Disappointed Chef - Let down by Cruise Dictator Ken Mills

DisappointedChef

As an ardent fan of Bravo's Top Chef, selecting the Celebrity Solstice was a cherry pick! The Top Chef at Sea competition was on the penultimate day of the Cruise so I waited my turn patiently. I reported to the venue early, sat in the front row....and was confident my passion for all things culinary would stand me in good stead. I was the first one on my feet when Contestants were called for. Imagine my disappointment when Cruise Director Ken Mills picked only contestants who were parts of large groups (because he wallows in applause and attention!). Ironically all contestants were American and the rest of the world was just NOT represented. Ken has no answer when queried why he had picked only Americans. 2 of his picks could barely peel a potato and of the 2 finalists......one couldn't remember the sauces her dish were embellished with, and the other couldn't remember the name of his dish. The Cruise Director and the Executive Chef reduced the decorous character of Top Chef to farcical buffoonery!!! Apart from sullying the good name of the World Class competition, eponymous with the Culinary Artists that frequent it, I was deprived of the opportunity of a lifetime only because of a discriminating Cruise Director! Ken Mills made it very obvious that the "Top Chef at Sea" is nothing more than a tick on his weekly To-Do list, and that lack of empathy unfortunately killed my dream. Cooking, is after all, what I am most passionate about. Regrettably there is no "Undo" button on the damage done.

Edited by DisappointedChef
punctuation

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm so sorry you were disappointed. Don't know what you could have done differently except maybe to talk to Ken (have sailed with him several times) beforehand to tell him how much you wanted to do this. With only three to be selected, lots of folks were going to be left out. I doubt he could tell your nationality by seeing you in the front row.

Not sure about the Soltice, but on a recent HAL cruise, you could purchase the opportunity to do something like this. We didn't but our friend did and enjoyed it. They also have a staff person who is assigned to the Culinary Center. The Culinary activities are not a big draw for me but I realize a lot of people really enjoy them.

As an ardent fan of Bravo's Top Chef, selecting the Celebrity Solstice was a cherry pick! The Top Chef at Sea competition was on the penultimate day of the Cruise so I waited my turn patiently. I reported to the venue early, sat in the front row....and was confident my passion for all things culinary would stand me in good stead. I was the first one on my feet when Contestants were called for. Imagine my disappointment when Cruise Director Ken Mills picked only contestants who were parts of large groups (because he wallows in applause and attention!). Ironically all contestants were American and the rest of the world was just NOT represented. Ken has no answer when queried why he had picked only Americans. 2 of his picks could barely peel a potato and of the 2 finalists......one couldn't remember the sauces her dish were embellished with, and the other couldn't remember the name of his dish. The Cruise Director and the Executive Chef reduced the decorous character of Top Chef to farcical buffoonery!!! Apart from sullying the good name of the World Class competition, eponymous with the Culinary Artists that frequent it, I was deprived of the opportunity of a lifetime only because of a discriminating Cruise Director! Ken Mills made it very obvious that the "Top Chef at Sea" is nothing more than a tick on his weekly To-Do list, and that lack of empathy unfortunately killed my dream. Cooking, is after all, what I am most passionate about. Regrettably there is no "Undo" button on the damage done.

You're kidding right? I mean, you can't possibly be serious. Of a theater full of people you are sulking because you weren't one of 4 chosen and therefore make childish accusations of discrimination? This is intended to be satire, yes? In which case I find it funny. If not, I find it just weird.

Dear HokiePok,

Thanks for attempting to appease me......

It easy to dissect the past with coulda-woulda-shoulda attitude.......but I did pick Celebrity Cruises over the Competition SOLELY because of Top Chef. In my feedback form I have suggested they introduce a sign-up form for the passionate few who actually take the Culinary art seriously. I hadn't heard of the option (pay to be amongst the selected) that you mentioned, or I would definitely have gone for it. There was a complete lack of transparency and fair play.......and the whole competition was reduced to nothing but a "farce" by Ken Mills. All I saw on the in-house Channel was Ken singing......and that confirms that he loves the sound of his own voice......and doesn't give a rats ass about anyone else's feelings. Whichever way you slice it......Ken Mills crushed my dreams......as I will NEVER get an opportunity to have any association with an International Cookery show again.

I can assert firmly that Ken very clearly over-looked me because I bear dark hair and asian features.........and am not your stereotypical blonde-blue-eyed-Caucasian (from a large Group) that Ken honed in on. He actually looked right thru me. Cant say he missed me as I am 5' 10" and pretty well built. I did speak to him after the event......and he had NOTHING to say in his defence. Unfortunately for me.......the opportunity had passed and will NEVER come by again!

You're kidding right? I mean, you can't possibly be serious. Of a theater full of people you are sulking because you weren't one of 4 chosen and therefore make childish accusations of discrimination? This is intended to be satire, yes? In which case I find it funny. If not, I find it just weird.

No! I am NOT kidding.....because I take cooking THAT seriously. I picked Celebrity over their competition solely because of Top Chef! If my accusations are "childish"......why was Ken's reply to my Question "Why have you picked only Americans to compete" met with a feeble "I'll pretend I didn't hear your question and move on!!!!!"

If you had waited a lifetime for an opportunity to be part of a World Class cookery programme because you're THAT PASSIONATE about it.......you would have got my drift!

That's a severe accusation and not one you should be leveling against anyone without some proof. I held my tongue when you said he picked 3 Americans, implying a bias. If you believe you can determine that people are American just by looking at them, perhaps you could look closer for a person with biased opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add a comment, but I will refrain. Sorry(?) that you missed the opportunity. I guess you will need to cruise again for another chance to cook on a cruise ship.

Thanks for the sensitivity neverbeenthere. This experience deters me from wanting to put myself through it again. Don't want to risk another costly disappointment! Remember that we flew from Sweden to London and then Seattle.......

That's a severe accusation and not one you should be leveling against anyone without some proof. I held my tongue when you said he picked 3 Americans, implying a bias. If you believe you can determine that people are American just by looking at them, perhaps you could look closer for a person with biased opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Ken requested them to introduce themselves....he said " Tell us your name and which State you're from!!!!!!" Enuff said!!!!! Don't cast aspersions on me being discriminatory.

I am of "mixed race" descent and have dark hair, dark skin and Asian features......and I had spoken to Ken the evening before and told him that I had travelled far to be on this Cruise!!!!!

Edited by DisappointedChef
spelling

Dear OP:

The Top Chef cooking event is for entertainment of the masses, at least those who show up. The last thing they need is to select very skilled contestants. The fun for the audience is seeing things go wrong. The person who can't peel the potato or separate the egg yokes is real entertainment to many. Besides, the contestants really don't add in a significant way to the dish as the Chef does most of the work. The contestant is at most a Sous Chef peeling, slicing and dicing. Most certainly not something that a fine Chef would want on his resume. Celebrity does have some special Top Chef cruises with stars of the show and you might want to take one of those where you can learn and share.

I find this unreal. Top Chef on a cruise ship is just a farce planned to entertain people for a while. Even if you had been picked out of the many who wanted to be part of the show, what then? The prize is minimal. If you are that serious about cooking why not apply to the real Top Chef show on TV? I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

I find this unreal. Top Chef on a cruise ship is just a farce planned to entertain people for a while. Even if you had been picked out of the many who wanted to be part of the show, what then? The prize is minimal. If you are that serious about cooking why not apply to the real Top Chef show on TV? I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Hi Teabag,

Seeing as you are from Vancouver......hopping onto a Cruise is just a short drive away for you..........but we are based in a very remote part of SWEDEN, 4 hours away from Stockholm where all the action is!!!! I don't think a non-resident will qualify for the real-deal Stateside cookery shows on TV without an H1 visa or green-card. I'm not an expert....but I could be wrong. I would grab an opportunity like that with both hands if one ever crossed my path! I considered the Cruise as my "only" opportunity thus far.......

I can assert firmly that Ken very clearly over-looked me because I bear dark hair and asian features.........and am not your stereotypical blonde-blue-eyed-Caucasian (from a large Group) that Ken honed in on.

So are you saying he only picked blue eyed blondes?

Dear OP:

The Top Chef cooking event is for entertainment of the masses, at least those who show up. The last thing they need is to select very skilled contestants. The fun for the audience is seeing things go wrong. The person who can't peel the potato or separate the egg yokes is real entertainment to many. Besides, the contestants really don't add in a significant way to the dish as the Chef does most of the work. The contestant is at most a Sous Chef peeling, slicing and dicing. Most certainly not something that a fine Chef would want on his resume. Celebrity does have some special Top Chef cruises with stars of the show and you might want to take one of those where you can learn and share.

Hi Orator,

Here in Sweden we only have broadcasts of older seasons of Top Chef on TV. I just saw one episode filmed almost entirely on a Celebrity Cruise Liner yesterday......but once again......the contestants are all US Based Professional Chefs. I would willingly and happily sign up if the Competition was open to the rest of the world.

If I was one of the 4 selected for the Top Chef @ Sea.....I can assure you I would have requested the Ship's Chefs to take a back-seat and let me do justice to the job at hand.....as that would have injected a lot more creativity and originality to the "entertaining of the masses" aspect that you have referred to.

It's hard to describe and quantify "passion" in words......because actions speak louder than words......and plates please palettes better than words satiate hunger! LOL! That's an original quote!!!!:)

This was NOT an opportunity for a chef. It was a cruise ship game show. No different than the Marriage Show, Quest, Belly Flop or Mixologist contest on other lines. I am so sorry that you misunderstood and were disappointed. I'll leave your other comments without comment.

My husband, who is not a professional, but a serious amatuer, has been picked twice. But he knows going in that it's a game and the winner is the one who entertains the crowd.

This is one of the more interesting threads I've read in a while.

Thanks. I am a virgin-poster......but not a virgin-cruiser.

If anyone has any leads on specific Cruises that have any similar opportunities with renowned Cookery shows.......I'd be happy to hear about them! Hopefully they help water down the disappointment of The Solstice & Ken's snub!

the contestants are all US Based Professional Chefs.
Now, I'm really confused. First you say that 2 of the contestants could hardly peel a potato and now you are saying they were professional chefs. I find it really hard to believe that a professional chef can't peel a potato.

Hi Orator,

Here in Sweden we only have broadcasts of older seasons of Top Chef on TV. I just saw one episode filmed almost entirely on a Celebrity Cruise Liner yesterday......but once again......the contestants are all US Based Professional Chefs. I would willingly and happily sign up if the Competition was open to the rest of the world.

If I was one of the 4 selected for the Top Chef @ Sea.....I can assure you I would have requested the Ship's Chefs to take a back-seat and let me do justice to the job at hand.....as that would have injected a lot more creativity and originality to the "entertaining of the masses" aspect that you have referred to.

It's hard to describe and quantify "passion" in words......because actions speak louder than words......and plates please palettes better than words satiate hunger! LOL! That's an original quote!!!!:)

Hi DisappointedChef:

What you see on TV and what you see on the ship are two different cuts of meat. I can't imagine any of the Chefs would have allowed you the freedom to create. I've seen the event many times as I know many of the Executive Chefs and like to support them. I can assure you that I've seen a wide range of participants selected. My guess is that you looked serious when volunteering and they tend to look for people who appear to be outgoing and excited. Remember, it's not serious and just entertainment. I would like to commend you on your passion! I just love to meet people who have a passion for something and you certainly have it for cooking.