Royal Princess Becomes First Ship in Princess Cruises' Fleet to Sail with New-Look Li

LauraS

Was just gonna say that! If you're gonna do all that paint on the bow, how hard is it to turn the logo on the funnel? I know branding is a big deal but she simply looks like she's going in the wrong direction.

That's a gigantic logo and I'm pretty sure you couldn't just simply turn it around. I would bet they would need a new one and that probably wasn't in the budget. If you look at photos of Majestic, they got it right there...

That's a gigantic logo and I'm pretty sure you couldn't just simply turn it around. I would bet they would need a new one and that probably wasn't in the budget. If you look at photos of Majestic, they got it right there...

If they'd really thought about it they could've taken the (incorrect) forward-facing sea witches from Royal and Regal, replaced them with new rear-facing ones and then used the old ones on the other side of the funnel on Majestic and the next newbuild. Although I suspect the storage/transportation costs of doing this outweighed the benefits of having her facing the correct direction!!

Always good to have a way of distinguishing similar ships from a distance if you can't see the name...

If they'd really thought about it they could've taken the (incorrect) forward-facing sea witches from Royal and Regal, replaced them with new rear-facing ones and then used the old ones on the other side of the funnel on Majestic and the next newbuild. Although I suspect the storage/transportation costs of doing this outweighed the benefits of having her facing the correct direction!!

Always good to have a way of distinguishing similar ships from a distance if you can't see the name...

Simply take the logo off the left side of the funnel and put it on the right side, and take the one off the right side and put it on the left.

I like it but would like it a lot more if it weren't so large. One thing I did notice on ships is that the anchor area becomes very rusty (a pet peeve of mine). But since this is now part of the logo they will have to take better care to keep it painted.;)

Andrea

~~~~~~~

I like it but would like it a lot more if it weren't so large. One thing I did notice on ships is that the anchor area becomes very rusty (a pet peeve of mine). But since this is now part of the logo they will have to take better care to keep it painted.;)

Andrea

~~~~~~~

Change the sea witch logo from blue to brown. Problem solved!

I like it--classy but distinctive. Royal and Regal are my favorite ships and I'm looking forward to being on the Royal again next year. Also looking forward to the central staircase since we generally stay midship. That will be a major improvement.

I'm a fan of the Logo on the bow.

But, just to be an instigator, does anyone know why the Seawitch is facing one way on the bow and the opposite way up near the stacks (engine exhausts?) Maybe no way is obvious but I find it interesting that they are facing each other.:confused:

I'm a fan of the Logo on the bow.

But, just to be an instigator, does anyone know why the Seawitch is facing one way on the bow and the opposite way up near the stacks (engine exhausts?) Maybe no way is obvious but I find it interesting that they are facing each other.:confused:

We had a similar discussion way back in January 2013 when she was being built...;)

The forward facing starboard side logo on the funnel was actually originally portrayed as such on the official artist renderings of Royal Princess released in March 2011 prior to her keel laying. Princess Cruises noted that on all of their official literature, websites, etc. the corporate logo is such that the sea witch's hair (as you are looking at the logo itself) flows to the right and not to the left, and that's the way they wanted it on the funnel on their new flagship-class of ships. Which meant that on the starboard side it looks "backwards", which in reality it is not.

However, painting such a massive logo on the starboard bow in a similar fashion (forward facing) would be totally impractical: doing so would make the tentacle-like hair look like sharks teeth on the bow (or just plain weird).

And, having that large of a logo on the bow with the hair flowing aft just looks a LOT better.

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

We had a similar discussion way back in January 2013 when she was being built...;)

The forward facing starboard side logo on the funnel was actually originally portrayed as such on the official artist renderings of Royal Princess released in March 2011 prior to her keel laying. Princess Cruises noted that on all of their official literature, websites, etc. the corporate logo is such that the sea witch's hair (as you are looking at the logo itself) flows to the right and not to the left, and that's the way they wanted it on the funnel on their new flagship-class of ships. Which meant that on the starboard side it looks "backwards", which in reality it is not. ;)

That’s strange, or weird, wonder why? The first time we were on the original Royal Princess was 1991, then again six years later. I’m sitting here in my man cave looking at a picture of the starboard side of the stack taken by Gibraltar on our second voyage, in April 1997. The hair flows to the “left” with the maiden facing the stern. Opposite of what they are doing now.

The only way her hair would flow the way they have it now on the starboard side stack is when the vessel is under full aft command or they have one heck of a following wind.

The forward facing starboard side logo on the funnel was actually originally portrayed as such on the official artist renderings of Royal Princess released in March 2011 prior to her keel laying. Princess Cruises noted that on all of their official literature, websites, etc. the corporate logo is such that the sea witch's hair (as you are looking at the logo itself) flows to the right and not to the left, and that's the way they wanted it on the funnel on their new flagship-class of ships. Which meant that on the starboard side it looks "backwards", which in reality it is not.

However, painting such a massive logo on the starboard bow in a similar fashion (forward facing) would be totally impractical: doing so would make the tentacle-like hair look like sharks teeth on the bow (or just plain weird).

And, having that large of a logo on the bow with the hair flowing aft just looks a LOT better.

;)

Thanks for the review.. I must have missed that part. I see your(or Princess's pt) Sounds like Princess's powers that be, kind of put themselves in a box with the hair flowing "forward." I suspect there may be some trademarking issues? But, if that is the case, I'm thinking they should TM the inverse too. At least that way, they can have it going in the same direction on their ships. With what you explained, though, Princess painted themselves into a corner. Thanks again though.

I agree.....Regal/Royal and soon to be Majestic are our favorite Princess ships...:D

Same here we have done the Royal and the Regal and think these are the best in the Princess fleet right now.

Sea ya

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s strange, or weird, wonder why? The first time we were on the original Royal Princess was 1991, then again six years later....

I was speaking of Royal Princess (2013), not of Royal Princess (1984). All Princess Cruises ships prior to the Royal Class had the funnel logo as indicated in your description (hair 'flowing left', or more appropriately, 'flowing aft'). Royal Class I and II did not (per my detailed post above), whereas Royal Class III (Majestic Princess) has the funnel logo reverted to prior display (aft facing) on the starboard side of the funnel.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959