quick opinions required pearl or Jade?

fragilek

I am about to one of these cruises - This will be my first NCL cruise - I have done 2 royal Caribbean and 2 carnival cruises in the past.

My choice is between

10 night on the pearl - Aruba, Caratenga, Colon, Panama lake Gatun , Puetro Limon.

7 night Jade- Rotan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel (I have been to all bar Costa Maya)

Both cruises are in April and in the same cabin with drinks and specialty dining 5 and 3 respectively

The difference in price is about - $1300

Any one got opinion on the ships and the stops - Thanks

I'd go with the 10 night on the Pearl. The ports are a little more exotic and it's a longer cruise, plus you've been to mist of the ports on the Jade sailing. The Jade and the Pearl are the same class of ship, so the differences between ships should be minimal and primarily cosmetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am about to one of these cruises - This will be my first NCL cruise - I have done 2 royal Caribbean and 2 carnival cruises in the past.

My choice is between

10 night on the pearl - Aruba, Caratenga, Colon, Panama lake Gatun , Puetro Limon.

7 night Jade- Rotan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel (I have been to all bar Costa Maya)

Both cruises are in April and in the same cabin with drinks and specialty dining 5 and 3 respectively

The difference in price is about - $1300

Any one got opinion on the ships and the stops - Thanks

Pearl. It's a longer cruise and better itinerary.

My vote is for Pearl also. Not only is it a better itinerary, but it will be post drydock and the ship will be updated throughout.

Tracy

Jade will be post drydock, too. It goes in the month after the Pearl. Both will be newly refurbished ships in April.

Jade will be post drydock, too. It goes in the month after the Pearl. Both will be newly refurbished ships in April.

I don't suppose you have any info on what's being done in dry dock? Sailing the Pearl in July.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't suppose you have any info on what's being done in dry dock? Sailing the Pearl in July.

Nothing more than anyone else here really. To quote the Cruise Critic page on upcoming dry docks, "Public areas, including restaurants and lounges, will be redecorated. Staterooms will get a modernization."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

We took a similar cruise this last Mar. on the Pearl. The only port that was not desirable was Colon....but if you do an excursion off the ship once you get to Lake Gatun you only experience the port for an hr or two, which is still to much IMHO.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks folks. If the photographs on the NCL website are anything to go by then I'm glad it's getting a revamp. It looks very cheap and gawdy which is surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guess you are talking about the Jade? It was originally the Pride of Hawaii and only lasted there a couple years before going to Europe for quite some time - they left most of the decor intact up to this point.

Guess you are talking about the Jade? It was originally the Pride of Hawaii and only lasted there a couple years before going to Europe for quite some time - they left most of the decor intact up to this point.

No, The Pearl. Some of the photos on the UK website make it look awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, The Pearl. Some of the photos on the UK website make it look awful.

OP here- from Largs lol. I you tubed both and thought the Pearl looked better on the clips than on the UK web site, however the colour scheme on the Jade is something else.

Thanks to all the responses - As yet I am undecided- dates of the Jade are better for us (after Easter, thus can spend easter with family grown up /student daughters and parents ). And would be away for DH 50th Bday which would we good . But the Pearl itinary looks so good - Decisions.......

NCL went with the aqua and purple color schemes on the Jewel class ships with some gaudy brass accents thrown in. Check out photos of the Pearl's sister ship the Gem, after her 2015 refurb. The new designs and color schemes are a lot more contemporary and a lot calmer. It will be very similar on the Pearl and the Jade for your cruise.

Edited by jpcdds6

I sailed The Gem in 2010 (my first cruise) and don't remember it being too bad. Since then it's been Epic, Breakwawy and Escape, which have all been tastefully done in my opinion.

Largs? I'm in Irvine. [emoji1]