Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

I'm so surprised at how many people on CC think it's a major crime for someone to feel disappointed about something.

Most adults can feel disappointed about something without sobbing on the couch (or throwing things, as someone else's wife apparently resorted to).

Did either of these two ladies somehow manage to enjoy their cruise?

Most adults can feel disappointed about something without sobbing on the couch (or throwing things, as someone else's wife apparently resorted to).

I have a sneaky hunch when the man posted that his wife was throwing things, there was a bit of hyperbole there.

And as I said before, there is no reason to think disappointment means one can't enjoy a cruise. How do people make these leaps?

I think the pro-Canada crowd is forgetting how much the loss of a pool affects a cruise. The one day it rained on our at-sea day on our Western Caribbean cruise last year sucked bad. I know the Breakaway is better than the ship I was on (the Vision) but it's still limited and really an outdoors cruise ship. They don't even have an indoor pool available (unless you pay!)!!

I'm going to be pissed if this week's Breakaway diverts to Canada instead of PC/Nassau. I even splurged for a balcony - it'd be a complete waste. I'd even take the crappy port times if it means warm weather.

I guess that's why we wouldn't have minded the change in climate because we are not pool people or sun bathers icon12.gif

As far as the balcony -- we have had a balcony on every cruise, including two to Canada and one to Alaska, and we have made full use of it and didn't freeze our butts off at all. But I guess it depends on what you are looking for in the way of weather and I can see not being prepared or in the mood for cold weather when you wanted warm. Would any of these cruise lines be able to tell you if you called before you got there whether they were changing the itinerary?

Edited by Wyoming2010

Cannot even compare to the sobbing mess of adults that we saw on our Disney Magic Cruise in 2004 when they were outrunning Hurricane Frances. We stopped in Galveston for supplies and they announced the night before that because we were at least 3 days out from returning to Port Canaveral, they made arrangements for anyone that wanted to leave the ship in Galveston to be bussed to Houston to try to get a flight home. There were grown men and women running around like crazy people, yelling at crew members and sitting in the lobby sobbing because they didn't know what to do! Simple, stay on the ship and they will take care of you. Go to the airport and you are on your own. We found out many who went (160 in total) ended up sleeping at the airport until the next day. We had never experienced such panic. I can only imagine some of those people on the ships this week LOL

Trying to consider both sides here and unfortunately I think NCL is in the wrong on this one. I understand the cruise lines have certain things not under their control especially the weather. Having been on many cruises and having itineraries changed it is often disappointing to say the least but usually understandable.

If I'm on a 7 day trip to to the Caribbean and miss Tortola because of a change, completely understandable. But when I plan on 3 days in Bermuda or a Panama Canal crossing and get sent entirely elsewhere the cruise line owes me an alternative. If I pay to fly to Dallas and the flights are diverted to Houston I get compensated or the option not to go.

The cruise line is the only industry that unilaterally has a right to change the very essence of what you paid for. Far too long we nod our heads that the cruise industry is always right. I know its in the contract but that only goes so far, sometimes it makes perfect sense to endorse and sometimes its just plain wrong.

Take Carnival the week before out of Baltimore, exact same circumstances and they offered a full refund if you chose not to board or a future cruise credit if you did. I also understand Disney and other lines made similar offers.

Very classy move by others in the industry and yet once again NCL stoops to the bottom of the barrel choosing to stand by their "right" instead of doing the right thing. This alone is a clear indication of what NCL thinks of you, the customer, and why in my opinion is becoming one of the most hated cruise provides in the industry.

Just my two cents, happy sailing everyone.

lol, I'm waiting for the News reports on Sunday on how awful everything was

and how they are going to sue NCL etc etc.

Look if the destination is Important for you to get you, then may i say fly,but if you did fly to Bermuda, I'm sure that if you did fly to Bermuda, you would not have been able to enjoy your vacation, with a Cat 4 hurricane hitting the Island.

Who would you blame then? and the ones that are talking about Zikka, just another angle of trying to get something out of the cruise line.

Marion

We have had cancelled and changed cruises on multiple cruise lines. Sad, yes. Upset, no.

We book Caribbean cruises this time of year with the full understanding that it is the peak of hurricane season. And we may get an unplanned vacation.

We undersatand that we have signed a contract with the cruise line and what the cruise line's rights are. They have full authority to change Itineraries for any reason.

Based on weather forecasts prior to embarkation, there was a 100% probability that the Breakaway was not going to Bermuda this week. No surprises there.

The breakaway's normal itinerary in a couple of weeks is PC and Nassau. Other than the fact that they were both in hurricane recovery, it was a good bet the ship was going there with the reminats of Matthew going north.

Sad, yes. Upset, no.

We have had cancelled and changed cruises on multiple cruise lines. Sad, yes. Upset, no.

We book Caribbean cruises this time of year with the full understanding that it is the peak of hurricane season. And we may get an unplanned vacation.

We undersatand that we have signed a contract with the cruise line and what the cruise line's rights are. They have full authority to change Itineraries for any reason.

Based on weather forecasts prior to embarkation, there was a 100% probability that the Breakaway was not going to Bermuda this week. No surprises there.

The breakaway's normal itinerary in a couple of weeks is PC and Nassau. Other than the fact that they were both in hurricane recovery, it was a good bet the ship was going there with the reminats of Matthew going north.

Sad, yes. Upset, no.

Bingo !👍

Is it too much of a stretch for you to consider that perhaps the posters were just being colorful in their posts!!!

I haven't cried in years but I know I could perhaps portray the look of a crying person sobbing on the couch when the reality is I'm just upset. I doubt the wife was crying like it was a wake

As for throwing things....well slamming Down a hair brush or throwing it toward the couch etc is a lot different from flinging your luggage over the side of the ship

Really....it was more than likely colorful expression the posters were portraying.

It's very doubtful the situation was as life altering as the colorful posts tried to jokingly express

Then again...that's just me....being able to analyze what I see read and hear for what it's worth

Call me skeptical if you want but I call myself a rational realistic and logical clear thinker

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sad, yes. Upset, no.

Exactly. I tend to avoid booking Hurricane season nowadays but when booking this time of year I understood fully that the itinerary might have to be changed. One year we left New York a day late and another year we left Bermuda a day early. Disappointed yes, but on the other hand those cruises had much lower fares than other months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trying to consider both sides here and unfortunately I think NCL is in the wrong on this one. I understand the cruise lines have certain things not under their control especially the weather. Having been on many cruises and having itineraries changed it is often disappointing to say the least but usually understandable.

If I'm on a 7 day trip to to the Caribbean and miss Tortola because of a change, completely understandable. But when I plan on 3 days in Bermuda or a Panama Canal crossing and get sent entirely elsewhere the cruise line owes me an alternative. If I pay to fly to Dallas and the flights are diverted to Houston I get compensated or the option not to go.

The cruise line is the only industry that unilaterally has a right to change the very essence of what you paid for. Far too long we nod our heads that the cruise industry is always right. I know its in the contract but that only goes so far, sometimes it makes perfect sense to endorse and sometimes its just plain wrong.

Take Carnival the week before out of Baltimore, exact same circumstances and they offered a full refund if you chose not to board or a future cruise credit if you did. I also understand Disney and other lines made similar offers.

Very classy move by others in the industry and yet once again NCL stoops to the bottom of the barrel choosing to stand by their "right" instead of doing the right thing. This alone is a clear indication of what NCL thinks of you, the customer, and why in my opinion is becoming one of the most hated cruise provides in the industry.

Bingo

It's not the fact the ship was diverted but the fact Ncl doesn't treat their pax as well as other cruise lines do

Btw I was on the dcl Magic during hurricane France's in 2004

What an odyssey that was!!

But dcl took such great care of us and gave us so so many perks ...too many to mention....that as soon as we finally arrived home several days late....I immediately called dcl....not to complain but to book another cruise!!!

Bingo

It's not the fact the ship was diverted but the fact Ncl doesn't treat their pax as well as other cruise lines do

But dcl took such great care of us and gave us so so many perks ...too many to mention....that as soon as we finally arrived home several days late....I immediately called dcl....not to complain but to book another cruise!!!

Disney is a premium cruise line. NCL is a budget cruise line. You need to lower your expectations when booking NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bingo

And they were the only cruise line (we read later after returning home) that stopped in a port for supplies. While in Galveston, they had also arranged to fly in entertainment from California so for the next three nights we had great performers! My daughter's teacher was on RCCL and they ran out of everything -- breakfast foods, lemons, fruits, laundry soaps, fresh towels and linens, etc. She said it was awful. Disney even put us up at a resort when we missed our flight because the bus from Port Everglade was late.

Edited by Wyoming2010

I thought the Carnival ship only sailed to NY and cruise was shortened? I take Disney out of my comparison because its 2-3 times the cost and well, Disney :). If anything it seems to me that NCL was the only line to be able to successfully pull off a week long cruise to a comparable (tropical) location. Some cruise lines were so ill prepared they couldn't get a slot anywhere and literally sailed around aimlessly. Of course those people should get a refund, they didn't get a real cruise. I think NCL pulled off a miracle under the circumstances.

Edited by Rileyz

I thought the Carnival ship only sailed to NY and cruise was shortened? I take Disney out of my comparison because its 2-3 times the cost and well, Disney :). If anything it seems to me that NCL was the only line to be able to successfully pull off a week long cruise to a comparable (tropical) location. Some cruise lines were so ill prepared they couldn't get a slot anywhere and literally sailed around aimlessly. Of course those people should get a refund, they didn't get a real cruise. I think NCL pulled off a miracle under the circumstances.

The Pride actually "sailed" a full cruise and had planned to go to Canada as well as New York, and they did offer a refund before the cruise started. Their biggest problem is that they were headed straight into the Bahamas and knew somewhat in advance that they would not be able to able to compete their itinerary. I suspect NCL hoped up until the last minute that by staying to the East of Matthew they might be able to get to Bermuda.

Even with the offer to cancel some people boarded the ship and made a stink about the cruise they got. People "stranded" in Manhattan, having nothing but sandals to wear, made a big stink about their situation that made the headline news on local TV.

No matter what you do there are some people who will take it out on the cruise line when mother nature throws a curve ball.

Roy

But you haven't bought it! You have been given something that has cost $200! I am absolutely fascinated reading this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're fascinated - I have a headache...LOL. What a group of people that have all the answers to the logistics of a cruise and the navigation of a megaship....

Does anyone know what's going on with the Dawn? I assume no news is good news? The Dawn roll call thread has been dead since this morning... :confused:

they jammed all signals so we cannot hear the truth from within :eek:

i am on the edge of my seat though. if they go , then certainly the BA will go. if not then i spend 2 days in limbo torturing myself with last minute plans that may be irrelevant

i am on the edge of my seat though. if they go , then certainly the BA will go. if not then i spend 2 days in limbo torturing myself with last minute plans that may be irrelevant

Minimal damage in the Dockyard area (posted on FB). Shops open. You're going to Bermuda!

Cannot even compare to the sobbing mess of adults that we saw on our Disney Magic Cruise in 2004 when they were outrunning Hurricane Frances. We stopped in Galveston for supplies and they announced the night before that because we were at least 3 days out from returning to Port Canaveral, they made arrangements for anyone that wanted to leave the ship in Galveston to be bussed to Houston to try to get a flight home. There were grown men and women running around like crazy people, yelling at crew members and sitting in the lobby sobbing because they didn't know what to do! Simple, stay on the ship and they will take care of you. Go to the airport and you are on your own. We found out many who went (160 in total) ended up sleeping at the airport until the next day. We had never experienced such panic. I can only imagine some of those people on the ships this week LOL

My favorite was a few years ago a woman on her honeymoon "....stayed on the bed and cried the whole trip..." because she had a hull balcony on either the Dawn or Star.

Bermuda's advantage is its strong building code - homes are solid, aside from damaged roofs & leaks. Bernews and Royal Gazette update are very encouraging - just under 9,000 homes still waiting for electricity to be turned back on with repairs (out of the 27,000 that lost power during the storm's peak) ... reading like all-out efforts to cleanup & recovery fully underway in last 18+ hours, military pitching in. BTC and Digicel is around 90% on restoring full telecomm facilities for their island customers.

Dockyard's live cam is back up now (offline since early yesterday) camera was stationary - just resumed panning in the last few minutes as it usually do, audio feed suggested cleanup & machinery in the background, the tall trees remained upright and standing - good sign. Marina was evacuated and still empty - there are some movement & activity - probably repairing any damages to the walkways & paths. Go to portbermudawebcam site to see the live feed. Willy Freeman's group @ Dockyard indicated that they did okay and it's just cleaning up from the direct hit.

Last time I checked, buses & ferries aren't running but most business in downtown Hamilton reopening around 12 noon today or early afternoon - schools remained closed, of course. Hospital & critical care facility remained operational during the storm. Causeway had damages but inspected & reopened last night and airport always open up again, ready for flight ops.

Seas are on the rough side for the next several days from the forecast sites, expect a choppy ride and rough waves - for those prone to motion, start your choice of migitation measures. And, no other tropical storm in the surrounding forecast area at the moment. Time to bring out the Bermuda shorts, that's my call.

Edited by mking8288

they jammed all signals so we cannot hear the truth from within :eek:

If we never hear a confirmation from them, I hope the Anthem cruisers are at least a little more courteous! :mad:

Lol, I too spent all day yesterday planning a Canadian cruise. We've been hearing nothing but good news, but I want to know for certain, dammit!!

Any update on the wife who was sobbing on the couch because the captain wouldn't sail the Breakaway directly into a hurricane?

Just wondering how she's doing. She manage to enjoy part of the cruise?

Unbelievable adults throwing a temper tantrum. There are people out there getting their homes destroyed and they are acting like this? One sobbing on the couch and another one throwing things. :rolleyes: They need to be put in a time out just like a child since they are acting like one. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If we never hear a confirmation from them, I hope the Anthem cruisers are at least a little more courteous! :mad:

Lol, I too spent all day yesterday planning a Canadian cruise. We've been hearing nothing but good news, but I want to know for certain, dammit!!

canada is not even on my radar. if we go there i know nothing. id assume if they did FL and Nassau this week on BA that we would do that next week as well.

when you get your canada research done, post it :) i could use a cheat sheet.