Asking for upsell/upgrade?

passy

My dad and I are cruising on regal in 4 weeks and have 2 single balcony cabins next door to each other. We said no upgrades as we worried that one of us might be upgraded and we'd end up far away from each other.

The cruise is not sold out.

Has anyone ever contacted princess to ask about upsells near to sail date? Or is there a way we can agree to be upgraded but only if we stay near each other?

We booked direct with Princess, not a TA.

Dad is platinum, I'm only gold level.

Many thanks!

Years ago our TA got us a complimentary upgrade from an obstructed OV cabin to a great large balcony Caribe deck cabin in Alaska. There were many balcony cabins available shortly before that early June cruise & she contacted a Princess DSM she knew to request it.

However that was before Princess became so successful generating additional income by offering some reasonably priced upsells. It's been years since our last complimentary upgrade from their Yield Management section. On most cruises closer to sailing we get upsell offers & have accepted a few & have declined other offers.

My TA helped get our great free upgrade but I don't know how your direct Princess booking affects a request. I've read posts from passengers who receive free upgrades but haven't read about anyone getting an upsell by negotiating with Princess & only by paying the current price.

There are many variables such as passenger load, price paid & cabin type for upsells/upgrades and it couldn't hurt to ask for one. I don't think our Captain's Circle level is a major factor because being at the elite level I don't think it has benefited us.

Having adjacent cabins I'd recommend checking regularly because while it isn't common, I've read about passengers being upgraded because a "no upgrade" notation is only a request & Princess may change our cabin assignment.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Request to have your two bookings "linked". That means that anything that happens to one booking also happens to the other linked booking. That includes sale perks, pricing changes (reductions, hopefully), etc. We have done that through our TA, so presumably it can be done directly through Princess.

...VTX-Al :)

My dad and I are cruising on regal in 4 weeks and have 2 single balcony cabins next door to each other. We said no upgrades as we worried that one of us might be upgraded and we'd end up far away from each other.

The cruise is not sold out.

Has anyone ever contacted princess to ask about upsells near to sail date? Or is there a way we can agree to be upgraded but only if we stay near each other?

Dad is platinum, I'm only gold level.

Many thanks!

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Request to have your two bookings "linked". That means that anything that happens to one booking also happens to the other linked booking. That includes sale perks, pricing changes (reductions, hopefully), etc. We have done that through our TA, so presumably it can be done directly through Princess.

...VTX-Al :)

That's not true. Linking bookings doesn't affect much more than dining assignments.

Not sure if linking the reservations will make a difference or not. If one is chosen and the other one not, you may still be separated. I may help ... but it may not ... just saying.

And .... on Princess, you can request what is called a Meta Upgrade. This means if you untick the no upgrade option but ask for a meta upgrade only, they will only be able to move you to the next super category: Inside to Oceanview or better, Oceanview to balcony or better, balcony to mini suite or better, mini suite to full suite. If you are in a good location, you certainly may not want them to just move you to what they consider a better location with no change in cabin type. The worst scenario that comes to mind are the obstructed oceanview cabins. You might have one in an aft location but be moved up to a mid-aft location directly behind a lifeboat.

The meta upgrade option would prevent this from happening. I think there is no option for you to request this online ... I think you have to call either Princess or your TA if you have one.

For our upcoming cruise we had our TA call Princess about 4-6 weeks prior to travel, after we had read on our roll call that some folks had received upsell offers from balcony to mini-suite. We are in a balcony and there was an open mini-suite a few doors up that would have been very nice. The TA said Princess offered to sell us that mini for the difference in price from what we had paid to the current mini-suite pricing, so needless to say we are still in our balcony cabin!

We were not successful, but have peace of mind that at least we tried! Go for it and good luck!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

If an upgrade or upsell offer comes along, may be better if you have the deck plan with you when discussing over phone.