Urgent advice needed please

Jennifred

Hello there. Brand new to cruising and the forum šŸ˜Š I bought a cruise which leaves this Fri for seven nights, from a lady at work who was unable to go. It's now looking increasingly like I won't be able too either šŸ˜ž My husband has a mental illness (long term) which has been unusually bad the last few weeks I so want to go but it's just not looking possible.

If I can't go could someone please advise me as it's such short notice from what I can see P & O Won't transfer It to another cruise in the future, if I cancel with them I lose all the money and my insurance company won't cover for a spouse getting ill with a pre existing condition.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks so much

Hello there. Brand new to cruising and the forum šŸ˜Š I bought a cruise which leaves this Fri for seven nights, from a lady at work who was unable to go. It's now looking increasingly like I won't be able too either šŸ˜ž My husband has a mental illness (long term) which has been unusually bad the last few weeks I so want to go but it's just not looking possible.

If I can't go could someone please advise me as it's such short notice from what I can see P & O Won't transfer It to another cruise in the future, if I cancel with them I lose all the money and my insurance company won't cover for a spouse getting ill with a pre existing condition.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks so much

Ā 

I doubt that there's much anyone here can do. You seem to have checked all your options out:

Ā 

1. Take the cruise.

2. Cancel the cruise.

Ā 

If you cancel, you lose all your money you paid. That's what travel insurance is for. Some policies can cover family illnesses in cancellation coverage. It's always a good idea, when purchasing travel insurance that it gives you the coverage you want. They're not all the same.

You do have some options, but whether they are successful in another story.

Ā 

1. If your husband cannot travel, can he stay with someone to look after him? I figure that if he cannot travel that he cannot be left alone.

Ā 

2. Do you have a friend / relative who might be able to go with you, even pay for your husband's half of the cruise, or maybe give it as a gift to them in return or maybe them buying some drinks, excursions on board (some compensation to you)? Of course P&O will need to be agreeable to a name change. I did this on Cunard one time.

Ā 

3. While rare, cruise lines have been known to show some sympathy. Call P&O (it's really Carnival), and ask to speak to a supervisor to plead your case. They will never refund your money, but you might be able to still get a future cruise credit, if not for the full amount, but for some amount.

Ā 

Worth a try I say! Best wishes to you. :)

If a lady at work sold you the cruise because she couldn't go, who is the primary name on the cruise? At least one original booking name must be left on the cruise.

Ā 

I'm so sorry about all of the stress with your husband's illness.

Ā 

I was curious about this, also. Hopefully OP will see the question and answer.

Hello there. Brand new to cruising and the forum I bought a cruise which leaves this Fri for seven nights, from a lady at work who was unable to go. ....

Thanks so much

Ā 

How was the transfer of names done? Did you verify with the cruise line that your name was on their list for that cabin? I hope you didn't just give money to the lady without having the transfer of names done at the same time and verified by you with cruise line.

If your name is not on the cruise line's list, then your co-worker needs to return your money. Cruise cabins are not usually transferable, especially by private party -- just by cruise line.

Edited by NMLady

I'm so sorry for your situation. It won't help you this time, but if you try to go on another cruise, make sure you purchase travel insurance with "cancel for any reason" coverage. It doesn't refund everything you paid but my current policy will refund 75% of nonrefundable cruise/fly costs if we cancel. My health is iffy enough that I paid the extra money for that coverage fairly cheerfully. If I'm not here when it's time for the cruise, my husband will have enough to make him sad without thinking about the money we are out.

Ā 

Also, as a registered nurse, I think the suggestion of having a friend or relative care for your husband so you can go is an excellent idea. No matter how much you love him and want to be there for him, YOU need to take care of YOU first (or you won't be able to take care of him). I'm sure you would enjoy it more if you could both cruise, but even solo or with a friend, it will still be a wonderful experience and a mental as well as physical rest for you.

Edited by mamasylvia

I'm a little concerned about "bought from a lady at work" most cruises I know aren't transferable, or perhaps more accurately at least one of the original booked must remain on the booking.

Ā 

Ā 

As a former TA , I have never seen an exception to the rule that 1 original guest name must remain on any booking when changing names .not that it matters now but I hope OP was not scammed ?

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by MCC retired

Hello there. Brand new to cruising and the forum [emoji4] I bought a cruise which leaves this Fri for seven nights, from a lady at work who was unable to go. It's now looking increasingly like I won't be able too either [emoji20] My husband has a mental illness (long term) which has been unusually bad the last few weeks I so want to go but it's just not looking possible.

Ā 

Ā 

Can anyone please help?

Ā 

Thanks so much

Ā 

Ā 

"Preexisting condition" is a term that is a bit misleading. It actually doesn't necessarily mean a long term issue that has plagued someone for many years.

Ā 

Travel medical insurance has a "look back" period of so many months before you first paid a cruise deposit. If your medical reason for a trip cancellation involves a problem that first had manifested during the "look back" period or involves a problem that saw a significant change in a long term chronic issue during that same "look back" period (e.g., requiring Rx changes or specific Tx treatment), then you're dealing with what insurance considers a "preexisting condition."

A great example is a chronic bad back. If your bad back saw no changes in Dx, Rx or Tx during the "look back" but acted up after the insurance purchase and/or during the cruise, there should be no "preexisting condition." The key is what has happened during the "look back" - not after it.

So, if DH a significant mental status charge during your "look back" and you didn't secure a "waiver of pre-existing conditions" when you first purchased the trip insurance, you are probably (and sadly) SOL.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Hi, we had a similar situation this year with P & O and were able to choose another cruise within a year time frame...........but your situation where you have purchased from another person makes it awkward..... but if you have changed your names I can't see why they can't offer you the same exchange that we had. ...Maybe its because the cruise is really soon.......

Hi, we had a similar situation this year with P & O and were able to choose another cruise within a year time frame...........but your situation where you have purchased from another person makes it awkward..... but if you have changed your names I can't see why they can't offer you the same exchange that we had. ...Maybe its because the cruise is really soon.......

Ā 

This is only available if you have more than 90 days to departure and you have not paid the final balance.

Ā 

Val