Luggage after cruise

indycruisevirgin

We will be on the Carnival Glory that comes back Jan 7th. We usually stay a day or 2 after but this time we are flying back home on return day. Our flight does not leave till 8 and not sure what our options were for our luggage. The Southwest flight says we can not check it in till 4 hours before time of flight. Any suggestions?

We will be on the Carnival Glory that comes back Jan 7th. We usually stay a day or 2 after but this time we are flying back home on return day. Our flight does not leave till 8 and not sure what our options were for our luggage. The Southwest flight says we can not check it in till 4 hours before time of flight. Any suggestions?

Are heading for the airport immediately after debarking? You'll just take it with you and baby-sit it until you can check in. We had to do that on our last Alaskan cruise, couldn't check in until 4 hours before, and the cruise line transfer got us to the airport almost 6 hours ahead.

If you're taking a cruiseline transfer that includes a small tour (if Carnival is offering one), often your bags will just be loaded beneath the bus for the duration of the tour, before drop off at the airport.

Otherwise, a rental car would be about your only option, as airports don't have lockers any longer for luggage storage.

I am guessing you are referring to a port in Florida?

It is frequently suggested to see if Carnival offers excursions that drop you at the airport in the afternoon. It is also frequently suggested that renting a car and building your own little excursion is a possibility.

I would compare the price of: post cruise excursion (that will still leave you waiting for about 7 hours at the airport), to a "day room" at a hotel, to changing to an earlier flight. "Killing time" is awful....my choice would be to change to an earlier flight...anything around 11-12 will do just fine!

I would compare the price of: post cruise excursion (that will still leave you waiting for about 7 hours at the airport), to a "day room" at a hotel, to changing to an earlier flight. "Killing time" is awful....my choice would be to change to an earlier flight...anything around 11-12 will do just fine!

If you cannot get an earlier flight, a hotel day room could let you hang out and relax - or a less expensive alternative would be to rent a car at the airport and do some local sight--seeing with your luggage in the trunk - probably a good deal cheaper than a day room.

Well, if you have an AMEX Plat or Centurion card, you can wile away some hours in the Centurion Lounge. I've been in the one at SFO and I love it. Real food, good wine, places to sit and unwind. Or, activate your Priority Pass membership (you get it with the Plat/Cent also) and go to one of the PP clubs at MIA.

It sounds like you don't want to spend the extra money for the hotel so you are doing the overnight. I actually would do a hotel room either way: if you do the overnight, book a room for the night you leave and call the hotel and say you will be an early morning arrival. That way, the room will be available when you get there at 6:30am and you can keep it until most likely noon (maybe later if you want and NICELY ask the Front Desk to extend). Example: your flight is at 11:55pm on Friday. Book the hotel room for Friday. Or, your flight is at 00:35 Friday night/Saturday morning, book the hotel for Friday. It's really important to CALL the hotel to let them know what you are doing. Otherwise, you get marked as a "no show" when the night audit is run...

Or, as someone else suggested, go to a nice hotel, give the bell staff your luggage (with a nice tip), and go have breakfast/brunch in the hotel restaurant. Spy out a spot in the public areas where you can relax afterwards. I can always find a nook in the lobby to hang...

I always rent a car before and after cruises. It is usually surprisingly affordable, and many times the same or less than the cruise line transfers.

That way I can see what I want to see and do what I want to do.

If you use Budget the Location code for the Miami Cruise port is P2F. You can return the car to the airport. Budget rental car has a shuttle that picks you up for free and brings you to the rental car location. I have used this before on my Majesty cruise a few years ago. It was great being able to see things instead of just sitting.

I checked on the day you are arriving (7 Jan 2017), an a full size car is around $80. You can go to a museum, a Mall, or even just drive around and see the sights.

Then drop it off at the airport.

Edited by reedl