O/S Currency

First time heading O/S and need some help please. Just enquired at Australia Post about purchasing some NZ dollars for my November cruise. No problem except they dont buy back if you dont use it all.

Soooooo,,,,, what's the best place to purchase currency from please.

cheers

Belinda

I just use an ATM when I get there.

Ditto and keep what is left (if any ) for the next visit.

There are money exchanges in the Sydney CBD and airport that offer buy back at the same rate but ultimately you pay one way or the other. We also charge a lot of things onto the credit card (no fees).

Edited by MicCanberra

I just use an ATM when I get there.

Agreed. NZ is full of ATMs and I would just use one here.

Honestly though we use cards a lot for nearly everything. I hardly ever use cash anymore!

The last time I went to Sydney I just stopped at one at the airport and got cash out of the ATM. No hassles [emoji106]

(Just talking out loud in my last paragraph.... I do that....)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by chesterbear

Just remember with cash that our $1 and $2 coins are the right way round [emoji74][emoji74][emoji74]

Ok back to work before I get in trouble for that statement!!

What about your $6s, I think it is money for a very specific spending.

Ditto and keep what is left (if any ) for the next visit.

There are money exchanges in the Sydney CBD and airport that offer buy back at the same rate but ultimately you pay one way or the other. We also charge a lot of things onto the credit card (no fees).

if we are cruising, which now is anytime we're o/S, we just give the Kent over to crew, they can always use it.

I always like a bit of local currency on landing, especially in he USA - the land of tipping as soon as you get off the airplane. I get some foreign currency from the post office, but use my ANZ Platinum Visa card, (QFF linked) for most other purchases, including hotels, restaurant meals, ATM withdrawals etc. Another tip, don't forget to notify your bank that you are overseas, re any fraudulent transactions that might occur. Happened to us once in Las Vegas.

Edited by NSWP

Tip from other CC members. Get a Citibank Debit Card and withdraw O/S from any ATM in local currency. Good exchange rates and no fees. Apply online.

Yep, thats the one for ATM withdrawals, easy to apply for online.......dont foget to press "Credit" for your withdrawals not Savings as you will be charged a fee. It is a Visa debit card, so you are using your own money. Load it up before you go via your internet banking, and withdraw any currency from ATM's.

Here is the link for OP's info

http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm

Edited by cheznandy

Well that's actually legal here [emoji6]

At least that is a reprieve from jokes about sheep [emoji207] and sporting rivalries!

At least you Kiwis drive on the left side, which is the right side. Even if your gold coins are the wrong size for the denomination, we still luv youse, sheep and all. lol.

Edited by NSWP

It certainly is [emoji3]

It helps me stay sane while waiting out until it's time to invade Sydney again!! And nobody posts cat pics for me to roll my eyes at unlike on Facebook [emoji106]

For a man to truly understand rejection…

he must first be ignored by a cat.

Edited by MicCanberra

It certainly is [emoji3]

It helps me stay sane while waiting out until it's time to invade Sydney again!! And nobody posts cat pics for me to roll my eyes at unlike on Facebook [emoji106]

We are nice people on Australia/New Zealand section of the mighty Cruise Critic.

Sorry I mentioned your national pets...sheep, can't help myself. Now in 4 weeks we head to LA on Air New Zealand, last time I travelled on with them it was Lamb Pie for lunch - Sydney to Auckland and Roast Lamb for dinner, Auckland to San Francisco. We had a young Aussie businesswoman sitting next to us. I still remember her conversation..'I like Air NZ, I fly with them every month on this route, but I am sick to death of the same food, Lamb Pie and Roast Lamb.' True story. Some nice sauv blancs though on Air NZ.

Laugh and the World laughs with you.

Edited by NSWP

Sorry I mentioned your national pets...sheep, can't help myself. Now in 4 weeks we head to LA on Air New Zealand, last time I travelled on with them it was Lamb Pie for lunch - Sydney to Auckland and Roast Lamb for dinner, Auckland to San Francisco. We had a young Aussie businesswoman sitting next to us. I still remember her conversation..'I like Air NZ, I fly with them every month on this route, but I am sick to death of the same food, Lamb Pie and Roast Lamb.' True story. Some nice sauv blancs though on Air NZ .

Totally agree!!

I like flying air nz

I like sauv blancs

I get sick of eating lamb very quickly.

Love roast lamb. Love lamb meatballs at the Turkish restaurant down the road. Feel very queasy at the thought of eating lamb mince or sausages.

Did I mention that I once got rammed by a ram [emoji207] in a paddock once? That left me rather black and blue. I hope that one was turned into a roast.

If on a cruise and you are not intending to spend a lot - use a card for major purchases and take some Aussie $50 notes and change them along the way for the small things.

You will probably get $ for $ at present so not a bad deal and no card fees.