does not advertise it. They own the fenced in part. Mike had no permission from Miami, but he legally did enter through the guard shack with his passport. Maybe because he had a ride and a contact? Don't know.

It does have to be prearranged to leave Labadee. There are a few posters here that have been able to obtain permission to bring aid to schools, but you can not leave the area otherwise.

Thom, I tried going back to our roll call to get more info, but that roll call is not there anymore.

His screen name was Hawaiian Mike or something like that. He was on the cruise with his 85 year old mother. He was quite a character with many interesting stories from all over the world, and never planted his feet down in any place for too long.

Many of us warned him against it, but he seemed to know what he was doing. And arrived back on the ship in plenty of time.

I 18 I lived on my own. At nineteen, I joined the USAF, at 20 I was sent to Panama. I survived. And at 50+I cruise on my own.

It all depends on how you raised your daughters. Are they accustomed to freedom?

Shore excursions are pretty safe, however the ships have the be back guarantee .

You know your girls. Trust your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Flamencacha

Are you crazy! Have you ever heard of girls getting kid napped in other countries. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep thinking about a mom in Alabama who's daughter went missing in Aruba. Never has been found...!! She was on a trip with many others.

That was Natalie Hollaway, she seemed to have a level head on her, but made the wrong decision to get in Van Der Slooths (sp) car.

I would say, no. I have 2 adult sons, 25 and 22 and it would worry me if they went on an excursion alone. Not that that would stop them.

We have men in the military leading troops into battle at this age.