'Falling' Off a Cruise Ship and Surviving

babs135

What's the point? A virtually negligible number of people "fall" overboard. Those who go overboard are either suicides (attempted or successful), irresponsible drinkers, or otherwise irresponsible jerks who like to walk on railings, etc.

The phenomenon really has little to do with cruising - drunks kill themselves far more frequently on highways, while irresponsible people (texting while driving, for example) also manage to kill themselves at amazing rates. Both these types often take truly innocent other people with them.

Perhaps the rest of us are better off if the drunks and jerks do their things on ships - so, rather than deploring it, perhaps we should applaud it. Aside from inconveniencing their fellow passengers and running up costs of rescue expenses -- choosing to do their thing on cruises is arguably more socially responsible than doing it ashore.

Nobody "falls" or "tumbles" off a cruise ship unless they are suicidal, drunk, stupid, or pushed.

Being drunk is the most common cause.

While this article tells of a few people who survived, they are in a minority. Statistically, most people who go overboard are either lost at sea or dead when their bodies are recovered.

Nobody "falls" or "tumbles" off a cruise ship unless they are suicidal, drunk, stupid, or pushed.

Being drunk is the most common cause.

While this article tells of a few people who survived, they are in a minority. Statistically, most people who go overboard are either lost at sea or dead when their bodies are recovered.

Depending upon the deck from which they fall, a number can be as good as dead when they hit the water - from ten or so decks up, the impact of hitting the water is comparable to hitting ground from the same height.

It's an interesting article. Does it have "a point" or apply to our lives? No, but that doesn't stop it from being interesting. Things that jumped out at me:

The man whose wife said, during an argument, "Go ahead -- do it, jump" is a complete idiot.

I remember the story about the man who claimed a giant wave knocked him (and only him) overboard. And no one else saw it. Didn't believe it then, don't believe it now.

As for the woman who sued the cruise line for "over serving her", what an idiot. Does personal responsibility mean nothing?

And, yes, the thread that connects all the stories is alcohol. And/or drugs.

Agree, it's interesting that some people do survive through luck or strength. If it doesn't have a point to you, then ignore.

I thought the actions of the 16 year old were impressive and quick thinking. The guy who successfully swam 4 miles even though he must have been so drunk he thought a wave had hit him! I couldn't believe the stupidity of the woman who sued for not being rescued soon enough...

Well, as I don't (any longer) do drugs and I rarely have a drink, or two, I guess I'm safe from accdently falling off the ship��. Actually I'm all in favor of taking personal responsibility in my life - in general, not just on a ship out in the middle of a great big, and very deep, ocean!

Edited by Treven

what's the point? A virtually negligible number of people "fall" overboard. Those who go overboard are either suicides (attempted or successful), irresponsible drinkers, or otherwise irresponsible jerks who like to walk on railings, etc.

The phenomenon really has little to do with cruising - drunks kill themselves far more frequently on highways, while irresponsible people (texting while driving, for example) also manage to kill themselves at amazing rates. Both these types often take truly innocent other people with them.

perhaps the rest of us are better off if the drunks and jerks do their things on ships - so, rather than deploring it, perhaps we should applaud it. Aside from inconveniencing their fellow passengers and running up costs of rescue expenses -- choosing to do their thing on cruises is arguably more socially responsible than doing it ashore.

+1

don